British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just got a 210 gallon 6'x2' ,everything ready, when i was filling the tank up with water, then I noticed the water level is uneven by 1 inch...
what do you guys suggest? any help would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
That's a pretty significant difference in level. I would empty the tank and see what's causing the issue. Most likely culprit is the floor. You might want to shim the stand on the side that is out. Just get a decent length level, like a 3 or 4 foot level and shim it up until it reads level. For minor differences you can use wood or composite shims that are sold at home depot. For bigger differences, you may need to find some solid material to rest the stand on to make up some of the big difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Yes, I would deal with the problem now & simply empty & shim the tank. I have a huge level if you live near Burnaby and want to borrow it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i shim the tank by one the lower side, then would the stand still have enough support for the tank? or should i go home depot and custom make a wood board and place it under the whole stand?

·
Registered
916 Posts
If i shim the tank by one the lower side, then would the stand still have enough support for the tank? or should i go home depot and custom make a wood board and place it under the whole stand?
Depends on what type of stand and how its made.As long as you support all the vertically running boards you should be fine .I would put up some pics if you can . If you have more than 4 legs ,definetly support the center ones as well . Where r u located EN means nothing to me :confused:

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
The right way to do it is to fix the floor. If that's not possible then make alterations to the stand. A full inch off is a lot to ask of a few shims so I'd only rely on shims as a last resort.

Last, but not least: NEVER EVER PLACES SHIMS DIRECTLY UNDER THE TANK ITSELF!!!!. If you must use shims, shim the stand and NOT the tank.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Styrofoam would help dramatically under the aquarium. that looks like a very nice custom stand, unfortunately there is no cushion to absorb the weight and level things out. 1/2" of styrofoam would make a huge difference, maybe enough but you wont know until you try. Regardless, without any foam on a set up like that is asking for trouble.....

·
Registered
743 Posts
If it was me I would use a table saw (borrow if you have to) and make gradually thicker strips and straddle the width of the stand at the base. Going from back to front .
I would not want just the end of one side elevated.
that looks like a very well constructed stand, but the weight would put huge stress on the base and likely harm it.
Take your time and do it right or you may wish you had later.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yeah, shims would only be for MINOR adjustments. But like others have said, if its an inch out, you are talking about quite a bit and you really need to be fixing the floor. That being said, its not exactly easy to fix an out of level hardwood floor. You could remove the flooring, put down some self leveling cement and reinstall the floor. Alternatively, you need to find something to put under the stand that will provide even support to the stand where it makes contact with the floor. Not so easy. My stand from way back was out a bit on one side....not as much as you, and I was able to put some squares of thin carpet tiles under there to take up some of the gap. I could have used some thin hard linoleum squares I suppose. I was able to lay out enough sheets of it, stacking some of them depending on the gap, to fill in most of the gaps under the stand. Worked well for me for many years.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i should put some foam anyways..?

Styrofoam would help dramatically under the aquarium. that looks like a very nice custom stand, unfortunately there is no cushion to absorb the weight and level things out. 1/2" of styrofoam would make a huge difference, maybe enough but you wont know until you try. Regardless, without any foam on a set up like that is asking for trouble.....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking about the same idea, but with a big piece of custom measured thickness woodboard...would that work?
If it was me I would use a table saw (borrow if you have to) and make gradually thicker strips and straddle the width of the stand at the base. Going from back to front .
I would not want just the end of one side elevated.
that looks like a very well constructed stand, but the weight would put huge stress on the base and likely harm it.
Take your time and do it right or you may wish you had later.
Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
The necessity of using styrofoam under a framed tank like the OP has is a debatable point. In any event, 1/2 an inch of foam won't fix a full inch out of level. The bottom line is that the OP must do something about the floor and/or the stand.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
No amount of foam is going to help something that out of level. Even if foam is used, getting the tank as close to level as possible before hand is a must. If the tank was no framed, then I think the foam is a great idea, but in the standard stands, there's not even a bottom for the foam to sit on, just the frame. I bought my 125 from Big Al's in Richmond before it was Island Pets and the pine stand I got it with is bottomless. The frame of the tank sits on the frame of the stand. The bottom doesn't even touch anything so the frame supports all the weight.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all the suggestions guys, I am thinking to go with a big piece of custom measured thickness woodboard to go under the whole stand, and will put 1/2 foam or a bit thicker foam under the tank, my stand is not bottomless, would that work? maybe the best i can do other than fixing the floor...

·
Registered
124 Posts
A 210 on a saggy floor? Man, I hope you've got insurance. :p I think you've got to rethink the placement of your tank before you think about using shims.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
The floor is not saggy by the sounds of it, it is a hardwood floor which commonly is not super level. Most aquariums are on carpet, which gives some aid in leveling.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts