SW Noob has questions!
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

SW Noob has questions!

This is a discussion on SW Noob has questions! within the Saltwater/Marine Fish/Coral/Clams/Inverts forums, part of the Saltwater Species category; Hello, BCA Salties! I just had a few questions and wondered where to start for prepping a nano reef. Is ...

Question SW Noob has questions!

Hello, BCA Salties!

I just had a few questions and wondered where to start for prepping a nano reef.

Is this possible to do in a 2.5? Or would a 5g be the smallest possible?

If a 2.5 IS doable, what would I need? What can I put in it? What chems/supplements would I need? Etc etc.

Thank you!
    I've become inSalted!
    90 Gallon Reef - Beginning stages

BC Reef Hobbyists:
    https://www.facebook.com/BCReefing

I'm NOT Afraid to Use My 'Like' Button! C:
    Need artwork done? A Banner or a Logo? Misc? Contact me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

You can go as small as you want, however the smaller you go the more volatile the system is going to be.

what would I need?
    Tank, Heater, Powerhead/HoB, liverock, light, and saltwater (salt mix+refractometer) are the very basic of needs.

What can I put in it?
    Corals, a few nano inverts, and nano fish.

What chems/supplements would I need? Etc etc.
    Nothing. Weekly water changes will suffice for most systems.

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Yes, less volume = more instability and greater likelihood of parameters going "out of whack" (scientific term) very quickly.

Reef tanks are not cheap and the costs can quickly add up when you take into consideration reef-capable lighting, corals, fish, etc.
    Scampi likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
    Yes, less volume = more instability and greater likelihood of parameters going "out of whack" (scientific term) very quickly.

Reef tanks are not cheap and the costs can quickly add up when you take into consideration reef-capable lighting, corals, fish, etc.
    Yup,

- have to agree with above. I started out with a 30 gallon and that was challenging enough.

AquaAddict
    Grimreaperz likes this.

Forum Newbie

I'm 3-4 months into a 15 gallon and I find it easy. Just need to educate yourself. Use the right equipment. You can't go wrong with some media. This will keep the nitrates and phosphates at zero. In combination with live rock and sand. Good lights. Good cleanup crew. Maybe a power head to keep the crap from settling and to get it into the filters. I would be really scared to do 5g as a novice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scampi likes this.

Mr Know It all

From first I read, the first SW aquarium was a starfish in a tiny porcelain bowl with no equipment. Well, unless you count the finger that stirs the water daily. Daily WC from the ocean
    My brother used to have a 5 or 10 g open top on his coffee table in the middle of his living room. Absolutely no equipment, just sand and rock, a coral beauty and a cleaner shrimp. Never seen him changed water for the year I lived with him. Top up just straight from the faucet (Calgary).
    I set up a 6g SW with a clown fish and a few mushrooms in my daughter's room. I did not look at it for months. Told her to add water from the faucet when the pump make noise. WC will be definitely 12 month+

It really depends what you want to achieve. 2.5 does not fit a whole lot and do the inhabitant justice.
    Scampi likes this.

Check out albert_dao's 10g nano
    Having a saltwater tank without corals is like a flower garden with just sticks

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
    Check out albert_dao's 10g nano
    Difference is that Albert has been reefing for a decade or more and could probably get away with doing a 2.5 or 5g, and Scampi is a fw person with ZERO sw experience. What Albert can get away with is world's away from what a true newbie should ever attempt, especially if $$ is an issue. If Albert experiences a serious problem with his 10g nano, he has other tanks he can place his livestock into to save them. He has access to nearly unlimited freshly mixed sw at any time at the store (I'm assuming his tank is set up at Oceanic) and even at home, he can quickly transfer his livestock to his other tank. Scampi would not have this "luxury"/resources and so the livestock would be at much greater risk under these circumstances.

A 10g is probably the smallest nano I would normally recommend a newbie to attempt, simply because its 4 times the volume of a 2.5g and twice the volume of a 5g. As they taught us in school, "The solution to pollution is dilution" (or was that Bill Nye the Science Guy?)

Is a 2.5g pico possible? Yes, if you have done your research, know fairly well what you're doing, can devote the time, $$ and effort to set it up properly and keep up with regular water changes. If time or $ or the ability to keep up with maintenance is an issue, then pico can quickly become 2.5g of stinking death and hair algae.

JMO & JME.

Anthony
    Scampi likes this.

This guy above knows his stuff.

My only advice is to spend a LOT of time reading before you do anything. I started with a 40g nano and even that had it's challenges. Please read on everything from the lighting, chemistry, mechanical, and biological aspects of operating a SW tank. It isn't as easy as adding salt to tap water and voila!

Don't let any one discourage you. If you want to make the jump, do it. I'll probably never go back to FW now that im a salty

Good luck!
    Scampi and Grimreaperz like this.
    be patient. i must keep reminding myself of this.
    ===================================
    40gal Marine Tank

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
    Difference is that Albert has been reefing for a decade or more and could probably get away with doing a 2.5 or 5g, and Scampi is a fw person with ZERO sw experience. What Albert can get away with is world's away from what a true newbie should ever attempt, especially if $$ is an issue. If Albert experiences a serious problem with his 10g nano, he has other tanks he can place his livestock into to save them. He has access to nearly unlimited freshly mixed sw at any time at the store (I'm assuming his tank is set up at Oceanic) and even at home, he can quickly transfer his livestock to his other tank. Scampi would not have this "luxury"/resources and so the livestock would be at much greater risk under these circumstances.

A 10g is probably the smallest nano I would normally recommend a newbie to attempt, simply because its 4 times the volume of a 2.5g and twice the volume of a 5g. As they taught us in school, "The solution to pollution is dilution" (or was that Bill Nye the Science Guy?)

Is a 2.5g pico possible? Yes, if you have done your research, know fairly well what you're doing, can devote the time, $$ and effort to set it up properly and keep up with regular water changes. If time or $ or the ability to keep up with maintenance is an issue, then pico can quickly become 2.5g of stinking death and hair algae.

JMO & JME.

Anthony
    When did he say he could accomplish what Albert has with his he simply said check it out this is what's possible with a small tank.

For a newbie to salt water I would recommend a 20 galon minimum 30 preferably and a 90 max it's easier would keep your mag cal and all at the right levels in a moderate size tank
    Scampi likes this.
    Tanks and stuff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast