British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 55g tank with 4 clown loaches that are about 2", 4 diamond tetras and 6 rummynose tetras, both about 1". I know of someone looking to surrender a ~10" pleco and was wondering if it was appropriate to go into my tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should note that the 55g tank would not be permanent for the pleco. I'll likely have something in the 75-100g range within a few months that he can move into.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
it would be fine for size because they don't swim much. But large plecos are aggressive and also they are very high waste producers. That pleco would be more than all the bioload you currently have in that. Make sure you are ready for that before you take it.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
it would be fine for size because they don't swim much. But large plecos are aggressive and also they are very high waste producers. That pleco would be more than all the bioload you currently have in that. Make sure you are ready for that before you take it.
+1 on what Gary says.

Plecos are poop-machines!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By aggressive do you mean it might eat the rest of my small fish?

And would it still be maxing out my bioload if I ran two HOB filters, one rated for a 70g tank and the other rated for a 50g tank?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
By aggressive do you mean it might eat the rest of my small fish?

And would it still be maxing out my bioload if I ran two HOB filters, one rated for a 70g tank and the other rated for a 50g tank?
The number/size of the filter will only manage the ammonia, you're still going to have to do large water changes to remove the nitrates.

As Rogo says, a big pleco can chase the other fish around. But it should be ok temporarily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts