2012 VAHS Planted Tank Contest Entry for Fish N Chips
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By djamm

2012 VAHS Planted Tank Contest Entry for Fish N Chips

This is a discussion on 2012 VAHS Planted Tank Contest Entry for Fish N Chips within the Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; Hi all, I recently moved to Vancouver and in the process downsized from this 65 Gal... 65 gal.jpg ...to a ...

Default2012 VAHS Planted Tank Contest Entry for Fish N Chips

Hi all, I recently moved to Vancouver and in the process downsized from this 65 Gal...
    65 gal.jpg
    ...to a 2 Gal. It didn't quite fill the tank itch and I'd always been intrigued by the Fluval Edge tanks, so I brought this home from Noah's Pet Ark:
    The tank.jpg
    Before selling the 65 Gal, I pulled out some of my fav invincible plants and threw them in a bucket knowing it would only be a matter of time before I would set up a new tank. The C. Parva and Flame Sword sat in that bucket in the corner of my kitchen for 3 months waiting for a purpose. Waiting until:
    Plant.jpg
    Breaking them up like that will mean some serious melt in the coming weeks! I'm hoping they'll bounce back by Oct. Here's an action shot:
    Planting.jpg
    The Crypts and Sword originally came from AquaFlora years ago (Thanks again Tim!). For substrate, I'm trying out the new ADA aquasoil, which I picked up at Aquariums West (Thanks for all the help Joseph!). While I was at Aquariums West I also bought that hunk of lava rock in the above photo. It's sawed flat at the back, and the Flame Sword is planted in a hole in the middle of it. Should make for a cool centrepiece as long as the Parva stays short enough. I'm a bit worried they'll start reaching for the top since the Edge LEDs are very weak! The access hole on the Edge made the whole process awkward, but with a stolen bit of creativity filling was a breeze:
    Fill.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Here is how it looks now:
    Filled.jpg
    In a year or so, this scape should look really nice, and apart from trimming old sword leaves, maintenance should be next to nothing

Well looks good so far. Please post another picture after the ADA soil has cleared from the tank...

Cheers and good luck!
    Fish n Chips likes this.
    Plecoholics #30

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

The water has cleared, though there is still dirt on the glass. I'll have to get a scraper magnet. My original plan was to just get nerites to do the glass scraping for me, but these lights are so weak that despite the 12 hour photoperiod and all the ammonia from the aquasoil, there's no algae at all growing on the glass yet. Here is what day 10 looks like:
    Day 10 Front.jpg
    At least 1/3 of the Parva I planted melted. Some completely, some just one leaf. Anyone know how it decides how much to melt? The good news is that it's growing amazingly fast! In only 10 days many of the Parva plants have sent new shoots up over a cm!!! The flame sword is growing well too, and has put out a handful of new leaves. The high temperature of the light is washing out the red flame pattern on the young leaves though. To my eye it looks about 12,000k, no doubt due to the 3 blue LEDs. I'm going to keep my eyes out for some warm LEDs I can install cleanly to the light bar to balance the overall colour temp a bit better. Any suggestions?

I've dumped a ton of mulm in there to speed up the cycle. One of the side effects is the little white dots you see in the above photo -- copepods of various types, mostly cyclops, and some I don't know the name of. A couple days ago their population went from invisible to hundreds. Which I took to mean the tank has mostly cycled, so I added a couple Amano shrimp to help clean up. Can you spot the shrimp in this picture?
    Day 10 Top.jpg
    This top down view is what makes the tiny opening on the Edge totally worth it!

A quick update on the tank. Shortly after the last update I decided to stop doing water changes quite as often since the tank seemed mostly cycled. On the morning of the 6th day post water change I looked in to see a dead shrimp, 2 mostly dead shrimp, and ammonia burns on my plants, YIKES! All shrimp were dead the next day despite an immediate water change. The C. Parva took it a lot better than the flame sword. I've been doing %50 water changes every few days ever since, and the plants are growing normally again, but pretty much every leaf in the tank suffered damage to some extent. The pod population is now pretty small, but there are thousands of tiny white worms swimming around in there. It's amazing how well worms can swim! Here is day 26:
    Day 26 Front.jpg
    Top view:
    Day 26 Top.jpg

Banned

Thanks for sharing. Good luck.
    By the way, what does ammonia burn on plants look like?

Ammonia burn will look different depending on the plant, but often it'll show up as dark green/black/greyish-brown looking splotches that are a bit translucent (similar to normal melt). Leaf edges tend to kink/ripple/curl/twist similar to if the water was devoid of calcium when they were growing. New growing leaves will experience the above mixed in with healthy growing tissue which results in stunted ugly misshapen leaves. If the ammonia gets really high, or if they are sensitive plants, everything will just melt away.

Missed the last update since my girlfriends camera stopped working. Realised there is a camera in my phone, lol.
    Added a few male guppy juvis, and finally got some algae (GDA and GSA). Fish poo seems to have been the missing ingredient
    Day 70:
    Day 70 Front.jpg
    Day 70 Top.jpg