British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 30 young swordtails. They range from pale orange to dark orange in colour and some have Mickey Mouse markings on their tails. The oldest were born in October, and I think there have been 2 other broods since then. Did not expect so many to survive but they were born in a heavily planted tank so there you go. The ones that are basically too big to be eaten by their parents are now living in their own 10 gallon, looking for a nice home. Price negotiable--just don't want to advertise that they are free in case someone takes them on a lark and puts them in a goldfish bowl. FYI here is the setup of our main 30 gallon where all these babies were born:

1 adult male Mickey Mouse sword
1 sunburst female sword
1 tuxedo female sword
1 tri-coloured female sword (alas appears to have died in childbirth)

5 neon tetras
1 humungous female bronze cory cat
3 little male cory cats

I never see the cory cats anymore--they have reverted completely to a nocturnal existence and I only see them if I sneak up on the tank at night with a flashlight.

As I say, the tank is heavily planted--I'm definitely going for the low maintenance Walstad approach and this tank has been going good since September. In fact, I had to go away for three weeks in October and it was not cleaned in that time but when I got back after three weeks the water parameters were perfect and the first babies were born in my absence.

The photo is of the secondary 10-gallon which the baby swordtails are now in. Aside from some basic aquatic plants, both tanks have golden pothos growing in them, and I think that's what really helps keep the water clean.

Anyway, hoping someone in the Tri-Cities area can give some of these baby swordtails a good home!

Swordtails.jpg

·
Registered
827 Posts
Welcome to BCA!
Your ad looks great. The tank looks Great
Good luck with your sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts