2014 New Year New Aquarium 120 Gallon Planted Aquarium
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

2014 New Year New Aquarium 120 Gallon Planted Aquarium

This is a discussion on 2014 New Year New Aquarium 120 Gallon Planted Aquarium within the Tank Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Hi all, First time starting a tank journal. I've recently closed down by 35 22"x22"x22" planted cube aquarium. I wasn't ...

Forum Guru

Default2014 New Year New Aquarium 120 Gallon Planted Aquarium

Hi all,

First time starting a tank journal. I've recently closed down by 35 22"x22"x22" planted cube aquarium. I wasn't going to start this project until after April as my
    wife is expecting with our first child then, but I found some free time during this Christmas break and I decided to set up this aquarium with the go ahead from my wife

I would like to share my journey of this aquarium with everyone on this forum.

Took a few photos on my latest adventure.

The specs of this aquarium setup are:

120 ish gallon aquarium 48x24x24" bought off my friend who's also on this forum.
    TEK T5HO 8x54watt light fixtures, with 4 giesman aquaflora and 4 mid day tubes
    Eheim 2080 Filter
    Eheim 2075 Filter
    10lbs CO2 tank with a 3 way manifold on 24/7 with 2 diffusers in this tank
    6 bags of ADA Amazonia substrate

Some background:

I've fairly experienced with planted aquariums and have been successful with growing plants except my aquascaping sucks.
    I've had planted aquariums since 1996 and the usual method I use is high light, high co2, high water flow + heavy substrate fertilization.
    My cube aquarium is almost algae free except for the occasional BBA on the filter intake tubes, which I usually remove manually pretty easily.

Here's the start.

Here's the last images of my cube aquarium before tearing it down, most of the plants are out grown and needed a trim.

Here is a front tank shot

Here is the tank with the ada like cabinet my friend build for me

As you noticed the lights are a funky mixture since I've sold off most of my lights for this aquarium and I'm left with 46watt CFL's (which work great!)

Here is an image of my cube aquarium emptied
    My Aquarium Blog: (random thoughts written down) http://rwaquariumpages.blogspot.ca/

https://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...aquarium-74226 120 planted aquarium journal on BCA

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Guru

Ok that should be enough photos of my old aquarium, onto the new one.

This one's been sitting in my garage for about 4 months besides my motorcycle (so after removing the aquarium and shifting things around I can park my car inside my
    garage again!, enough of scraping the frost off my windows in the morning, the extra 5 mins of sleep helps!)

Finally got the tank in the location I wanted with my buddy Ed's help

Boxes of ADA Amazonia from Pat from Canadian Aquatics

DOH! only needed 6 bags of ADA, now I have 2 bags left over and some photos of the petrified wood I'll be using from King Ed Pets

Here's Ed extremely happy finally filling in the aquarium

One of the two monster filters I'm going to be using, an Eheim 2080 from JL Aquatics boxing day sale

Tank filled with water, super cloudy

The TEK T5HO Fixture from Tom Barr that I'm using for this tank

The two filters side by side Eheim 2075 and a Eheim 2080, unfortunately they are too big and won't fit in the custom cabinet for low viewing so had to put it on the side

Here's a tank only shot, I know the sponges on the filter intakes look ugly, but when the plants fill out it'll cover them

Here's a front tank shot with the cabinet

thanks for looking,

hope to update in another month when the plants fill out.

Ray
    My Aquarium Blog: (random thoughts written down) http://rwaquariumpages.blogspot.ca/

https://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...aquarium-74226 120 planted aquarium journal on BCA

Very nice Ray!! hey your aquascaping is at least 10 times better than mine lol It will be apisto heaven!

BTW I'm so jealous on this tank!!!! it's awesome!
    Vancitycam likes this.
    RSM 130- saltwater tank

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Very very nice, thanks for sharing.
    Congrats on the up coming baby by the way.
    Did you use any of the additive from ADA in your soil?
    Your Co2 is only a light green in your square tank, how do you keep that from going yellow with 24/7 Co2?

Forum Guru

thanks for the kind comments and thanks for looking,

I didn't use any additive for my ada soil, from my previous experience with ADA Amazonia, my plants grew fine without them or the powersand.

I've done a bit of research on this and some people swear by it some don't use it at all. So I'm cheap so I decided not to go with it this time.

My first planted tank was a 65ish gallon tank and I used normal gravel with a thin layer of peat and I used clay balls and the plants were growing nuts except when you pull the plants out the clay would make the water cloudy.
    Oh the co2 in my drop checker is usually dark green, it's light green in this photo because I haven't changed the indicator fluids. I have pretty high surface agitation so the oxygen levels should be pretty high in the tank also

I have collectoris, there's too many species in this tank and I'll have to remove a few species shortly. But I recently found some rotala sp. green finally after searching for a while for this plant, so I had to buy it and add it to this tank. That stuff grows easily so I might transfer it to my office planted tank instead.
    Last edited by rwong2k10; 01-01-2014 at 09:09 AM.

that is a lot of filtration... great looking tank.

Awesome. I'm sure you'll find that even with those 2 monsters that there is barely enough filtration for a fully planted CO2 injected, high light tank. A few questions just out of curiosity:

1. You bought the Tek from Tom? I know he's gone all ATI dimmable. Just wondering why you didn't go that route or LED? Cost considerations?
    2. Why 2 big canisters and not a sump? I know if I had to do a tank > 75 gallons from scratch again I'd sump it in a minute. Once again, Tom's gone all sumps in all his tanks and after close to 10 years of injecting CO2 and high light tanks, I'm tired of cleaning clogged up canisters and will likely never plan a new tank that is not sumped anymore.
    3. No solenoid? Why do you want to inject CO2 24/7? pH stability? Especially on a 120 gallon, you might find that you go through the CO2 very fast at 24/7. I am running a 20 lb tank in my 125 and it's low/med light and I only have to fill once a year. When I was going with more light and more complex plants I was going through the 20 lb 2x a year.

As for the ADA, I am with you totally. I love it, and I never used any additives. I think the rest of it is hocus pocus. I think the substrate is great by itself. If only it were cheaper. That 4x2 footprint allows so many options for scaping. The only thing that would scare me is the pruning. I am extremely happy with growing only slow plants in my ADA 12" cube because I only prune once a month.

Anyway, it's rare that someone on BCA would go high tech on a big tank like this and I love it and applaud you for doing it!
    Icemancometh likes this.
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

Well done, looks awesome and will get better when plants start growing Ed looks so excited hahahahah
    20g Saltwater
    20g Plecos and Guppies
    20g Demasonis

RIP Tyson, March 18th,1997-Dec 21st, 2010

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸(((º>¸¸
    `·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.

Forum Guru

Hi 2wheelsx2 and all,

Here's my responses to your questions, so my disclaimer is: it might not be the 'right' way of doing it but it's been successful for me for quite a few years so it's tried and true for the way I keep my planted aquariums.

The only algae problem I have is sometimes I get BBA on the filter intake tubes but I usually manually remove them.

1) it was partly cost reasons and partly not, the deal he had for them was too good to pass on them so I said what they heck why not. I was considering ATI dimmable lights but I've read too many issues with them on the forums and it's a pain in the butt to ship them back to the states for warentee purposes. Imagine a few weeks without lights on your planted tank, that would be a disaster! (I think, not too sure how the people in TO are coping with a week long power outage) TEK lights are tried and tested for many aquarists and it works for them.

I didn't go with LED because I was using similar LED's you are using the AQUA RAY products on my cube tank and with all conditions being the same, I found my plants didn't grow as well in LED lights vs. T5HO's. I can easily afford LED lights and I've used them, but I've sold off most of my LED lights already. maybe it was too much light, as I don't have a PAR meter, but I plan on getting one soon. If I recall correctly plants like my styrogene repens didn't respond well to the LED lights.

2) I'm a canister guy, maybe I'm too scared of sumps, getting the flow proper and flooding my living room. If someone can show me their sump setup and the way of the light I'd be interested one day for my next project.
    I've used Eheims since 1996 and until recently that filter was still running strong (Eheim 2217) so I've been successful with them, so why change it. Eheims, if I'm lazy, I clean them every 4-6 months and they're still fine. RENA XP filters, I had them without any issues but my friend has them and they leaked on him flooding his basement.

3) I do have a solenoid but it's plugged on 24/7. I used to time it similar to my lights, or before the lights go on the co2 turns on, but in the end I found mainly because of pH stability and pH swings.
    I currently have 2x10lb co2 tanks ,they lasted me 6 months on my cube tank, I bumped the bubble count slightly on my 120, but i'll use a drop checker to see (I do have a pH meter, too lazy to plug it in)
    I'm thinking of getting a 20lbs one since I have space to put it now. 10lbs costs $20 cash to fill at AW fireguard 10 mins from my house. So having 2 tanks is pretty nice to have.

Actually considering getting a high end regulator later either a green leaf one or a Swaglok one, right now I have a cheapie Milwaukee one.

Like I mentioned, these are techniques that have worked for me for quite a few years they might not be the 'right' or 'standard' way but it's been working fish are happy, plants are happy

But yeah trimming is a pain, I've limited myself to less stem plants, I've taken quite a bit of them out when transferring from my cube tank.

thanks for the kind comments!

my biggest problems are 1) collectoris and 2) scaping

I really want to scape this tank well but it's so much fun collecting rare and hard to find plants.

I have a few questions, I see stuart (crs fan) using one, but are the filter in line co2 diffusers more efficient, I bought one from HK and it was leaking so that was pissing me off, well and my wife
    I have a bunch of new glass diffusers left over but I find these fluval ones the easiest to use and to change the ceramic discs.

thx for looking!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    Awesome. I'm sure you'll find that even with those 2 monsters that there is barely enough filtration for a fully planted CO2 injected, high light tank. A few questions just out of curiosity:

1. You bought the Tek from Tom? I know he's gone all ATI dimmable. Just wondering why you didn't go that route or LED? Cost considerations?
    2. Why 2 big canisters and not a sump? I know if I had to do a tank > 75 gallons from scratch again I'd sump it in a minute. Once again, Tom's gone all sumps in all his tanks and after close to 10 years of injecting CO2 and high light tanks, I'm tired of cleaning clogged up canisters and will likely never plan a new tank that is not sumped anymore.
    3. No solenoid? Why do you want to inject CO2 24/7? pH stability? Especially on a 120 gallon, you might find that you go through the CO2 very fast at 24/7. I am running a 20 lb tank in my 125 and it's low/med light and I only have to fill once a year. When I was going with more light and more complex plants I was going through the 20 lb 2x a year.

As for the ADA, I am with you totally. I love it, and I never used any additives. I think the rest of it is hocus pocus. I think the substrate is great by itself. If only it were cheaper. That 4x2 footprint allows so many options for scaping. The only thing that would scare me is the pruning. I am extremely happy with growing only slow plants in my ADA 12" cube because I only prune once a month.

Anyway, it's rare that someone on BCA would go high tech on a big tank like this and I love it and applaud you for doing it!
    Fish rookie likes this.

Forum Guru

Oh also about the ADA, I've used it in previous tanks before with success, but I've tried the Fluval Stranum in my cube tank and plants were growing nuts and healthy, but when I bought 8 bags of ADA, I think my price per bag of ADA was cheaper than the bag of Fluval Stranum even with a 15% discount that king ed said they would give me if I buy 8 bags.

Yeah the ADA bactor stuff, I don't know anyone that uses those additives except Ed uses them bactor to feed his crs when he was breeding them
    Fish rookie likes this.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast