British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Its about time I post a Journal on here again. Its been awhile! This is my 160 gallon mixed community. Tank has been running for around a month.

Equipment:

Tank: 72"L, 18"w, 30"T
Ehiem 300 watt heater
Ehiem 150 watt heater
Marina Optima Air pump
Fluval FX5
X4 3' T5 Bulbs - Will be upgrading soon
Standard gravel
3m S grade sand Brown/tan mix.

Decor:

The Idea behind this tank was to have a main sand bed where plecos and other bottom feeders would have room to dwell without bothering plants towards the outside. Using two kinds of substrate brings lots of possibilities . I also wanted to create lots of places to plant on wood. The wood in the tank is from my apple tree we cut down a few years back, finally all dried out! Also have a few Pieces of mopani wood in there. Can't wait to plant it. I would like to add Some Jungle vals, maybe a crinium species, windelov fern, and moss!

Fish:

X2 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
X2 Ghost Knife fish
X1 Glass knife fish
X6 True Rummynose tetras
X4 Espei rasbora
X1 lemon tetra
X2 Driftwood Catfish
X10+ Busheynose
X5 Sterbai cory

I would like to add another 4 Ghost knife eventually, and maybe another 6+ glass knife. Maybe some dwarf rainbow fish of some type. Might look for some lady friends for the Jacks But I wont breed them in this tank.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Alex i like your new glass knife fish and of course the albino female long fin pleco. I found my black ghost knife loves...loves... dried black worms. Did you get that canopy at the auction....if so it looks amazing!

Nice looking aquascape. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alex i like your new glass knife fish and of course the albino female long fin pleco. I found my black ghost knife loves...loves... dried black worms. Did you get that canopy at the auction....if so it looks amazing!

Nice looking aquascape. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Drew. Yeah the glass knife is amazing. He is so active compared to the two ghost knives I have... and so fast!! Yeah, This is the canopy from the auction :). So pleased with it! Who ever built it did a great job. Fit like a glove, within 1/16th.

Looks good. I like the branches.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Glass knife is cool as they are active fish. They come out in the open with light on. And they like to social with each other. You can actually get a group going together. Though eventually, your ghost knife will not like the glass knife. And you might have an aggression problem with the ghost knife toward the glass knife when your ghost knife starting to mature.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Decided to take the tank in another direction. They are plant eaters :p
lol. all they were fed was pellets. maybe they saw the plants as a treat. hope they found a good home! i raised those babies from 2-3 inches to 10 inch.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glass knife is cool as they are active fish. They come out in the open with light on. And they like to social with each other. You can actually get a group going together. Though eventually, your ghost knife will not like the glass knife. And you might have an aggression problem with the ghost knife toward the glass knife when your ghost knife starting to mature.
So far I have seen no aggression. I will monitor this. I have only noticed aggression between the two ghost knives.
I may have to come grab a few knife fish off you :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I was going to stick to weekly updates

BUT I couldn't resist. My two largest busheynose just laid a clutch of eggs :) The male is defending them vigorously lol.

They actually laid them in a very photogenic place. Everyone, get ready for nightly updates until they hatch!

Eggs Laid within 6 hours.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Very nice. You might find the black ghosts will stop tolerating each other even when they're smaller. The glass knives are definitely shoaling, and extremely social with conspecifics.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice. You might find the black ghosts will stop tolerating each other even when they're smaller. The glass knives are definitely shoaling, and extremely social with conspecifics.
Yeah, I am thinking might have to re-home the ghost knives. The first severe spat And ill bring them out. I think it would be cool to see an adult shoal of glass knives... What do you guys think??

Now as far as busheynose go, the mom is Long fin, and the dad is short fin. What should I expect from the babies? I need to get working on my fry saver!!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Kacairns bred his long fin with a short fin and I believe you get a lot more short fin compared to long fins. Probably like 75-80% short fin to 20-25% long fin

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Kacairns bred his long fin with a short fin and I believe you get a lot more short fin compared to long fins. Probably like 75-80% short fin to 20-25% long fin
Was more like 90% short fin =)

With that said that 10% was between my chocolate long fin and silvertip regular fin with all spawn being silvertip, my albino long fin and calico regular fin had 0% long fin but came out with a mixture of calico and albino's

1 - 20 of 51 Posts