British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I just recently got back into african cichlids again so I started my own aquarium stand. I watched a lot of videos on how to do it. I found that even without any experience on building a stand I think my stand turned out way better than buying a stand from the store. Also the stand is way heavier than expected and I know that it will hold the 125 gallon 72x18 tank that I'm waiting to get my hands on. I will post more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
What's that middle removable panel in the stand for if you don't mind me asking? Great work by the way!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
20140811_201726.jpg 20140811_201634.jpg

Just got some of my fish today...I will have 20 more or so to pick up from live fish direct but I found someone from also online that sells decent price of peacocks but the only catch is you have to cross the border and declare it.

The middle part of the tank is actually not removable. I just matched it to the sides of the tank. I also built a top part cap but I still have to add an extra 1x4 because I didnt realize I have to make room for my LED Beamworks 2x 36 lights.

Does the middle look empty to you tony1928? Im thinking of adding my kids names on them since their the ones who got me back into African Cichlids again.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Does the middle look empty to you tony1928? Im thinking of adding my kids names on them since their the ones who got me back into African Cichlids again.
Actually that's a great idea. I agree that it does like a bit like its missing something. That's why I had originally thought you left it as an access panel.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Looks great! Seems like African's are starting to get popular here in BC :D

·
Registered
721 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys...I need help on which plecos to use and how many I need in my 125 gallon tank? Anyone has any for sale? Let me know how much.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I love the look of new holey rock! I used to have a few albino bristlenose plecos in there just to help with keeping down the algae and eating leftover food. They are very hardy and can handle the african water conditions. In fact, they were breeding in the tank.

Reactions: jbyoung00008

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
+1 For Bristle Noses. I had 3 for a couple years in my African tank. 1 died recently. They are active in the day so you will actually see them compared to other plecos. I had a trio. 1 male, 2 females.

I now have 2 bristle noses, 1 Green Phantom Pleco , 1 Gold spot Pleco. The last 2 are no where near as active in the day as the BNP. Also Keep in mind they will eat all the algae so I suggest feeding them Zucchini or onother veggie once a week or every other week. Within1 minute my male BNP is on the zuchinni. He loves to eat the skin.

Im in the middle of planning a 210g African tank. Im going to buy a couple really neat plecos once I set it up. One of my favs is the Gold Nugget pleco.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How big do these guys get....I had a regular plecos before and it got to almost a foot. Are these dwarf like..no more than 4 inches as full adult.

Where can I get them and how much?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
How big do these guys get....I had a regular plecos before and it got to almost a foot. Are these dwarf like..no more than 4 inches as full adult.

Where can I get them and how much?
They are easy to find in the classifieds. They are a little harder to find full grown which as mentioned is around 4" - 5". Male get bristles all ober their nose. Females don't get much at all. They are usually around $5 -$10 on here. Double at LFS. Rogers always has them if you live in delta or try contacting Vancitycam he might be able to help you. Common plecos like you had before are useless and get huge IMO. Bristle noses are great!

Canadian aquatics usually has them as well

I have some smaller calicos in my African grow out tank, The Africans leave them a lone but they did go after them when I first released them from the bag so be careful when introducing them. Once the BNP find the rocks. They will be fine in my experience

There are a bunch of different types:

silver tip
albino
super red
green dragon
calico
Long fined in all of the above

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Ok cool thanks. ..will leave PM to rogers or vancitycam
Rogers is the LFS in Surrey. Also check the classifieds now. I think I saw some for sale

1 - 20 of 27 Posts