75-P planted tank
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

75-P planted tank

This is a discussion on 75-P planted tank within the Tank Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Well after looking at an empty 75P sitting on my kitchen table for nearly 4 months, I finally have it ...

Default 75-P planted tank

Well after looking at an empty 75P sitting on my kitchen table for nearly 4 months, I finally have it planted and on a dry start. Wasn't planning on doing a DSM but ran into an issue getting my CO2 tanks, it will probably work for the better anyways as Im pretty sure most of the plants were grown emmersed.

Tank/Equipment Specs:

-ADA 75P 75x45x45cm (38gal?)
    -ADA substrate system (powersand, 5 elements, new Amazonia)
    -Eheim 2217
    -Cal Aqua Lily pipes
    -10# Co2 tank
    -Dual stage matheson reg
    -DIY Cree LED build w sunrise/set controller (light in pics is 24w T5HO)
    -DIY stand
    -hydor 200w inline heater
    -Atomic diffuser
    -Ryouh stone
    -EI/dry macro/micros

Flora:

-Crypt Lucens
    -C. Petchii
    -C. Parva
    -C. Nurii
    -Downoi
    -Ranalisma rostrata
    -Tonina sp Manus
    -Ludwigia Arcuata
    -Rotala sp nanjenshan
    -Hygro polysperma Ceylon
    -Nesaea Crassicaulis

Fauna:

-none for a couple months

Iphone pics for now:

blank canvas

powersand first

5 elements, forgot to take a pic before dumping amazonia

part way through planting, almost there

done planting! only have two leftover portions of plants, I couldn't cram any more in!

hardscape view, ideally the rocks should be about 2/3 height wise of the tank, but that requires much larger rock than what I used. doing DSM will allow me to tweak it if needed.

Thanks for looking, open to suggestions, all and any criticism welcome!

Trout
    Last edited by trout; 06-19-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: title update
    monkE, timv, macframalama and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator SeaHorse_Fanatic's Avatar

Looks awesome. I've never done an aquascaping first before adding water. Looks very realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
    Looks awesome. I've never done an aquascaping first before adding water. Looks very realistic.
    Thanks! The goal was to have it look as natural/realistic as possible. Everyone thats seen it in person so far (non aquarium folk) have said it really looks natural.

It's my first time doing a DSM so fingers are crossed . I will say though that its probably 500 times easier planting like this vs planting with water in it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Day 3 update since planting. Almost every plant is responding and perking up since initial planting except for one type of crypt of course the best one too.

couple photos taken inside the tank, too much moisture on the glass for a outside full tank shot.

left side

right side

timv likes this.

I've not tried it, but some say certain Crypts are sensitive to the initial ammonia leaching from ADA. The DSM works great. I didn't that with my ADA cube with HC and got them rooted, was impatient and flooded it after 3 weeks and pumped tons of CO2 into it.

I really like your scape, and of course, am a big fan of the ADA tanks and setup. Can't wait to see how your DIY LED array will look like, as I got an AquaRay tile on mine. BTW, where did you get your Matheson reg? Off one of the CO2 builders like customCO2.com? Or did you build it yourself?
    My 100 gallon square tank
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    Saving the world from being plecoless, one at a time....
    No more sig pics

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    I've not tried it, but some say certain Crypts are sensitive to the initial ammonia leaching from ADA. The DSM works great. I didn't that with my ADA cube with HC and got them rooted, was impatient and flooded it after 3 weeks and pumped tons of CO2 into it.

I really like your scape, and of course, am a big fan of the ADA tanks and setup. Can't wait to see how your DIY LED array will look like, as I got an AquaRay tile on mine. BTW, where did you get your Matheson reg? Off one of the CO2 builders like customCO2.com? Or did you build it yourself?
    Ya have been worried about the more sensitive plants (C. nurii, tonina) getting "burned" by the initial ammonia leaching Amazonia is known for. On the plus side, since the plants appear to be mostly cultivated emmersed, i think it'll be a little easier on them going DSM, once less thing to stress them.

Just got the LED's hung today, will get some pics later. I am a little disappointed with the spread however, have to hang a little higher and sacrifice some intensity. Got the matheson awhile back from a builder in the states. Excited to finally try it out....first time going pressurized

Thanks for the kind words!

Wow, DIY LED, ADA AS and tank, Matheson dual stage reg and....you're living the planted tank dream, which is doing it right the first time. Congrats on choosing to go that route instead of messing up several times by cheaping out and then doing it right finally, like most of us.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    Wow, DIY LED, ADA AS and tank, Matheson dual stage reg and....you're living the planted tank dream, which is doing it right the first time. Congrats on choosing to go that route instead of messing up several times by cheaping out and then doing it right finally, like most of us.
    It really is my dream tank, well.....it was.....

Been there, done that. Doing things right the first time in this hobby is a lesson I believe can only be learned the hard way. Not saying that's the only way to do things, just my 2 cents having put myself through frustration in the past, good learning curb though.

This build took over 4 months of planning, saving, ordering equipment, cursing UPS etc. Planning is key. I dont even want to think about total cost as its an obscure amount...and I will likely never tally it all up for my own mental benefit
    mdwflyer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trout View Post
    This build took over 4 months of planning, saving, ordering equipment, cursing UPS etc. Planning is key. I dont even want to think about total cost as its an obscure amount...and I will likely never tally it all up for my own mental benefit
    I hear you on that. I don't do the math on my tanks anymore as it's too painful.
    trout and Transposon like this.
    My pleco picture thread
    46 Gallon Bowfront
    ADA Cube Garden
    No more sig pics

heres a pic of my LED rig just after I built it. consists of 12 cree xml's, dim 4 controller, two 12vdc fans, and a chunk of extruded aluminum as a heat sink. no additional drivers, all powered off the controller but is only capable of driving 3 xml's in series @ 500mA , well below the 3000mA they can handle.

LED build behind 24"/W T5HO with giessman midday.

white balanced to get a better view

Last edited by trout; 04-24-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: more photos
    Tommy72a likes this.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast