British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started building my 360 cm (141 inch) aquarium. This aquarium i make, just like my previous project, from multiplex and liquid pond liner. I liked working with these products with my 2200 liter Malawi aquarium. I want to link both aquariums to each other through the filtering. I got reasonable extra capacity with my Malawi aquarium, but do want to make a new filter part with that. Also for the heating i would like to link the aquariums to eachother. And also my current heating system has extra capacity.
Besides all this i want to make a solarcollector for the whole system.
I started building the substructure of the aquarium, i think it is easy to make and doesn't cost too much. I plan to finish the whole with laminate. And i think i will also do that with the already existing aquarium, because i want both aquariums to have the same look.
The existing aquarium i painted, looks ok, but i don't want to paint for weeks anymore, lol. I don't know yet what i will use to create a background. And i think that when it is all finished, the Malawi fish will go to the aquarium i'm building now and that i will use the existing aquarium voor middle american cichlids.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
I started building my 360 cm (141 inch) aquarium. This aquarium i make, just like my previous project, from multiplex and liquid pond liner. I liked working with these products with my 2200 liter Malawi aquarium. I want to link both aquariums to each other through the filtering. I got reasonable extra capacity with my Malawi aquarium, but do want to make a new filter part with that. Also for the heating i would like to link the aquariums to eachother. And also my current heating system has extra capacity.
Besides all this i want to make a solarcollector for the whole system.
I started building the substructure of the aquarium, i think it is easy to make and doesn't cost too much. I plan to finish the whole with laminate. And i think i will also do that with the already existing aquarium, because i want both aquariums to have the same look.
The existing aquarium i painted, looks ok, but i don't want to paint for weeks anymore, lol. I don't know yet what i will use to create a background. And i think that when it is all finished, the Malawi fish will go to the aquarium i'm building now and that i will use the existing aquarium voor middle american cichlids.
Wow... that's going to be an amazing display!

Couple of questions though... are you not worried about linking the two from the perspective of disease? If anything should ever happen in one tank, it would also affect the other.

And the next question... you are planning on malawi cichlids in one, and central american cichlids in the other, but both sharing the same water? Do they not have drastically different preferences for water parameters?

And now, back to the amazement of an aquarium in the house the stretches almost four meters - WOW!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... that's going to be an amazing display!

Couple of questions though... are you not worried about linking the two from the perspective of disease? If anything should ever happen in one tank, it would also affect the other.

And the next question... you are planning on malawi cichlids in one, and central american cichlids in the other, but both sharing the same water? Do they not have drastically different preferences for water parameters?

And now, back to the amazement of an aquarium in the house the stretches almost four meters - WOW!!!!
I'm not really worried about that. I have aquariums already for years and had never problems with diseases. I think that is also due to the technique, which i always pay a lot of time and attention to. The more water the more steady the water quality is. A lot of disease appear with heave fluxations in the water quality.

No, the fish i want to keep have about the same preferences for water parameters. If i wanted south american cichlids it would be a different story, but central america there are also a lot of biotope with hard water.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Very cool so far. Can't wait to see it all filled. A plywood build like that has always interested me. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started making the aquarium waterproof.
And now is the time to make some decisions about the lights and decor.
And about what to do with the background: keep it open and use seperate stones i can make myself; make a complete background or make partly a background with open pieces or a piece.
I saw some nice examples i could try to make. There will be mostly utaka's swimming in it and the rock walls i saw looked like what you could see in their natural habitat.
I don't know what you think of it or have any suggestions, if you do i'm interested to hear about that!

The inside where the window is comming in the epoxy
b.jpg

first time with the liquid pond liner
a.jpg

blue just as in my previous aquarium
c.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started making a rock background, i make 1 big part and a smaller, lower part. Upside the lower part you will see still blue. I'm also making some seperate rocks, a bit smaller than planned. For the background i use tempex, i use 2 layers of it, 1 layer i cut of the pieces and the other to glue them on.
I don't want to make everything to tick, but still get a lot of depth.
When i put the tileglue on the tempex i finish it of with epoxy with some pigment in it.

d.jpg b.jpg c.jpg a.jpg e.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
This project is giving me way too many ideas.

With the segmentation of the flat sheet - did you cut each rock/projection separately, that's why you had it? Or was it something else?

Aaaargh... why do you have to be soooo far away, you should have built it in BC then we could all come for a tour.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This project is giving me way too many ideas.

With the segmentation of the flat sheet - did you cut each rock/projection separately, that's why you had it? Or was it something else?

Aaaargh... why do you have to be soooo far away, you should have built it in BC then we could all come for a tour.
Yes i cut it out seperately and glued it on another piece of tempex and than with a soldering burner over it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did put both parts of the rock wall in the epoxy and added some collor on it,i did the collor in dark grey.
I did try not to give it a smooth color.
I'm going to put everything one more time in the epxoy.
I have the largest piece backwall glued in the tank, I did this with the liquid pond liner,i did this already for a part in the other fish tank
It goes on this way, fine.

Iam also working on the lights, i made a list on the ceiling where some hanging lights are comming and two kinds of spots, same as the

ones i'm using to light the room. And for all the lights i use the led variants.
The list on the ceiling i make of the same material i used for finishing the aquarium.

a.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The two rock walls are glued into the aquarium.
The lighting is now ready, I still need to replace certain lamps to LED lamps.
The aluminum cap lamps I have taken over from a guy, the rest of the spots I had at home lighting the house. I
have replaced the bar where everything is assembled and it is made ??of scrap pieces I had left over from the aquarium.
I do not have all the lights I have mounted directly needed in the aquarium, but I've also installed lights to the room where
the whole is able to illuminate.
I cut the lights standart but is of course a lamp / fitting, if needed the number of lamps in the caps i can
extend through a round piece of plywood in the hood to fit it in with several holes for other lamps / fittings.
If I estimate the hoods offer space for around 10 LED spots E27 fitting, at the moment I have enough light.
I must say that this is difficult to say without water in the tank.
This week I'm going to make some rocks for the bottom.
Thursday the glass will be delivered.
I'm still watching how the filtered water in the aquarium must flow, I am still not sure how I'm going to do that. I would obviously not use such a tube in the aquarium where the water is sprayed, but something like I've done my existing aquarium Malawi.
This will ensure good circulation to get into the aquarium.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is the mixture you are brushing on?

Any tips<G>
In the fake stone there is a real stone inside.
The stones are placed on a piece of Styrofoam, then I have everything sprayed with polyurethane foam
After drying, I used an old saw to make the shape.
Than 2 thick layers of tile adhesive, after drying the epoxy with a color additive.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts