British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is $200 a fair price for a 6" Red texas ?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I have seen them go for more. So it all depends on quality. Kolewolf will know more about them as he imported a few before.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the one in the pic an SRT ?

·
Banned
797 Posts
Yes, that is an adult A+ grade SRT. To this day I wonder if its food had been spiked with hormones, but I will never know.

An example of a young SRT (about two inches) is here:

and here:

The juvenile fish above cost around $50 USD in Bangkok, probably cost around $300 here.

A more common example of a nice "B-A" grade RT is here:

or here:

or here:

The fish above would probably retail locally for around $200 or maybe more, depending on the store.

I can access the markets where these fish are sold if you are looking for fish like this. I find the Thais take a long time these days to fill small orders, however, so if you are in a hurry to get one I would buy one already landed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Time to smuggle from Bangkok lol jk $50 USD For that guy would be a steal of a price, but too bad our price demands here are so much higher

·
Banned
797 Posts
Actually, the prices are perfectly fair here when you take into consideration the risk of DOA's, the cost of shipping, the taxes and export papers, the hours spent in organizing orders and taking delivery, the cost of investing in holding facilities, etc., etc.

Plus, just because a fish looks nice when young does not mean it will be a show winner when grown up; RT's are famous for peppering and fading as they grow; not to mention there can be a host of other health issues that prevent a fish from reaching maturity.

In some ways, any super exotic adult fish is worth what it is due to the odds against a juvenile fish turning out that way...

·
Registered
743 Posts
At the high price tag maybe just start a Texan and RD crossbreeding program? seems profitable enough.
That is if the wife allows (sigh)
And your own personal ethics allows of course.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It turns out to be a female, and it is 2 years old the owner switched to aro's and dropped him at the lfs. in trade for some equipment. It was offered to me for $100 so I may take it. I just need a bigger tank !

·
Banned
797 Posts
I wonder if it is my old Red Texas? If so, I chose her in person in Bangkok and then imported her to Vancouver. She later went from my tank to Kole's tank to Honda3000's tank to another guy's tank, and then I lost track of her. I believe Honda3000 actually got her to spawn with an FH.

Here are a few photos of her (she was a B-B+ grade) with a very good quality Red Dragon FH.

Flower Horn and Red Texas

·
Registered
743 Posts
She must have had high Charisma to sway a scary looking FH like that! Wow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts