British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All right sports fans, game on!

My attempt to sell the tank have failed so instead of staring at this huge tank empty, i'm going to house my friends cichlids for a while. He's looking to switch his tank over to salt water and he's so far been unable to sell all his livestock so we've both decided that my big tank would make a good home for the fish. He's also going to provide me with filters (twin eheim 2028's) and a 200w heater.

Tonight I picked up some epsom salt, and baking soda as well as some rock that Ryan had lying around so i could fill the tank and get the water chem right. The first bunch of fish move in tomorrow. I will use one currently running filter as well as a second clean one that will allow me to instantly have a fish ready tank.

It's been a while since i've kept africans so i have to re-learn all my water parameters, but Ryan gave me a pretty simple formula using epsom, baking soda, and marine salt. He had those things breeding like rabbits in his tank so i'm pretty confident that I'll have the same. But I have a lot of reading to do the next couple of nights.

Here's the first tank shot... more rocks and driftwood to come soon....

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Hey Africans.... Sweet! Tank looks just like mine! Lol

Who is shutting down his tank?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Africans.... Sweet! Tank looks just like mine! Lol

Who is shutting down his tank?
ya it really is going to be similar to yours, but i think i'm going to go a little heavier on the rock. Not sure though yet, because I don't know what rock i will have to play with.

Neoh is the the one shutting his tank down. He's got a bunch of juvinile tanganyikans that will be going in today.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well if you need more Tangs then I've got a bunch for sale.Trophs,Calvus,comps and A whole lot of Petricolas.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Great Pics! Nice fishy! :). They really look different from mine.

How many have u added?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Pics! Nice fishy! :). They really look different from mine.

How many have u added?
these are all tanganyikans, so they will look different from your malawis. I am planning on having a total mix of all africans, from all the research i've done it looks like the water parameters are close enough that for tank bred fish i think i'll get away with mixing the malawis and the tanganyikans. it's going to be a matter of getting my GH somewhere in the middle where both groups of fish will be happy. There are about 15 in there now with the same filter that came off their old tank. I also have a second filter ready to go but i need to get a gasket and an impeller for it.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
these are all tanganyikans, so they will look different from your malawis. I am planning on having a total mix of all africans, from all the research i've done it looks like the water parameters are close enough that for tank bred fish i think i'll get away with mixing the malawis and the tanganyikans. it's going to be a matter of getting my GH somewhere in the middle where both groups of fish will be happy. There are about 15 in there now with the same filter that came off their old tank. I also have a second filter ready to go but i need to get a gasket and an impeller for it.
Sweet! I have seen them mixed many times but I will try n stick w Malawi (for now), except for the clean-up crews! Lol. I just picked up some Clownloaches today. They look n school nice. Will u be adding any "janitors"?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sorry JTANG,

Didn't mean to make an African cichlid lover out of you. It's an addiction.
Yeah thanks to u guys! Now that im paying so much attention on the Africans, my Salty friends are getting jealous! Lol Hopefully I can make a good balance between the two...

Vman has some petricolas for you. He lives 5 mins from me. You can swing by n check out my tanks while you are here. :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I see you bought Neoh's Jullies.I love them.

Reactions: monkE

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hey Mike,

Lukasz (VMAN) has a 135 gal tanganyikan setup. He's got a classified for them. Like John said, swing by his house and check out the some additions to your new tank setup.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the main idea for this tank began when I found a user selling a 90 gallon tank fully stocked for a real good price. Last night me and Ryan went to pick up the tank, he took the tank, I took the fish, and well.... see for yourself!

The plan for the time being is to do a large water change daily until my filters can catch up with the new bioload. There have been a ton of fish added very quickly.

Time for pics! - these pics were taken about 10 minutes after the fish were added to the tank... I'm amazed that the colours brightened up so quickly!

5 buckets of fish - and my drip acclimation station

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Hey what are those Malawians doing in your Tanganyikan tank? They should be moved to my tank! I want that big one, the blue one, and..... Lol

They look great in your tank! Those yellows really stand out with the blue background!

Reactions: monkE
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.