Aquascaped 3.4g Dwarf Puffer Tank (pictures)
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By freshwaterguy4u
  • 1 Post By freshwaterguy4u
  • 1 Post By tredford8

Aquascaped 3.4g Dwarf Puffer Tank (pictures)

This is a discussion on Aquascaped 3.4g Dwarf Puffer Tank (pictures) within the Tank Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; I'm getting back into the hobby and I want to try doing a proper planted aquascape. And would appreciate ideas ...

Forum Newbie

Default Aquascaped 3.4g Dwarf Puffer Tank (pictures)

I'm getting back into the hobby and I want to try doing a proper planted aquascape. And would appreciate ideas on the aquascape and setup.

>Aquarium is 11 inches high by 7 3/8 inches wide and 10 1/4 inches long.

Equipment:
    Fluval Plant Nano LED with Bluetooth - 15 Watt
    Zoo Med Nano 10 External Canister Filter, upto 10 Gallons
    Seachem Matrix/Eheim Substrat Pro mix
    1.5g snail refugium tank
    Brine shrimp hatchery

Plants so far:
    Anubias
    Anubias Nana
    Christmas moss
    Java moss
    Bucephalandra Catherine
    Alternanthera Reineckii

Additives:
    Tropica 714 Nutrition Capsules
    Nutrafin Plant Grow
    Seachem Stability
    Seachem Pristine
    Boyd Vita Chem Freshwater

Ideas for aquascape:
    35718165623_82b0235d2b_b.jpg
    39a67775e2904c2537075708507d1adb.jpg
    aquascape-aquarium-nano-random-tank.jpg
    e0f55a9ca166b410a0327c7493a66f2d--nano-aquarium-aquarium-ideas.jpg
    Last edited by freshwaterguy4u; 04-12-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    tredford8 and Bigpoppa1980 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Temp aquascape

20190416_142459.jpg

Cryptocoryne parva
    Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"
    Bucephalandra sp.
    Hygrophila araguaia
    Anubias(type unkown)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freshwaterguy4u; 04-16-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    toppy likes this.

Forum Beginner

Nice start! I've had H Araguaia for only a couple months now, but I'm really liking it. It has been growing pretty decently in my low tech setup, so should be good for you, too. Now you just have to wait for the plants to grow in.
    freshwaterguy4u likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tredford8 View Post
    Nice start! I've had H Araguaia for only a couple months now, but I'm really liking it. It has been growing pretty decently in my low tech setup, so should be good for you, too. Now you just have to wait for the plants to grow in.
    Thanks man! It is a little sparse right now, but I can't afford to buy 30 $12 plants. The rock is a little big for this size of tank. I really like the look of it though, may have to buy a 55g to use it in I guess. I want to use branches and glue weeping moss to them, as well as the Bucephalandra. It's finding the wood branches that I'm finding hard. I might have rocks built up on one side like in the third picture and glue a branch to the rock.
    tredford8 likes this.

Forum Newbie

Nitrate spike to 110mg/L. Did 50% water change, added tetra safe start and cleaned the filter with tank water. Removed any snails and tried to find some rotting snails, but found none.

Moved puffers and otto to betta tank. One of the puffers looks sick. Is there anything I can do to help him? What should I do about the display tank?

Forum Newbie

20190516_184956_HDR.jpg

Does this look alright? I'm thinking of covering the branch in creeping moss and gluing the Bucephalandra sp. midway up the branch. Also gluing anubias nana to the other stone.
    tredford8 likes this.

Forum Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterguy4u View Post

Does this look alright? I'm thinking of covering the branch in creeping moss and gluing the Bucephalandra sp. midway up the branch. Also gluing anubias nana to the other stone.
    Starting to fill in and look good. I think the branch would definitely look better with more moss on it and some Buce. I think the hardscape looks a little unnatural as it currently is, with two rocks standing pretty much straight up and the branch going between, but that may just be personal preference. I would maybe try grouping the rocks and the branch together in some way. Try a few different formations and see if you like any. Having the moss and Buce grow between the rocks and wood may give a more natural appearance, too.

Forum Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tredford8 View Post
    Starting to fill in and look good. I think the branch would definitely look better with more moss on it and some Buce. I think the hardscape looks a little unnatural as it currently is, with two rocks standing pretty much straight up and the branch going between, but that may just be personal preference. I would maybe try grouping the rocks and the branch together in some way. Try a few different formations and see if you like any. Having the moss and Buce grow between the rocks and wood may give a more natural appearance, too.
    Maybe remove some of the anubias and attach pieces of moss on the rock too? I was thinking anubias on the rock for anubias nana to give it better scale.

I am getting an ADA 10g for the puffers and keeping the shrimp in the 3.4g.

What about having the anubias and lava rock being the center piece of the 10g and moss and dragon stone being the center piece of the 3.4g?

Forum God

Looks good to me. I would put a paper or something outside the back of the tank so the equipment isn't so visible.

Forum Newbie

20190531_134935.jpg

Moved the blue dreams in along with the otto. Put a sock of the filter for the shrimplets.

Nitrates are zero

Using purigen now and dosing .3 ml of flourish excel daily.

More weeping moss ordered for the branch. Bought some weeping moss from 1-2 grow but it looks way different than the stuff from the plant guy. Ordered more from the plant guy, it's by far my favorite moss in colour and structure.

Puffers are in the 1.5g for now, feasting on mosquito larva.