Testimonials for Sponsors
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Testimonials for Sponsors

This is a discussion on Testimonials for Sponsors within the Problems/Complaints/Suggestions forums, part of the BCA Main Navigation category; With all the drama that often pops up with sponsor reviews (specifically not so great reviews) there could be a ...

Mr Know It all

Default Testimonials for Sponsors

With all the drama that often pops up with sponsor reviews (specifically not so great reviews) there could be a solution to preventing the back talk that causes most of it.

A testimonial is between the user and the sponsor, with the mods there to make sure it is constructive (or atleast non militant). Why should i be able to weigh in on someone elses review, there is no reason for it. Simply put, i dont know what that person experienced that one time shopping. A testimonial is supposed to raise concern or sing praise, or stay neutral. So why not create a testimonials sub forum for each sponsor (or amalgamated). The Only people who can reply should be the sponsors and the original poster. The mods are there to ensure its not just a flame (ie. move to holding pen), if not enough details are there, a mod can post asking for more detail.

Just like the classified there could be designations for the titile,
    Positive
    Negative
    Neutral
    and Neutral (Resolved) for those negatives that were addressed to the users satisfaction.

i know it can put heat on the sponsors, but someone here having a bad experience can easily go to a dozen directory sites on the net and leave a bad review that they cant address to solve. I also know its a lot of work to maintain such a thing, but im getting tired of reading arguments where there shouldn't be any
    Thekid, mikebike and sunshine_1965 like this.
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I have always tried to be fair when it comes to bad reviews with LFS, regardless of sponsors. Unfortunately whenever there is a BAD review on a LFS it always turns into a flame war, or it turns into a very long winded thread which goes on for over 100 posts and becomes a ramble. There is also the legal ramification for us for false claims which we will even joke about. Many times all together (sponsor or no) we have to remove the post from the board because it's gone off course, or become too much.

Your Suggestion is a great idea because it gives the OP the opportunity to list a review good or bad, and gives the LFS the opportunity to resolve the issue. There is ALWAYS going to be GOOD and BAD reviews about all LFS so this maybe a good opportunity to keep it more civil.

My rule will still stand about no bashing of LFS as this has possible legal ramifications for us. I would probably have in the rules the OP should take the first step and resolve the issue on their own before posting a negative review as i think this is self explanatory?

Is that kind of what you mean neven?
    http://www.topinvestingtools.com/ima...matedArrow.gif Support BCA Click HERE To Become A Donator

I like your suggestion Neven. There is no need for it to go on and on. It is true that we could all go to the same LFS and all have a different experience good or bad.
    10G Shrimp Tank. (RCS & Yellows) BNP's.
    20G creamsicle lyretail mollies,Sword-tails.
    90G 12+ Assorted BNP's, 1 Flower-horn,6 Rotkiel Sevrums & 4 short bodied Pearl-scale cichlids.
    135G 10 regular pearlscale cichlids, 3 salvini cichlid,1 Jaguar cichlid,1 Green terror,1 Jack Dempsey,2 Blood Parrots & a High fin spotted pleco.
    27G Discus 1 Red Melon & 2 Refraction D Crosses.

240th near Dewdney trunk rd
    East Maple Ridge

Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Very well thought out solution to an issue that has caused a lot of "drama" and bad feelings among members and LFS on BCA. I like it.

Mr Know It all

You hit it right on the nail with what i meant nicklfire.

If things do resort to bashing, i think we all can agree the mods should step in.
    A great way to prevent your opinion from being stashed away from the public eye is to improve your review writing skills. There's always something positive to say about most shops alongside what you didn't like, do that and your review will be more respected.

Things that you can take into account:
    Type of Fish stock, health of stock/tanks, selection
    Amount of inventory, organization of it, selection of brands
    Store Cleanliness, size of shop, Accessibility, Staff knowledge and customer service
    33G Reef || 20G Chain Loach Tank || 9.8G Twin Tanks || 2.5G Nano Tank
    Neven's Planted Addiction
    Neven's 33G Reef!

IMHO
    Sounds to me like just another way to put a muzzle on the membership voice.
    I also don't understand the fear of legal ramifications. All forms of media run opinionated stories. Wouldn't a simple cover statement on the home page that "the views & opinions expressed on this website are not necessarily those of the owners & operators of this site" or something along those lines keep the site safe?? Seems to work fine for others?? You can't help but be suspect of suggestions that strive to quiet the voices of the masses or the true intentions behind them. Especially when there is such glaring overt relationships between certain members & LFSs. Would kinda wash away the credibility of said testimonials. I think the start of a good idea but too restraining for an open public forum.
    Cheers!!
    Don
    Last edited by budahrox; 02-08-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    thefishwife and Ursus sapien like this.

Forum Snooper

I for one like to know where to go and where not to go. If there was a section that people could express their experiences that would be great. If someone had a general concern a LFS and noted that they are selling fish that look sick and or just would sell you anything, I want to know because stores like that are no different then a backyard dog breeder that doesnt care about there livestock, they just want the money. I went to 2 different LFS yesterday and one store was fully kept up looked really nice, while the other still had the same sick tanks with the same sick looking fish since the beginning for Christmas. Ive have noticed them selling them to the public, I do fear that there are a number of stores that arent fully capable of looking after these fish and they need to be way more informed, I like to go into a store and ask questions and they better be the right answer or close to. I saw someone buying a covict cichlid to add to their goldfish tank, the guy sold it to her anyways even though I spoke up and said that it would probably kill here goldfish and what ever else is in there. Im new to this site and I am on this all the time. Thank you to who ever feels that people should know where to go and not to go. Its the right thing to do!!!!!!!
    mikebike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by neven View Post

A testimonial is between the user and the sponsor, with the mods there to make sure it is constructive (or atleast non militant). Why should i be able to weigh in on someone elses review, there is no reason for it. Simply put, i dont know what that person experienced that one time shopping. A testimonial is supposed to raise concern or sing praise, or stay neutral. So why not create a testimonials sub forum for each sponsor (or amalgamated). The Only people who can reply should be the sponsors and the original poster. The mods are there to ensure its not just a flame (ie. move to holding pen), if not enough details are there, a mod can post asking for more detail.

Just like the classified there could be designations for the titile,
    Positive
    Negative
    Neutral
    and Neutral (Resolved) for those negatives that were addressed to the users satisfaction.

So I am not quite sure what you mean by this, I get the part where the user and sponsor can be the ONLY ONES to be able to reply to the testimonial. That way no one else can pipe in or reply to it - correct.

But whats the point of it, if no one can see it, OR as members we are able to see it, but just can't respond to it???

Our own member feedback is VERY open, anyone can click on our names and see it, which is GREAT, as it gives someone a chance to see what this person is like in buying and selling (just like ebay).

I think this is a GREAT start/idea of yours! But as Don said it does need tweaking indeed.

From Websters;
    Definition of TESTIMONIAL
    1: of, relating to, or constituting testimony
    2: expressive of appreciation or esteem <a testimonial dinner>
    No such a thing as a negative testimonial.
    This is why they're a commonly used marketing ploy by business owners.
    We have itrader, where all of this kind of info being suggested is already utilized.
    Seems redundant & directs the tone of the site to one of business advertisement and not of the hobby.
    Although related to the hobby but not the same thing. IMO I think that scrolling banners & personal sub-forums already allows enough provision for this purpose??
    Correct me if I'm wrong but when I first joined the site I was under the impression that Hobbyists were the main focus of this forum??
    Seems the flavor is changing, I sincerely hope not.
    Cheers!!
    thefishwife and mikebike like this.

Very Well Said Don!

When I joined too, it seemed hobbyists was the main focus, and now - well.....things do change, I get that, but it sure isn't the same.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast