British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Which Breeding Pair To Put Into This Tank?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so time to start this journal up again...

Lost a lot of what I'd writen in the crash....

The concept was to have a super low maintance tank and still is...

I was gifted a light for the tank so it is going to be lighted now 9 watt 6500k. The original idea was to just use avaiable light. I'm going to dose as little fertz as possible.

I had a Plant List writen out before the crash I'll just write the names of the plants as they go in this time around. I've got all the plants for the tank now as well.

Tonight I got around to puting the substrate in and to planting the first couple plants that i'm going to dry start into the tank.

First thing I did was soak some peat in a bucket for 2 weeks.

I scimmed off the top scum / mineral layer with a net.

Next I put a thin layer of the peat on the bottom of the tank.

I took a couple root tabs and chopped them up and placed them ontop of the peat.

The next layer was some type of a substrate that was given to me as well it came with root tabs in it but I pulled them out....

The next layer was a 2 to 1 mix of ADA and peat...

The next layer was ADA and flourite risened well....

The first plant to go in is Plagiomnium Trichomanes... used a little crazy glue to stick it down to the cork bark...

Next plant to go in was some Marsilea quadrifolia ( also given to me )

A good mist and syran wrap lid and on goes the light ( also given to me )

There is going to be alot more plants and moss and other goodness going into this tank... here's the rough out of the hardscape and plants from before...

A VERY SPEACIAL THANK YOU MEMBER MAUREEN aka ( Morainy ) Her generosity is mind blowing!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Really nice tank, Scholz! I'm very excited about your killifish project. You inspired me to keep killifish myself and now I'm fascinated by these fish, though mine were easier than yours -- they were already swimming when I got them from Graham. They didn't have to be hatched.

I remember your killi tank journal from the old forum. But, I seem to recall that you had a cork background, or some sort of background, to your tank. Am I misremembering? Or have you redesigned the whole thing since your first journal? I know that you put a great deal of thought into the design of your tank. I'm more of a "drop it in and run" person. Plug and Play.

This is going to be a really interesting journal!

PS. Your middle layer of substrate is Sera Floredepot. It's probably a good thing that you pulled out the tabs because they float up to the top of your substrate and sit there and then it looks like you're feeding Aspirin to your fish. Floredepot didn't always come with tabs. I think that Stuart told me that the tabs are calcium. (?)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
that's a great start.
i hope you will be updating this thread frequently..
thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Interesting, keep us updated Brian :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a cork bark backing at the top of the tank.... It's the same as it was in the first post haven't changed anything... I'm excited to be working on this little tank again... It's fun! In the next couple of week I'll get planted and filled.... Might buy a shorter version of one of the planed plants so that it can grow into the tank.... Rather than the giant I have allready... Going to take a trip down to IPU in Richmond tomorrow...

Really nice tank, Scholz! I'm very excited about your killifish project. You inspired me to keep killifish myself and now I'm fascinated by these fish, though mine were easier than yours -- they were already swimming when I got them from Graham. They didn't have to be hatched.

I remember your killi tank journal from the old forum. But, I seem to recall that you had a cork background, or some sort of background, to your tank. Am I misremembering? Or have you redesigned the whole thing since your first journal? I know that you put a great deal of thought into the design of your tank. I'm more of a "drop it in and run" person. Plug and Play.

This is going to be a really interesting journal!

PS. Your middle layer of substrate is Sera Floredepot. It's probably a good thing that you pulled out the tabs because they float up to the top of your substrate and sit there and then it looks like you're feeding Aspirin to your fish. Floredepot didn't always come with tabs. I think that Stuart told me that the tabs are calcium. (?)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Adding A Poll for those that are playing along....

I've got a selection of different eggs that I've collected.. The Simppsonichytis Fulminantis Guanambi F1 are
the eggs that are going to be up first with the two other Speices ready to hatch in july....

1. Nothobranchius Caprivi Salambala NA 07-1

These eggs are from a local killifish breeder and are very common

2. Austrolebias Alexandri Camino Accesso

These eggs came from germany from a man who has the most amazing collection of killifish EVER!!!
Check him out his fish will blow your mind!!!!!! http://www.samskillifish.com/

3. Simppsonichytis Fulminantis Guanambi F1

These are eggs from the first tank raised generation.... I also have a picture of where this species was collected.
These eggs are also from a killifish breeder that doesn't rasie any killifish unless he collected the speices himself.
Their from Brazil and the breeder lives in France. I also have the exact water conditions of the pond they came from.

Who's it going to be? SEE POLL @ TOP OF THREAD

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The nothobranchius might be common (though not to me! I've never even heard of them) but that fish has the best grin on his face! I can't wait to see your killifish family grow.

Which plant do you need a smaller version of? Because if it's the java fern, I have a couple of plantlets that grew off a leaf. You're welcome to them. Very small. I also have anubias (nana petite) that are still looking for a home.

Off topic... but I rescaped my 25 gallon today, the one that I hadn't been happy with. The containers of plants that I got from AquaFlora had many, many, many plants in them. Wow! I had a great time arranging them and now the tank looks completely different from the way it was when you saw it (and to me, much better).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a Crypt...

As for the grin on the notho... I didn't even notice it till you said it. You need to vote for them then on the poll! I've got pretty much everything I need for this tank now... Just need the betta fry to grow up so I can fish the plants and moss out of their tank. Can't wait to see the new and improved 25 gallon! If it's as good as a job on your pico tank then i'm sure it's fantastic!

The nothobranchius might be common (though not to me! I've never even heard of them) but that fish has the best grin on his face! I can't wait to see your killifish family grow.

Which plant do you need a smaller version of? Because if it's the java fern, I have a couple of plantlets that grew off a leaf. You're welcome to them. Very small. I also have anubias (nana petite) that are still looking for a home.

Off topic... but I rescaped my 25 gallon today, the one that I hadn't been happy with. The containers of plants that I got from AquaFlora had many, many, many plants in them. Wow! I had a great time arranging them and now the tank looks completely different from the way it was when you saw it (and to me, much better).

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Here's a short video that Scholz sent me the link to. If you watch it, in 2 minutes you will see why killifish are among the most amazing creatures on this planet. And you will also see why Scholz's 2.5 gallon killi tank is more or less a surrogate for an elephant's footprint...

I noticed the grin too. Very charming fish.

Does anyone have a website they recommend to read up on these fish? They are fascinating.

Voted for #2. I love his colours :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Noah's Pet Ark On Broadway.

Any pet store that has terranium stuff should have it.

It's cheap and makes a super cool back drop. sillicon it in place with aquarium safe sillicon. Or if you are going to use it as a back drop you can presure fit it under the lip. I love the look of natural cork bark.

where did you get the cork bark from??

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh man, that's a cool video. Didn't know that killifish lived in such environments. Thanks for sharing.

Brian, keep us updated on the status of the tank. It looks really good so far.

BTW, I voted for #3. The fin colours look amazing.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yah intresting vid, I love those kind of nature shows!

I cant wait to see some killi in the tank.

I voted for:Austrolebias Alexandri Camino Accesso

blue is my favourite colour so that's why I went with that.

Do you order the eggs online. I want to try some in a possible nano set up pm me with info!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update on the dry start growth. The Plagiomnium Trichomanes is doing awesome. New little plants growing on the bark. The growth is hard to see in any pictures cause the plant is so small. I've heard people have had trouble with this plant. I had it for over a month in my high light/co2 tank and it did well. We'll see how it does in this little tank. The Marsilea Quadrifolia is doing really well too

Here's what it looked like after just being planted....

And here's after a week of growth.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got a new nano sponge filter for the killifish fry tank.

It's an e-bay find. I like it because all i have to do is fill up the bottom container with bio media from my canister filter and presto cycled sponge filter

1 - 20 of 77 Posts