100 (+/-) gallon square tank
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

100 (+/-) gallon square tank

This is a discussion on 100 (+/-) gallon square tank within the Tank Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; So after dilly-dallying for quite some time, I'm finally pushing forward with this project. Couldn't sleep tonight, so I thought ...

Default100 (+/-) gallon square tank

So after dilly-dallying for quite some time, I'm finally pushing forward with this project. Couldn't sleep tonight, so I thought I would start this journal after posting various questions on Tony and Shawn's threads about how to do various things.

Here's the basic concept:

Square trimless tank (30x30" footprint, 24" high). It's roughly about 100 gallons. Thanks will be Eurobraced at the top. I decided against Starphire glass after talking to various people here, and working through the cost versus visual difference of my concept.

Filtration will probably be an Eheim 2078, although originally it was going to be a 2028. I decided it wouldn't hurt to have more filtration. At this point, the filtration will probably be hard plumbed into the back of the tank because of the Eurobracing.

This will be a low/med light tank without CO2 injection to begin with. I plan to use Tek retrofits and moonlights to get the lighting effect I want.

Substrate will probably be pool filter sand. There will be at least one big stump thanks to April, and various stones and piece of slate (more to come on the decor a bit later).

Stand is going to be custom built by Target. We have run through various design ideas and so far, the leading one is an ADA style where which is flush with the tank to showcase the trimless glass tank. Unfortunately, because of the choice of final inhabitants, I won't be able to go open top, so it'll have a full canopy on top.

Inhabitants will be a group of L134's (what else beside plecos?) initially, but I have not worked out what all the other inhabitants will be yet. I am eventually wanting a small group of discus in there, but I'm undecided what type (wild vs domestic, solids vs. leopards, etc.)

Anyway, that should do it for now. I do not have any pics, as the only thing I have now is the filter, which I did take some pics of when I first got it, but accidentally erased the pics from my DSLR.

At this point, I'd like to thank for following people for inspiration and advice (direct or indirect): Charles for advice on fish and driving my pleco addiction, Tony1928 for his DIY on the big 400 gallon, Target for mutually motivating each other on getting more tank and fish, and Davej for helping me to procure the L134 group and being so kind as to hold the fish while I'm away and until the tank is ready (have not decided on this part yet, whether to put the L134 into the 125 or let Dave hold the fish until the tank is ready). Too many people have given me input on the Starphire vs non-Starphire to list here, so I won't list those people individually.

Wow, that was one long post with no pics...sorry. More to come tomorrow as I finalize my tank order.
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I was going to say...where r the pics? lol I was picturing it while i was reading this, oh boy wanna see pics so bad
    20g Saltwater
    20g Plecos and Guppies
    20g Demasonis

RIP Tyson, March 18th,1997-Dec 21st, 2010

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸(((º>¸¸
    `·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.

Sounds like its going to be a great tank Gary - congrats.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, Kim.

And just for you Claudia, I'll put a pic of the filter tonight.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Hey,

Great start on the journal! I wasnt aware that it was 100 gal, so i revise my suggestion for the loc line, i would maybe suggest the 3/4" locline and bulkhead. That's what i have on mine, so you can take another look at the pics on my journal and you will get a good idea of the size of the locline pipes and the bulkheads.

Thanks Shawn. I am actually getting the tank made by whoever J&L uses, and Jeff there has been amazing. I was very disappointed with several other vendors/LFS in the Lower Mainland I talked to. But once I remembered J&L and gave them a call, it's been smooth sailing. Jeff spent 30 minutes with me on the phone yesterday deciding on the options and where to place the holes and bulk heads. He also suggested I do that 45 degree bevel on the leading edge of the tank that is visible to the room. I'll discuss the bulkhead size with him today as he gets the final pricing on all the options for me.

To anyone else who wants a custom tank of any sort, I'd heartily recommend J&L. So far, my experience has been exemplary, and the prices are competitive. I'm going to be getting pretty much everything from them that I haven't got already, besides livestock. No need to shop online when you have pricing and service like this.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Forum Addicted
    Vancouver/Strathcona - I have my travel bubble

Congrats on the decision - I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Why do you say it needs to be covered with plecos and discus? Just curious. My 240 is uncovered and no major problems

Mr Know It all

Can't wait to see the blow by blow progress of this tank. Very unique design. If I had the time and space, I would love to do one of the many ADA style tanks. Planted tank is one area that I have yet to poke my head into. Tried SW, just didn't do anything for me. I love how you think too, if you are gonna do something, you may as well go all out. LOL. That is now my philosophy for fishkeeping.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    54g Rainbows and Rasboras
    100g Cube Discus Playground

Quote Originally Posted by josephl View Post
    Congrats on the decision - I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Why do you say it needs to be covered with plecos and discus? Just curious. My 240 is uncovered and no major problems
    Really? I didn't realize your tank was open top. Everyone has been telling me Discus are jumpers. I want to fill this cube to the top ADA style so I don't see any air. You don't think that's a concern? If so I'll also bevel the top edges and do light hangers instead.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Quote Originally Posted by tony1928 View Post
    Can't wait to see the blow by blow progress of this tank. Very unique design. If I had the time and space, I would love to do one of the many ADA style tanks. Planted tank is one area that I have yet to poke my head into. Tried SW, just didn't do anything for me. I love how you think too, if you are gonna do something, you may as well go all out. LOL. That is now my philosophy for fishkeeping.
    Thanks Tony. The reasoning for going all out is that my wife put her foot down and said no more tanks, so I'm upgrading the 20 gallon to this to keep the same number of tanks and I wanted it to be a showpiece in the living room. So it has to be silent, beautiful and fit in with the furniture and flooring. Also has to be low maintenance, so I'm not up to my elbows in it all the time like I am for the other tanks. I was thinking I would "T" off the outlet of the pump so that I could just pump the water out for water changes. I can't remember, but did you do that in your setup? I also want to run an inline Hydor heater.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast