British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of taking down and consolidating a couple of my reef tanks, I suddenly had the urge to set up a high tech planted set-up again.

At first I was in search for a small ADA style tank, but while picking up a filter and heater from a fellow member (mcrocker), I was gifted an older 20 gallon tank.

The dimensions of this tank are great, 24"x18"x12", though it will require extra maintenance and scaling to keep it growing low due to the short height.

Equipment:

Filter - Eheim 2213 filter
Heater - 200W Hydor Inline
Light - Kessil A150W Amazon Sun Pendant LED
Co2 - 10# tank with aqua medic solenoid and Co2 atomizer.

I had some old (but still good) eco-complete sitting in 2 garbage bins from my old 150 gallon planted, so I decided to wash and reuse it.

Thanks for mcrocker for the filter, heater and tank.
Also, thank to Pat (Canadian Aquatics) for hooking up some gear and the carpet plants, Bien and rwong2k10 for the clippings.

I'll try to update this thread to track the growth, as this is the first time I've grown plants with LED's. Always used CFL and hot5's as they are tried and true.

Here are some pics of the newly planted tank:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Looks good, ill be following this thread! I'm a big kessil fan and curious to see what they can do on a setup like that. Very nice start.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice Jeremy..... That's a nice footprint for sure. How high above the tank is the Kessil LED?

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The kessil is probably about 18" above the top of the water, so around 26-28" or so from the lowest point of the substrate.

Jeremy, I thought you were down sizing :)
This is downsizing! Shutting down the 90 and 100 gallon reef tanks soon and moving the livestock into a single bigger tank.

Want to get down to 3 tanks, max...

Very nice Jeremy! Are those Hairgrass for your carpeting? They look very lush.

Thanks, Kimson. Yes, it is hairgrass. Lazy planting, it will look a lot better once it's filled in a bit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update. Plants have settled in nicely, and some good growth already. A few new clippings from fellow members added and some tank inhabitants finally.
Here are a few pics right after tonight's water change:

ImageUploadedByPG Free1395293419.330827.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1395293440.481291.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1395293457.717212.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey man, any updates on how the tank is doing? It's been 3 weeks since the last post! What kind of fish do you have in there?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts