What's coming up in the VAHS meeting May 11th
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

What's coming up in the VAHS meeting May 11th

This is a discussion on What's coming up in the VAHS meeting May 11th within the Vancouver Aquatic Hobbyist Society forums, part of the Aqua Lounge category; ...

Sponsor

Default What's coming up in the VAHS meeting May 11th

Hi Everybody,

For our May meeting it looks like we will have a great lecture and a chance to get some rare fish from Gary Lange. Below is an introduction from the fish breeder himself

Hi VAHS members, Gary Lange here. Iím looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday May 11th.

The title of my talk is ďďAdventures in Paradise - Collecting Rainbowfish in New GuineaĒ. This is about my first two visits to Papua. Iíll also throw in a little teaser about my third trip but itís really too much to cover six weeks of collecting heaven in one short hour.

I will be planning to bring a bunch of rainbowfish egg kits to the club which will be auctioned off right after my talks.

An egg kit consists of 40-70 eggs (depending on the fishes friskiness that week) along with first fry food and detailed instructions on how to raise the fry. I canít tell you at this moment which fish eggs I will be bringing. I wonít be bringing the very latest stuff as Iím still paying for the last airline ticket to New Guinea with those fish J. I will certainly be bringing some stuff that youíve never seen before in the stores, I can guarantee that! No crossed wholesalers garbage with these rainbowfish! Weíll just have to wait and see which fish are breeding to see what will be in the egg kits. Donít worry about knowing the names because as each kit is auctioned off Iíll put up the photo on the projector so youíll know what it looks like and Iíll give a brief description.

If you are interested in FISH I will do a presale only of fish that Iíll post to the BC Aquaria forum Aquarium Forum - Fish Forum - BCAQUARIA - Powered by vBulletin in just a few days so please look for it. I plan to post it in the Vancouver Hobbyist Society section but if they boot it from there also look in the Classified freshwater fish section.

What you can do to get ready is to set up some new 5.5 or 10 gallon bare tanks. I usually donít recommend 2.5 gallon tanks anymore as more often than not the water quality issues will cause you to lose the fish. Get it set up so that it will be at about 80-82 degrees and get a sponge filter going in it. Youíll definitely need a heater as you wonít get a very good hatch rate at cooler temperatures. Youíll also need a small tray for each species that you buy to hatch out the eggs. A 6x6 sandwich type tray works fine. Youíll be changing the water in that tray every day for about 5-9 days while the fry hatch out. Itís not very hard and hobbyists all over the country have been very successful in hatching and raising my eggs. Itís a pretty neat way to get some very nice rainbowfish that you really canít buy at the stores. So often, rainbowfish that you do happen to see at the stores, really donít look like they are supposed to anymore. See you soon!
    Here fishy fishy.......

Currently breeding and have lots available of:
    -Tiger, red cherry, crystal red and black, and a bunch of other shrimps
    -King Tiger (L-066) and Queen Arabesque (L-260)
    -Guppies and Marble crayfish

I also have:
    -Levamisole HCl for treating the camallanus / callamanus worms
    -"No Planaria" for getting rid of planaria with out killing your shrimps, fish and plants
    -Flubendazole for getting rid of hydra

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I will do my best to make this one for sure !
    TANKFUL IN VANCOUVER

ADDICTED TO PRESSURIZED CO2

Banned

I coming for sure...put me in for some neat rainbows and eggs

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCAquaria.com
    Advertisements

I too will not miss this one...put me down for some rainbows and eggs too

Rainbows are so cool!

If you want the rainbowfish you better react a little faster as they are almost all gone. Read the other thread under VAHS forum section. Only a few left!
    Gary

Banned

Wow, sounds like a very interesting talk. Did you get a chance to do any collecting in the estuaries for other species (thinking of Datnioides Campelli in particular)?

Gary, I sure won't miss that one. I know this will be a great talk already...

Forum God

This looks very cool. I know nothing about rainbowfish. The first time I heard of anyone hatching fish from eggs was when Scholz did his killifish journal. (Now, I've got some of his killifish offspring.) It's really amazing what a hobbyist can do with a small tank, some clean water and enthusiasm.

I'll be there for sure ! Unless my transportation malfunctions !

Best Regards,

Stuart
    TANKFUL IN VANCOUVER

ADDICTED TO PRESSURIZED CO2