2012 VAHS Planted Tank Entry - AndrewL - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

2012 VAHS Planted Tank Entry - AndrewL

This is a discussion on 2012 VAHS Planted Tank Entry - AndrewL within the Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; I have been busy with family and life activities during the summer. Now I am ready to unveil my VAHS ...

Forum Beginner

I have been busy with family and life activities during the summer. Now I am ready to unveil my VAHS aquascape entry.
    Much thought went into the aquascape design and much delight from my readings from CRS Fan's bestselling book - "Tips to a winning tank".

His book states you need inspirations, challenges, cunning, cheapness. You do not want to be another Justin Bieber lookalike (aka Amano - although beautiful - every one's tank would look similar). One should take a radical approach.

Here are the influences in my aquascape design:

Inspirations - Amano's approach is to capture a scene from nature (as often described by Joseph UY) and all the wonderful pictures of VAHS Planted tank entries. The other significant inspiration was the summer news event was the snakehead found in the Central Park pond.

Challenges - Many of you have seen the movie "My Fair Lady" and probably cried over the triumphant Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. The discussions over who was doing what with their tanks, bringing in exotic plants from the Antarctica or Shangri la. Like the movie, I wanted to transform something plain into something beautiful. I challenged Stu (aka CRS Fan) to a mano a mano competition. A true challenge using humble plants like water sprite, duckweed, frogbit, etc. He laughed at me and could not accept the challenge.

Cunning - who are the judges, how could I influence them with a design that stood out from the me toos.

Cheapness - With four tanks in my office, my SO would not be particularly happy if I was to grow my hobby by another tank in less than one year. I had to be creative in my approach. Spying my empty quarantine tank ($10 tank from Victor - a BCA member), I was going to build my masterpiece.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

Forum Beginner

Let me introduce you to the hottest movement in aquascaping - Post Modern Aquascape. It's fresh like modern art and speaks from the heart of the artist.

Scraping together items from my household plus a bag of ADA Amazonia soil, let me introduce the unveiling of my VAHS planted tank picture entries.

Planted Tank - 1st pic.jpg

Planted Tank - 2nd pic.jpg

Planted Tank - 3rd pic.jpg

Planted Tank - 4th pic.jpg

Planted Tank - 5th pic.jpg

No fish were harmed in this tank as I did not add. I was scared as after two weeks, the running shoe was growing white fungus.

Good luck to all participants.

Forum God

Brilliant, Andrew! I love the fusion of aquaculture and political art, bringing social realism into the underwater world. Nobody expects an aquasculpture to be a kick-in-the-stomach statement about how humans are trashing our aquatic ecosystem, but what makes it doubly powerful is that the items that you've so carefully chosen (beer cans, plastic forks, running shoes) also provide a mirror about how we spend our time in the 21st century. Jogging, drinking, and fast foods -- there are no elements in your aquascape reflecting family time, charitable endeavours, or anything at all altruistic. A subtle, yet artful, statement that our selfishness is destroying the water system. (Hence, no fish.)

I think you're missing a plastic knife, though?

:-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I love the fungused shoe! A masterpiece in it's own right . It would appear someone did NOT read the manual!

Best Regards,

Stuart
    TANKFUL IN VANCOUVER

ADDICTED TO PRESSURIZED CO2

Forum Beginner

Morainy - thank you for those fine comments. You are truly a connoisseur of art and an observer of the ripping fabric of our society.

CRS - I have learned from the plant zen master - free your mind - is stated on Page 750 of your manual.

Picasso was famous for saying he always wanted to paint like a child. While he was not appreciated at that time, look at what his masterpieces are selling for today.

Pretty sweet idea but I say needs more plastic grocery bags maybe a cd or two as well or some other computer related item
    Ooh, now thinking of what junk might be at the bottom of the Fraser has me steamed.
    5gal ADA Mini M low tech: Weeping moss and Taiwan Bees
    50gal high tech planted: Ember Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Otos

Oooh I get it: Boy fish + Girl fish = Fry + MTS
    Plants are pretty + Various Species = Aquascaped MTS

Banned

Why did you turn the heater and filter on? Is that also symbolic of something? Is thsi tank still running ...just curious?
    Last edited by Fish rookie; 10-18-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Forum Beginner

Appreciate your feedback - I will keep the ideas in mind for future planted tank contests.

Forum Beginner

Reckon - Thank your for your feedback - I love your ideas and may incorporate in future planted tank contests. I hope this Post Modern Aquascaping technique will take Vancouver by storm.

Fish Rookie - The original intention was to put guppies in the tank as they will survive anything. However, after seeing the fungus growth, I could not do that to any living thing. So I forgot to unplug filter and heater.

After planting the tank, I had not changed the water for several weeks and the tested ammonia level was deep purple. Well I found a CRS shrimplet in the tank. Obviously it came along for the ride on a plant from my shrimp tank. A completed mystery as how it survived in that tank. And no the CRS shrimplet was not to pay homage to CRS Fan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2