British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my dreams of owning a 210g African show tank have finally started. I've bought the sump, overflow box and made the stand. Last thing is to buy the tank and light. Drill it and start setting it all up. This tank is going to be the tank of all tanks.

My plan is to drill a hole at the 50% mark on the back of the tank. Add a ball valve and plumbing. It will be attached to my bathroom sink behind my tank, for quick 50% water changes. I will also be running hot and cold lines to the sump to make it nice and easy to refill.

The sump I bought is 5 1/2ft long. It's 2 separate sumps joined together giving me tons of room for bio media and whatever else I decide to put in there. White Wood Interior design Tartan Floor White Wood Interior design Tartan Floor

Tank will be a brand new Aqueon 210g. Drilled at the back to accommodate my overflow box.

Overflow box is Synergy Reef Rectangle Font Electronic instrument Magenta Composite material
This overflow can handle 2500g/hr. I'm hoping to hook up the emergency pipe to the 50% drain pipe behind the ball valve so the tank can never be over filled as Ive had a few overfills on my current tank. Hopefully that will work out.

Return pump I haven't decided yet but it will be big and move a lot of water.
Hydroponic store by my house sells them so I will most likely be buying it from there as I've found they are way cheaper there and they will let me return it if I'm not happy with it.

The stand is custom made by my buddy. It's oak veneered MDF with solid oak trim. Stained dark. It's a show piece on it own. Most of the wood was free so the build only cost me $200 :) the stand has soft close hinges and they are hidden. She's a beauty!
Wood Wood stain Window Hardwood Plywood Wood Shelf Rectangle Wood stain Plank

As for lighting I'm still trying to decide but I'll st likely be going full spectrum LED. This will be a planted African tank of course, so trying to find a light that works well for fish and plants has been a little tricky. A build in timer is a must.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds amazing! I'm assuming the sumps will be joined after going into the stand as you're unlikely to slide a 5.5 foot sump in if it is already fused. If you are using direct water lines into the sump how are you going to control temp? Can't wait to see it all in place.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sigh. Now I have "stand envy" and feel like I should beautify mine... way to go, making more work for me. All kidding aside, that is a really nice stand. I look forward to seeing pictures of the set-up.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Otolith the lines to the sump will only be used when filling the tank. Other than that thy will be just like normal faucets. Turn them on to fill. Turn off when full. Some people have suggested a constant drip system but for now I'm going to try to keep it semi simple. Yes the sump parts in 2. But the Centre cack brace on the stand can be easily removed if it was one piece.

Plumberboy. You have your work cut out for you. I'm hoping you can produce the plumbing I'm dreaming about.

Rogo. Thanks for the compliment. Me and my buddy built the stand in 15hrs start to finish in his wood working shop. He does this for a living an it top notch in his trade. I will post more pictures once I get the stand in my garage.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Beauty of a stand there Justin. Great idea of building for ease of maintenance as it just ups the enjoyment. You can easily do a auto wc or drip system as you have plumbing already there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beauty of a stand there Justin. Great idea of building for ease of maintenance as it just ups the enjoyment. You can easily do a auto wc or drip system as you have plumbing already there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks Tony. Ill have better pictures of the stand soon. At the moment its in Hope so I need to get it home and stain it one more time as it didnt turn out as dark as I wanted.

Drip and auto top off do take it to a new level. At the moment I still enjoy working on my tank so almost no maintenance scares me. LOL. I will read more about Auto top off and drip as the build progresses. I'm hoping king eds has boxing day sales on their tanks this year. :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Thanks Tony. Ill have better pictures of the stand soon. At the moment its in Hope so I need to get it home and stain it one more time as it didnt turn out as dark as I wanted.

Drip and auto top off do take it to a new level. At the moment I still enjoy working on my tank so almost no maintenance scares me. LOL. I will read more about Auto top off and drip as the build progresses. I'm hoping king eds has boxing day sales on their tanks this year. :)
King Ed will usually have their tanks on sale for Boxing Day. I haven't seen a boxing day where they haven't had tanks on sale. I think they used to even deliver it to inside your house for only $50 which is awesome. Glass is so expensive now compared to just 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Finally got the stand home from Hope. Im most likely going to stain it a little darker to match all the other wood in my house. It does look great the way it is. I was excited to fit the sump underneath to see how it will look. Looks bad ass. Slowly coming along. The picturesecond not working. I'll try again in a bit

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The stand looks pretty good the way it is. I find that you can really see the grain better when its a bit lighter too.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As knucklehead said. It's basically saw dust glued and pressed together. Than a thin layer of white oak is glued to it. To be honest it's probably not the best for fish tanks but it was free and all the exposed edges are capped with a solid piece of oak. The last stand my friend built me was oak veneered plywood but it's $100 a sheet.

Tony I agree but it just doesn't match anything in my house. It looks awesome though as is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As knucklehead said. It's basically saw dust glued and pressed together. Than a thin layer of white oak is glued to it. To be honest it's probably not the best for fish tanks but it was free and all the exposed edges are capped with a solid piece of oak. The last stand my friend built me was oak veneered plywood but it's $100 a sheet.

Tony I agree but it just doesn't match anything in my house. It looks awesome though as is.
The stand looks very nice. Get yourself a good realtor and everything will sort itself out. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
As knucklehead said. It's basically saw dust glued and pressed together. Than a thin layer of white oak is glued to it. To be honest it's probably not the best for fish tanks.
That's what I thought when I read your post, but then I looked at the pics and saw that you used it to wrap a wood frame - so you're fine structurally in the event the MDF gets water logged.

I have a commercially bought veneered MDF stand for my 75g. It doesn't have a wooden substructure, but it's held up fine.

Your stand is gorgeous.

·
Registered
349 Posts
MDF isn't the best option for anything that is near water, haha... but it will work just fine. I would recommend to prime all exposed MDF surfaces to provide some level of moisture protection, if you really cared. Easy to do when you have the full sheets laying around before you start cutting to size.

MDF also weighs a ton, but it is definitely a great finish material as it is very easy to work with for multiple purposes.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
MDF isn't the best option for anything that is near water, haha... but it will work just fine. I would recommend to prime all exposed MDF surfaces to provide some level of moisture protection, if you really cared. Easy to do when you have the full sheets laying around before you start cutting to size.

MDF also weighs a ton, but it is definitely a great finish material as it is very easy to work with for multiple purposes.
Yeah, you do have to be careful with MDF around water for sure. That being said, even my Red Sea tank stand is built out of MDF but it is extremely well sealed with a very heavy duty and very hard laminate/coating over top. I had trouble putting screws into it without drilling first. I think if anything, be very careful with any standing or pooling water and make sure you protect the base/bottom of the stand.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts