Hello everyone. I wanted to share my ADA 60P tank progress journal with all of you. I have been delaying sharing because I was not satisfied with the tank for a long time. Now that I am somewhat happy with the progress, I feel confident in sharing some pictures and my thoughts behind the tank.
The details below are for my tank currently (as of April 7, 2016):
Tank: ADA 60P
Filter: Eheim 2213 + Eheim 2211
Light: Ecoxotic E-60 (W:75, R:100, G: 80, B:0)
Substrate: 9L ADA Amazonia + 1L Pool Filter Sand
Hardscape: Mix of unknown rock and Manten stone + Manzanita branches
CO2: 10 lb CO2 tank + regulator + solenoid + ADA Pollen Glass Type-2 diffuser
Neon tetras – 10
Galaxy rasboras – 4
Corydoras habrosus – 10
Corydoras pygmaeus – 8
Siamese algae eater – 1
(From left to right, back to front)
Ludwigia sp. red
Alternanthera reineckii ‘Rosanervig’
Alternanthera reineckii ‘Mini’
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
KNO3 (1 1/2 tsp in 100mL) – 10mL 3x a week
KH2PO4 (1 tsp in 100mL) – 10mL 3x a week
K2SO4 (1/2 tsp in 100mL) – 10mL 3x a week
Seachem Flourish – 2.5mL 3x a week
Seachem Iron – 2mL 3x a week
Seachem Equilibrium – 3/4 tsp 1x a week at water change
*Note: I came across many deficiencies over the life of the tank and constantly adjusted to come to this dosing scheme. I will likely increase the dosing again soon because I am noticing deficiencies.
Light + CO2:
Lights – 12:00PM-7:45PM
CO2 – 9:30AM-7:30PM at 3-4 bps according to my bubble counter
*Note: From the beginning my light schedule has largely remained the same (+/- 15 minutes) while CO2 is constantly being increased when deficiencies are noticed. If you’re thinking about buying an ADA diffuser – DON’T. It produces large bubbles that rise quickly through the water and pop in to the atmosphere, effectively wasting a ton of CO2.
50-70% once a week
*Note: I used to use a 3 gallon bucket to change water (~3 buckets full per change) which is pretty slow and inconvenient. Now I use a python hose and it is honestly the best investment I have ever made for the fish tank.
December 9, 2015
First I added the stones to make two mountain-like structures. Then I added sand to form a path leading to nowhere and ADA Amazonia for plants to fill up around the stones. I wish I had made slopes using the sand and soil to create more depth but as you may be able to tell, I do not have much of an artistic vision... I was convinced it just looks crappy because the plants haven’t filled in so I let them grow.
December 27, 2015
I had some Manzanita branches lying around so I thought it might be nice to add them to the scape to tie it together. I also changed the foreground from Micranthemum umbrosum ‘Monte Carlo’ to Eleocharis acicularis ‘Mini’ and Pogostemon helferi. Plants grew in and it was still looking crappy to me. *Note: I still did not have CO2 running in the tank at this point because I didn't want to go and get my CO2 tank filled, however the plants still grew pretty decently.
February 2, 2016
Big time-leap from the last picture. Plants grew in more and I was a little happier with it but still not something I was too proud of. Looked like I just threw in a whole bunch of plants and grew them where I had space. Finally added CO2 at some point before this.