• 1 Post By battmanh
  • 7 Post By battmanh
  • 1 Post By battmanh
  • 1 Post By rwong2k10
  • 3 Post By mysticalnet
  • 6 Post By battmanh
  • 1 Post By The Guy

battmanh's 60P Planted Tank

This is a discussion on battmanh's 60P Planted Tank within the Tank Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Hello everyone. I wanted to share my ADA 60P tank progress journal with all of you. I have been delaying ...

Defaultbattmanh's 60P Planted Tank

Hello everyone. I wanted to share my ADA 60P tank progress journal with all of you. I have been delaying sharing because I was not satisfied with the tank for a long time. Now that I am somewhat happy with the progress, I feel confident in sharing some pictures and my thoughts behind the tank.

The details below are for my tank currently (as of April 7, 2016):

HARDWARE:
    Tank: ADA 60P
    Filter: Eheim 2213 + Eheim 2211
    Light: Ecoxotic E-60 (W:75, R:100, G: 80, B:0)
    Substrate: 9L ADA Amazonia + 1L Pool Filter Sand
    Hardscape: Mix of unknown rock and Manten stone + Manzanita branches
    CO2: 10 lb CO2 tank + regulator + solenoid + ADA Pollen Glass Type-2 diffuser

FAUNA:
    Neon tetras – 10
    Galaxy rasboras – 4
    Corydoras habrosus – 10
    Corydoras pygmaeus – 8
    Siamese algae eater – 1

PLANTS:
    (From left to right, back to front)
    Pogostemon erectus
    Ludwigia sp. red
    Rotala rotundifolia
    Rotala macrandra
    Limnophila aromatica
    Hygrophila pinnatifida
    Alternanthera reineckii ‘Rosanervig’
    Staurogyne repens
    Hemianthus micranthemoides
    Alternanthera reineckii ‘Mini’
    Hemianthus callitrichoides
    Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'
    Fissidens fontanus
    Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'

SCHEDULE:
    Dosing:
    KNO3 (1 1/2 tsp in 100mL) – 10mL 3x a week
    KH2PO4 (1 tsp in 100mL) – 10mL 3x a week
    K2SO4 (1/2 tsp in 100mL) – 10mL 3x a week
    Seachem Flourish – 2.5mL 3x a week
    Seachem Iron – 2mL 3x a week
    Seachem Equilibrium – 3/4 tsp 1x a week at water change
    *Note: I came across many deficiencies over the life of the tank and constantly adjusted to come to this dosing scheme. I will likely increase the dosing again soon because I am noticing deficiencies.

Light + CO2:
    Lights – 12:00PM-7:45PM
    CO2 – 9:30AM-7:30PM at 3-4 bps according to my bubble counter
    *Note: From the beginning my light schedule has largely remained the same (+/- 15 minutes) while CO2 is constantly being increased when deficiencies are noticed. If you’re thinking about buying an ADA diffuser – DON’T. It produces large bubbles that rise quickly through the water and pop in to the atmosphere, effectively wasting a ton of CO2.

Water change:
    50-70% once a week
    *Note: I used to use a 3 gallon bucket to change water (~3 buckets full per change) which is pretty slow and inconvenient. Now I use a python hose and it is honestly the best investment I have ever made for the fish tank.

December 9, 2015
    First I added the stones to make two mountain-like structures. Then I added sand to form a path leading to nowhere and ADA Amazonia for plants to fill up around the stones. I wish I had made slopes using the sand and soil to create more depth but as you may be able to tell, I do not have much of an artistic vision... I was convinced it just looks crappy because the plants haven’t filled in so I let them grow.

December 27, 2015
    I had some Manzanita branches lying around so I thought it might be nice to add them to the scape to tie it together. I also changed the foreground from Micranthemum umbrosum ‘Monte Carlo’ to Eleocharis acicularis ‘Mini’ and Pogostemon helferi. Plants grew in and it was still looking crappy to me. *Note: I still did not have CO2 running in the tank at this point because I didn't want to go and get my CO2 tank filled, however the plants still grew pretty decently.

February 2, 2016
    Big time-leap from the last picture. Plants grew in more and I was a little happier with it but still not something I was too proud of. Looked like I just threw in a whole bunch of plants and grew them where I had space. Finally added CO2 at some point before this.
    Last edited by battmanh; 04-08-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    Jousters likes this.
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

ADA 45P Shrimp & Buce Tank
    ADA 60P High Tech Planted - Addicted to Stems!
    ADA 90P CAF Discus Grow Out Contest

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

March 3, 2016
    Major rescape! I was running out of space for plants to grow and I did not like having so much sand in the tank so I replaced the sand in the back and left side with ADA Amazonia. One thing I really disliked about the sand was that the soil always found its way to it and mixed to make it look like a mess. Still not happy with the tank at this point though.

March 13, 2016
    Added Manten stone to separate the soil and the sand so I wouldn’t have to deal with the mixing as much. I was getting decent growth but all the stem plant bushes looked so sparse.

March 28, 2016
    Finally learned to cut the stems, remove the bottoms and replant the plants in order to have the stems grow in a nicely placed fashion (see Pogostemon erectus on the left). The tank was originally in my living room which has yellow walls but I moved it to my bedroom which has dark walls. The difference is insane! I should have added a dark background to my tank a loooooong time ago and I will definitely look in to adding black vinyl or black paint to the back of my planted tanks in the future. At this point I am feeling a lot better about my tank and I have learned a lot over the 4 months that it has been running.

Thanks for reading! If you have any suggestions of stem plants that I can put between the Rotala macrandra and Limnophila aromatica please let me know!
    Last edited by battmanh; 04-07-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    trixy, Reckon, Droop and 4 others like this.
    Apparent "SJW for the aquarist that can't travel or doesn't want to." Fighting for your right to ask for delivery since 2016!

MDT

Wow, this is just so great Matt. Nice work. I love seeing fish tanks slowly but surely come together. Cant wait to see more.
    And yeah, I started using black backgrounds ever since I got into planted tanks and I can't go back.

Keep it up!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Yup! Getting a planted tank to the way you want it to is a learning process. But looks like you are getting the hang of it!
    Looks great! I like the pool of white in the front instead of the prior path. I think it looks much more proportionate to the plants you keep.
    5gal ADA Mini M low tech: Weeping moss and Taiwan Bees
    50gal high tech planted: Ember Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Otos

Oooh I get it: Boy fish + Girl fish = Fry + MTS
    Plants are pretty + Various Species = Aquascaped MTS

Quote Originally Posted by MDT View Post
    Wow, this is just so great Matt. Nice work. I love seeing fish tanks slowly but surely come together. Cant wait to see more.
    And yeah, I started using black backgrounds ever since I got into planted tanks and I can't go back.

Keep it up!
    Thanks! The tank will likely keep changing with different plants and hardscape until I am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckon View Post
    Yup! Getting a planted tank to the way you want it to is a learning process. But looks like you are getting the hang of it!
    Looks great! I like the pool of white in the front instead of the prior path. I think it looks much more proportionate to the plants you keep.
    Thank you Lawson! I'm hoping I become better with arranging hardscape and sand/substrate so that I will eventually be able to make proper 'mountains' and paths. I just picked up another 60P so maybe I will start another tank
    Dou likes this.

Forum Guru

great looking start!

can't wait to see the progress and photos!
    battmanh likes this.
    My Aquarium Blog: (random thoughts written down) http://rwaquariumpages.blogspot.ca/

https://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...aquarium-74226 120 planted aquarium journal on BCA

Hey your Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' looking good!! Subscribed!
    Last edited by mysticalnet; 04-14-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
    rwong2k10, battmanh and geealexg like this.
    Visit my aquarium videos:
    Mystical Underwater Forest

Quote Originally Posted by rwong2k10 View Post
    great looking start!

can't wait to see the progress and photos!
    Thanks Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticalnet View Post
    Hey your Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' looking good!! Subscribed!
    Thanks Ash!

July 9, 2016
    Over the past few months I began to neglect the tank because I just wasn't happy with it. Tore out the carpet and redid it. I forgot how slow it grows!

July 21, 2016
    Removed all the sand and changed out the rocks for Manten stone and I am much happier with how it looks. It will still take a couple months to fill in. I don't think I want to keep the tank with two carpets but haven't decided whether to stick with DHG or HC.

Thanks for reading!
    The Guy, Droop, MDT and 3 others like this.

Nicely done looks great
    battmanh likes this.
    Back in the hobby, 1- 20 gallon shrimp tank and a 42 gallon community corner tank