British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my niece is off for a great adventure this summer. My parents get the honour of looking after the "grandog", and my niece asked me to look after what's left of her fish. 42 internets to someone who can come up for a good name for the fish, like "grandog".

But I tell you, this little 10 gal is going to be a bit of a project for me, just to clean it up basically.

Thought I'd keep a journal of how it is now, and see what it's like in 2 months, when she gets back.

Here's how they transported it. :rolleyes: All decorations/substrate still in it, and about 50% full of water.

Filled it up with some fresh water.

And an improvised guppy fry home. Deli cup that bettas come in with a lid with holes on it:

(Not a great pic, I left the light off when I took this one).

So, in this tank are a couple of live plants (which are really the only source of filtration right now), a tiger barb, 2 of some other fish, possibly a different kind of barb, and a danio (I think).
She had a guppy tank, and scooped most of them out and took them to the pet store, but she missed a few, so she threw them in bag in the tank. So there's maybe half a dozen guppy fry, and one medium sized guppy. The medium guppy I put in with the other fish.

The guppies are going to be turtle food (and my niece knows this and is just fine with it). But I figured at their current size, they'd just get sucked right into the ol' FX5 if I put them in the turtle tank. So I'm hoping to get them to grow a bit before they get to meet Ralpheal and Frankie ;) Plus, I wanted to make sure they didn't have any parasites or anything.

First thing I've got to do with this tank is change the filter cartridge and clean the filter. Looks like it hasn't been changed yet this year :p I think I'll just stuff some filter floss in a bag.

Also, I know for a fact the gravel has never been cleaned, so I figured I'd give that a good clean at some point.

I'll post pics of the fish once they get settled a bit, and maybe get you guys to help identify them, and I'll keep this thread updated as a clean it up :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I can't wait to see how it turns out!!! I'm sure she'll be surprised when she gets back! I vote you screw some CFLs into the hood and make it a NPT so it will be nice any low maintenance for her when she gets back.

And you probably already figured this, but I would remove the fish before you tackle the gravel. I have even had problems with hydrogen sulphide gas buildup in fine gravel. If there is a solid enough layer of crud at the bottom it will cut oxygen off creating an anaerobic environment.

Have fun and keep us posted!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what kind of bulbs the hood has. They're sort of skinny little ones, so I don't know if CFLs will fit.

Thanks for the tip on the gravel! I wasn't sure how I was going to do that just yet. Probably won't be doing that for a couple weeks. Filter first, then I'll get some good bacteria going in the new media before I tear up the gravel.

There's also at least 2 different kinds of snails in there. I'll post those up soon to see if anyone can ID them too :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
low wattage CFLs will fit, i've done it when i had my first 10 gallon. sometimes a bit of torque on the socket will keep slightly downwards to make room for the bulb.

as for the gravel. you might want to replace with various grades of pea gravel, gives nice texture and look, and will match whatever pretty stones she wants to put in the tank to make it her own. if she's young a walk on a rocky trail or river will give a nice outting with that purpose in mind. a little water will show her rocks can be pretty without being crystal :p the main goal of the gravel is getting those plants rooted right and the gravel is easy to vac

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've seen guppys last awhile in turtle tanks before, maybe they will still be there when she gets home.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nevel :) I'm don't want to really add or change anything in this tank. Basically, just going to get it looking nice again, and try to get the fish healthy.

Gimild - Yeah, I was wondering how long they might last... Frankie is smart, but lazy. Ralph is fast, but dumb. So I'll be taking bets who takes the longest to finish off the guppies :p

As promised, a few pics. Haven't done anything with the tank yet.

Firstly, there's 4 different kinds of snails in there!
1. Domed on the top, swirly on the bottom:

And another one on the gravel:

#4, similar to #3 but not as pointy of shell.

Question: With the snails rooting around in the gravel, is it possible that the toxic buildup isn't as bad as it otherwise could be?

Fishies: Most pics are with flash, since they're some fast moving fish!

The tiger barb already has brightened up since yesterday:

The danio:

Guppy:

These two silver fish, I don't know what they are. Can someone ID them?

And here you can just see one of the guppy fry in the little hatchery.

Question - About how long before these guys are big enough to actually recognize as guppies? Or how long before they won't get sucked into the filter? I'm thinking I might have to set up something different so they can get some water flow.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here's the style of CFL I use:

The unconventional format allows for less light bounce than a spiral and since they are oblong they fit nicely into most standard hoods.

The Hagen Life Glos pictures are 15W so 2 of them may be a little high unless you want to do some minor ferts and excel but Coralife sells 10W ones and I have also seen the same type at some hardware stores.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Question - About how long before these guys are big enough to actually recognize as guppies? Or how long before they won't get sucked into the filter? I'm thinking I might have to set up something different so they can get some water flow.

I would say about a month. Baby guppies are pretty good at staying out of the filter in my tanks and I am running pretty fast filtration (xp-4 and 2217 eheim).
Get them some good fry food, mine also like to pick at romaine lettuce once if softens up a bit (or par boil for 10 secs before adding) but just a small piece for a tank that small.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tip on the guppies! I've just been feeding them crushed up flakes.

On an interesting side note, the adventure actually ended suddenly. Vehicle troubles :p So they're back already, but they're going to plan something else, and they're hoping to be off again in a couple days.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Finally, a tank update ;)
Got around to the filter today. Not sure what brand it is... The lid seems to have mysteriously disappeared between their place and mine.

Filter in all it's dirty glory:

The old cartridge (ick!)

I decided I'd make my own cartridge, like I've done for a couple of my other HOBs.
So here's the old cartridge picked clean:

I was actually surprised, it's a nicer design than mine. Mine just have an X across them to hold the carbon, but this one has much more support.

Anyhow, put the brace in a piece of stocking, put a bunch of pillow stuffing on both sides of it, and even put a bit of carbon in there for good measure.

I know, looks awesome, right? :p

And here it is in action:

Also picked up a thermometer today.
Next I think I'll give the glass inside and out a good clean, and a partial water change. Then after that, I'm going to tackle that gravel!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So cleaning the glass - easier said than done :p

Turns out it's that kind of algae that you can't really get off unless you use a razor blade. But I gave it as best a scrub as I could with a paper towel, and it got some of it off, because the water was green when I was done.

Also added a background... It's not quite the right size, but I kind of liked the look of it. I also tried just a black plastic bag, but I liked this better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Looking good! If you move plants in front of the spots the background doesn't cover you'll forget the background was ever too small!

The filter is a PetCetera house-brand filter... they stopped selling them when they reopened and I never did find the company that manufactured them so yup, you pretty much have to use the little frame-thingy and rig up a DIY filter cartridge.

If you measure it (length of filter box from left to right or something) I can see if its the same size as mine and if so, give you the GPH and model number.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys :)

Thanks Kelly! I figured it might have been a Petcetera brand filter. I know they picked up a couple filters for like, $3 when they were closing :eek: I would assume it's their 10 gallon rated filter. Left to right, the box is about 13.5 cm.

I'm wondering, for cartridges, if they just bought a different brand that happens to fit in there alright, since the cartridge didn't fit snuggly in the slot, it was kind of loose.

Good tip on the plants too! I'm going to re-arrange the plants when I do the gravel.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wow definitely bigger than the ones I have (I have the SF-0103 which is rated for 1-3g tanks and turns over 58 GPH). The box is only 10 cm so you must have the next size up.

And the cartridges are loose on mine too, I think thats sort of the way they are but I can tell from your frame that you definitely have the right cartridge. I have a theory that the petcetera filters may be compatible with the Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag cartridges.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As for IDing the snails:

#1 looks to be like baby ramshorn snails - they look very different than when they grow older.

#2 looks like apple snails

#3 looks to be much like Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but there's a few that can look that way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
#2 snail is a Bladder snail..aka Pond snail, same with the other similar one. There is apparently two very similar kinds, one with a very defined point and one with a chubby little spiral. Which looks like she has both!
#1 is for sure a Ramshorn
#3 is definately a Malaysian Trumpet
The tank looks amazing now..!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts