British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now I have 2 goldfish in my 10 gallon tank but moving them in months time or when have enough money to an 80 gallon tank and I was thinking of putting some black phantom tetra (4, 2 female and 2 male) and a male betta in the tank I was wondering if this is a big enough tank to support them once the goldfish are rehomed to a bigger tank. I've done research on betta living in community tanks and doing fine in it. Also does anyone have experience with bettas and tetra living peacefully with each other? :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Bettas and tetras can live together but there is a few issues that can happen. The betta can be picked on by the tetras. Black Phantom tetras can be nippy. The long fins of the Betta can become a target. Also some Bettas dont like water movement and seem scared in a big tank. This is hit or miss Ive found some love water movement while others not so much. Also Tetras prefer warmer water so you will need a heater. You have goldfish so I assum you arnt using one right now. If you are able to sex the Phantom tetras I would do an odd number rather than an even. 1 male to 4 females is better IMO.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes, once you re-home the goldfish, you'll have room for 4 phantom tetras and a betta, from a bio-load standpoint.
Just one little caution - while the phantoms don't normally get any larger than 1.75", there is a possibility they may be tempted to nip at the betta's long finnage - check out the characteristics of those tetras. You may wish to consider some other type of tetras.

I have a 10 gal with a betta, 4 neons, 3 ember tetras, and 6 rasboras, which have all been doing just fine for over a year.
Here's the tank:
Anubias Photos by discuspaul | Photobucket

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No not using a heater but will get one if I plan on getting them. I was planning on having live plants growing in there so the betta isn't as skittish in such a large tank, Also I would keep an eye on them to see there personality's and see if some are aggressive/chasing or nipping and return some if there to aggressive. From my research bettas like warmer water to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts