I know it's kind of late to join in but figured I may as well. I wanted to join in sooner but didn't want to feed into my MTS...So I waited all summer and resisted temptation..and I was doing such a good job until I realized school is coming and I'm not going to get a chance to do any big changes when homework piles up so I better do it now. *Sigh, I picked up 2 tanks *smh..but good news is that I'm taking down my 40G to make room so it's really only like adding one more tank right?..
Anyways, one is a 26G long which I will be using for the contest. Next to it will be a 23G shrimp tank.
It will be an almost crypt only tank so hopefully they'll be okay with the low lighting.
For lights, I am using a hanging DIY fixture with two 36" 30W T8's. (I know, how lame..but it cost under $10..)
There's no plan in terms of the livestock. It's more of a rescue tank for abandoned fish from my 40G. Btw, I'm sad to say the one-eyed black moor goldfish rescued from the bathroom of a mall passed away about a week ago. I also have another donated goldfish in there and some guppies from my cousin who's having an overpopulation crisis.
The tank is dry right now with the exception of some substrate. I sprinkled some cat litter on the bottom, then an inch of flourite and onyx on top. Big thanks to Peter/cowis for some slate, Kevin/Algae Beater for the flourite and onyx, and Jason/MEDHBSI whom I will be getting some black sand from tomorrow. I would also like to thank the person I got the tanks from.
The plan is to make a couple of stacked levels in the substrate. Since I've been stuck at home, I had to resort to using whatever I could find in the house. I'm going to divide each level with a clear folder cover. I already finished one divider and will test it out tomorrow. I picked some rocks from my yard and since I didn't have aquarium safe silicone, I used a glue gun to stick the rocks onto the divider. I'm not expecting this to go well since flat surfaces don't work well with glue guns, but so far so good.
Hopefully tomorrow I will finish the dividers, get the sand in, and move the fish in from their temporary holding tank.
Feel free to post comments/suggestions, thanks.