2012 planted tank contest entry
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

2012 planted tank contest entry

This is a discussion on 2012 planted tank contest entry within the Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; Me and my daughter started this tank back in June. It is our first "real" planted tank. There were quite ...

Banned

Default2012 planted tank contest entry

Me and my daughter started this tank back in June. It is our first "real" planted tank. There were quite a bit of hiccups along the way but thanks to all the wonderful members on this forum the tank is finally ready for the contest.
    I want to give a big shout out to thank Charles, Pat, Gary, Neven, and all other wonderful members (in no particular order) for all their help. We have learned so much during the whole process and your valuable input are greatly appreciated.
    I want to specially give a big thank-you to Pat (mykiss) for his time and effort in organizing this contest. He is a very busy man and I know it must have taken a lot of his valuable time from his family, hobby, and work to send everyone emails and to go through all the entries and such. This contest really helps me to understand what went into the beautiful pictures we see in the ADA contest and how much time these professionals put in, and of course, how difficult it really is.
    This contest is very special because it started my daughter's interest in fish keeping especially in regard to planted tank. When we started this she was 9 but she is now 10 and has her own little 25g tank that she is very proud of.
    So, all in all really want to thank everyone for your help, and thank the VAHS for organizing such a meaningful contest.
    We have been submitting our summary and pictures to Pat on a regular basis and this will be the last picture.
    It has been a lot of fun. thank you everyone.

Size: 33 gallon (36x18x12)
    Substrate: ADA Amozonia II, pool filter sand mixed with silica sand
    Rock: Dragon stone
    CO2: 10 LB Milwaukee, 3-4 bubbles per second, atomizer, airstone on for 14 hours at night after light out
    Light: 3 x 39 W T5HO plus LED moon light. (1 x 39W @ 3 hours, 3 x 39W @ 3 hours, 2 x 39W @ 4 hours, LED moonlight @ 14 hours)
    Filter: Eheim professional II 2026 (foams, bio balls, sintered glass, purigen, polishing pad)
    Fish: wild dwarf golden pencil fish, cardinal tetra, oto
    Plants: Echinodorus tenellus mixed with Eleocharis sp. 'mini', B. Japonica, Rotala macradra (green), Lindernia rotundifolia, Alternanthera reineckii 'Purple', Pogostemon erectus, Ludwigia arcuata, Microsorum pteropus
    Parameters: Temperature at 78 F, pH at 6.8, KH at 3, GH at 3
    Dosing: N, P, K, Micro, Iron, equilibrium.
    Water change: daily 15% water change (before dosing in the morning, the ferts were then mixed with new water and dosed), weekly 50% water change
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 10-18-2012 at 01:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Incredible layout and beautiful looking plants. Well done! Impressive!

Banned

Thank you very much. That is very nice of you.
    We have learned a lot from all the rookie mistakes I made and it has been a very enjoyable and educational experience.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Looks Great,I like the separation of Sand in the Middle.

Banned

I never got the chance to take some pictures of how I made the rocks looking more "weathered" as I was really busy when I was doing it but just want to mention it here. I chopped up some moss and mixed it with some buttermilk than rubbed them on the rocks and put the rocks under the sun for a bit. I never heard anyone here on this forum mentioned this technique but it is a very common technique in regular gardening. It allows gardeners to creat very old and weathered looking rocks in a few days.

The dragon stones when they were new were very orange and I wanted a more aged and weathered look. Basically I wanted a very natural look in the tank so I decided to make the rocks looking more weathered and aged. After placing them under the sun for a while, once I got the amount of green I wanted, I placed the rocks back in the tank. I also kept a couple pieces uncovered with any green just to add some contrast. The small piece on the front lying on the sand is untreated so it is brighter. The big rock on the left is the darkest as I did not want it to take the focus away from the main rocks in the middle. I feel that by making it darker it creats the illusion that it is a bit further away in a shadow; while the brighter piece would appear to be closer to the viewer. Since this tank in real is not that deep or big, this helps to creat a sense of prespective and space.

Thank you for checking out my tank and thanks for the comment.
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 10-18-2012 at 01:43 AM.