A cheapskates 90g planted rainbow tank
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

A cheapskates 90g planted rainbow tank

This is a discussion on A cheapskates 90g planted rainbow tank within the Tank Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Related Chat category; Some of you may remember https://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...quarium-77154/ With some cajoling and a hard budget of $75 I managed to get the ...

Forum Novice

DefaultA cheapskates 90g planted rainbow tank

Some of you may remember https://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-...quarium-77154/

With some cajoling and a hard budget of $75 I managed to get the wife to allow me to get my own tank.
    So I scoured the local online classifieds and in early July found a standard 90g tank w/ stand, xp4, and a ton of useless (to me) items for keeping turtles in said tank for $150. The fellow was moving that day and needed it gone asap...

The stand wasn't even fit for a firepit so I gave it away, the xp4 I sold for $75, and the other accessories I sold for another $75 (found out later that some of it was worth a great deal more...dang) So at this point I've spent $0

The tank itself is badly scratched on one side, has water marks that vinegar won't touch and the silicone is discoloured and peeling....woohoo project tank!!

The Plan:
    Substrate - soil, sand and river rocks (<1.5")
    Hardscaping - larger (3"-5") river rocks and driftwood
    Plants - swords mainly, currently have 3x amazons, 5x red flames, 1x ozelot, 2x parviflorus, 3x red melon, 12x broad leaf pygmy chain swords, water lettuce, hyacinth and duckweed (rainbow fodder) most of which I got on trade the rest I already had. Will sell off excess once they fill out a bit.
    Lighting - Coralife 2x 4' t5HO that I basically traded for a school of harlequin rasboras, and 2x 3' sunblaster t5 fixtures from my old setups if needed
    Filtration - DIY sump for mechanical filtration, a few powerheads for circulation and if needed the XP4 from the 27g
    Inhabitants - currently have waiting in another tank, a trio of parkonsoni rainbows and 7x celebes rainbows all of which I traded BNP's for, mts snails, assassin snails, and pond snails (again rainbow fodder). Will be ordering some Otto's from Charles once I'm closer to setting everything up.
    CO2 - no
    Ferts - no

The Project
    I have cerium oxide around I'd previously used for my old trucks headlights so the scratches and water marks should be no problem to remove. And I definitely have tubes of silicone laying around in the workshop, not to mention a bunch of scrap wood that I can use to build a stand...

Ordered 3x glass hole saws from ebay for $7.50, plan on getting the fittings from the local plumbing supply

Pics of the progress to date to follow
    Last edited by AccidentalAquarist; 08-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

90g planted rainbow community tank
    my son's low cost 27g aquarium
    0.75g no tech planted shrimp tank
    more tanks to come
    1500sqft cage - a wife, 2 kids, a cat and a rabbit

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Novice

Defaultbeginnings of a stand

Pile of wood that will become a stand. I'm not a carpenter, I know just enough to be a danger to myself so feel free to comment

My very detailed plans for the stand

Minimum required tools for me to build the stand....That table saw is 20+ years older than me and is one of my many ongoing restoration projects

The stands carcass coming together... every joint has glue up the wazoo and more screws than necessary.

Going to add a couple of drawers and shelves before I face and trim it. Then caulk and paint in and out
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

more tanks to come

Forum Novice

DefaultThe tank

First things first, need to reseal this thing.

Oops... my sharps container is behind the tank... tank mistake #1

Some of the scratches and water marks

First pass with the cerium oxide - looks like an orange's murder scene

My daughter's cat inspecting my work, it immediately turned it's nose up. Unfortunately it's right, going to need another run of polishing.
    George Bernard Shaw

more tanks to come

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Snooper

Yes! I love it. Really looking forward to this.. I'd love to get some rainbows for my tank.

Forum Novice

DefaultThe Fish

Keep trying to get pictures of the rainbows, but "hold that pose" means nothing to them

Parkinsoni male

I can't remember why that one picture turned out the way it did... wish I did

Some of the male Celebes with parkinsoni in the background

The background my little guy made for his tank a year ago doesn't make it easy to see some of the markings.
    Last edited by AccidentalAquarist; 08-07-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    George Bernard Shaw

more tanks to come

i love rainbows, my phone has a 1 second delay on the camera so i have the hardest time taking pics aswell hahah

Forum Novice

Well, back from vacation and time to get moving on this project.
    Big problem though, vacation ended up costing a whole lot more than I expected so my project budget of $75 needs to be pruned.

The hole saws I ordered back in June still haven't arrived and the seller is no longer answering emails...so I won't be drilling the tank.
    That will save me a few buck on fittings and piping.

The stand is still a carcass only, so I've decided to make some minor changes, again in the name of saving money.
    I had planned on putting 2 - 4" deep drawers along the top, to hold food and other small misc stuff. That's out now.
    Haven't picked up any "nice" wood for the facing, so now I might leave it open - but I despise seeing a mess of equipment and cords under a tank
    Still debating a shelf along the front for food and powerbars etc... thoughts?
    Rummaging around I found the cans of primer and white paint that was bought for the bathroom, so I'll use that. Probably 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint, sanded before and after each coat.
    I have some scrap 3/8" foam underlay that I'll put in the cabinet to dampen vibration as well as under the feet to protect the laminate, still have to pick up some for under the tank

This weekend I'm planning to attack the glass with the cerium oxide again, do a final leak test and finish construction of the stand. Prime and paint during the week (or next weekend depending on the school situation). I should be able to start aquascaping the following weekend.

Cost to date $7.50 for undelivered hole saws, so I'm not even going to count that.
    Cost to date $0..... entire budget can be spent on fish and plants... woohoo
    George Bernard Shaw

more tanks to come

Forum Novice

Dry fitting of shelf and trim, everything is friction fit at the moment.
    Still playing with shelf height and depth, the one pictured is 10" deep, but wondering if I should have it 18" (2" shy of back wall)
    Once I determine that I'll glue and screw the last bits together.

Really starting to like the idea of leaving the front open, if I decide otherwise in the future it's built in such a way that I can do the magnet trick and inset the door panels.

Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback
    George Bernard Shaw

more tanks to come

Forum Novice

DefaultNothing wrong with a bit of child labour

Got the kids filling all the screw holes and butt joint seams

Once the wood filler cures they will be sanding it by hand - I of course will use the orbital sander
    It's only out of square by 1/8" at the front and 1/16 on the sides, not too bad for being built on an uneven floor and with a beer in hand the entire time.
    George Bernard Shaw

more tanks to come

Forum Novice

Stand is basically done.
    Kids did a good job of filling holes and sanding, a few spots were missed but those will become their signatures

Still tossing around the idea of doors, maybe just to the height of the shelf? don't know.
    I've built a dozen or so stands in my time but they were all "functional", this one I'm trying for a touch of "aesthetics" as well (somewhere my wife is laughing)

A few things that should have been common sense but for some reason didn't occur to me at the time and has left me with some questions
    The shelf - why didn't I put a back rail on it? now everything will fall into the cabinet when pushed too far.
    The shelf - why did I measure only one of my jars/bottles to determine shelf height? no no say he didn't..yup with the trim overhang I have 4" clearance
    The shelf - (yet again - seems to be a theme) why did I install it without priming and painting it first or the inside of the cabinet for that matter? I looked like the kids after a finger paint fight once I was done
    Caulking seams - Why didn't I look to see if the silicone I used for the tank itself was paintable? primer and paint just bead off of it and it looks bad

Oh well it's done except for a final sanding. Didn't get to repolishing the tank yet, will procrastinate to do that Friday.
    Hopefully get the area the tank is going to be set up in cleared out on the weekend. Means transferring 4-500g off of the old computer and tearing down the desk, oh did I mention that somehow I managed to weasel a new laptop out this as well seeing as I won't have a desktop anymore

So I think I'm still on schedule, ordered a few fast growing plants to add to my collection of swords to help with the initial stabilization they should arrive Tuesday so the tank had better be ready. Once the tank is running I will be selling off these plants to keep to my budget.

Charles - hope you still the fish I want in a few weeks
    George Bernard Shaw

more tanks to come

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast