British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recieved my plant order from Aquaflora last night and got my 15 gallon going with a dry start. Substrate is Eco-Complete. Plant list will eventually include:

HC
Ammannia gracilis
Hygrophila ssp. Pantanal Wavy
Ludwigia repens
Heteranthera zosterifolia
E. tenellus

Stock list will be:

Chili rasboras
Cherry shrimp
Amano shrimp

Tank details:

15 gallon w/ glass top
24W sunblaster light from Solar Hydroponics
100w Stealth heater
AC30

I might do some different species of shrimp later on, but I am new to shrimp and don't want to start with really expensive ones. I got the HC planted for the dry start. There is one more pot coming that will be added. Right now there is 3 pots in the tank. I am trying to achieve a golf course type look for this tank. The HC will be the fairway, the tenellus is the rough and the rest of the plants will form the forest. I also have a nice piece of driftwood that will be a centerpiece.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. I have never attempted anything like this before so we shall see how it goes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good luck !!! with everything - I will be watching your adventure for sure as I have always wanted to do something like this but have never had the confidence :).

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck !!! with everything - I will be watching your adventure for sure as I have always wanted to do something like this but have never had the confidence :).
Thanks Gwenn, you should just give it a try. What's the worst that can happen?

I would try to break the HC up into smaller clumps (I know it's a lot of work) and spread it out a little better so you get faster carpeting. But so far, looks great.
I was thinking that too, but I wanted to get it planted last night before I went to bed. I might break it up a little more over the weekend if I have some free time. And they are pretty small clumps, the angle of the shot makes them look bigger. Plus, one more pot will be going in there as well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Im thinking about it for sure..I just need to see it done first :)..so cant wait to see more pictures, post as you go along - i know its a lot of work posting pics..(personally I hate it) ..but it would be appreciated if you do :)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries, I was planning to post a picture every couple of days to show progress, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, how's this for 2 days growth? Doubled in size! LOL, you too can have growth like this. All you need is a forgetful friend who leaves his order of HC at his office. Then, you go collect it and bam! Twice as much HC in one day. Works like a charm. I may have to patent this technique. What do you think Gary? :p

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,275 Posts
Hello Daniel.

You may find that 24W of T5HO over a 15 gallon, may not be sufficient light for HC, stargrass, and the Amannia. These guys prefer 2 - 3 WPG. I have 24W T5HO and 28W of T5NO over my 15 gallon and the growth is very quick.

The hygro, ludwigia, and pygmy chain sword should be fine with the existing light.

I would also highly recommend using pressurized CO2 or Excel/Metricide as a carbon source. Your Amano and Cherry shrimp will be fine with the carbon replacement method as well (overdose amounts for algae control are also well tolerated). Of course your chillis will be fine too. I have personal experience with all of the suggestions above.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Respectfully,

Stuart

HC
Ammannia gracilis
Hygrophila ssp. Pantanal Wavy
Ludwigia repens
Heteranthera zosterifolia
E. tenellus

15 gallon w/ glass top
24W sunblaster light from Solar Hydroponics
(still need to buy the filter and heater)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Daniel.

You may find that 24W of T5HO over a 15 gallon, may not be sufficient light for HC, stargrass, and the Amannia. These guys prefer 2 - 3 WPG. I have 24W T5HO and 28W of T5NO over my 15 gallon and the growth is very quick.

The hygro, ludwigia, and pygmy chain sword should be fine with the existing light.

I would also highly recommend using pressurized CO2 or Excel/Metricide as a carbon source. Your Amano and Cherry shrimp will be fine with the carbon replacement method as well (overdose amounts for algae control are also well tolerated). Of course your chillis will be fine too. I have personal experience with all of the suggestions above.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Respectfully,

Stuart
Thanks for the info. I had planned on using metricide and if I find the light insufficient I can always add another of the one I have. They chain together easily and are only $25. I will give you a shout if I have any other problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,275 Posts
Sounds good.

Update us with pics. I'd take some pics of 15 gallon but my camera is not the best :(! People often tell me to post pics of it though.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be updated regularly. One question I have is that since I have almost filled the area I wanted to be carpeted, How long should I wait before flooding it? I was planning to wait at least a month and see how much it had filled in. I am thinking that could still be a good idea. I want to make sure it has rooted anough that it won't get uprooted too easily. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, no new picture right now, but the HC seems to be doing well. Tim, from Aquaflora, dropped off the one pot of HC that was missing from my order. He dropped off what seems like the equivalent of 4 more pots, so the whole area I wanted to cover is basically done now. I just need to wait until it roots a little harder and starts to spread a bit more before I flood it. Another few weeks and it should be good. I will try and get a new picture up before the weekend.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL, definitely you can have some when it gets there, seeing as how a good portion was yours to start with. ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts