British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wow, well made stand. You won't have any trouble there.
Also interested to see what you will house in 240gals
Looking forward to updates.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Glad you went ahead and built a proper stand. :) That stand looks like you could park a truck on it. Must have weighed a ton too. I built mine very much the same way for my 400 and it required two people to just move it a tiny bit. The sump area looks pretty tight though. Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. just gonna keep freshwater for now . as for stock haven't figured it out yet. have a few ideas but have to see how it tuns out. for now it just has the fish from the 80 gallon. looks kinda empty .
the stand i made myself in the end and i wanted it to be overkill. it took 4 guys to move it and it was about as heavy as the tank.. the sump is very tight i was trying to keep the stand as low as possible and i kinda screwed up when i made it . i didn't counter in for the height of the 2x4s and the plywood. whoops.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Interesting kind of fish you got in there... :)

Can't wait to see more as this develops!

Reactions: mrbob

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The setup looks great. I did the same to myself with the clearance for plumbing. Trying to strike a balance between giving yourself a ton of space versus making the tank too tall is tough.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks . yes it is tough to get a happy medium. I'm really thinking of putting a big filter system in my basement. I've got almost 3 feet of wall that goes into the basement and then 5 feet of space in the basement. drill a couple holes in the walls and it would be easy . that might be the next plan if the sump dosent work out

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
That would be an awesome plan and you would end up with a silent tank too. In fact if you have plumbing and a drain down below, I can see auto waterchange in your future too! I could only imagine having a setup like that.

Sent from my gigantic Samsung Note 2

·
Registered
890 Posts
tank looks great stand looks great but are you placing that tank on a concrete floor? Consider the weight when full if you are on a wood frame floor. if you have a crawl space or basement you could always add additional support below the tank but you are looking at over 3000 pounds when full...I know I would not feel comfortable if that was on the second floor of my hose wwith opne space below. I have a 230 gallon tank on a 2' X 6' footprint and it sits on my concrete basement floor...I thnink it should be stocked with 1000 Rummynose tetras and one pleco!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Floor is 2x12 and I ran a couple 2x6 headers below in the basement. Its a 5 foot crawl space. Too much weight to not supoort it

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes I agree^ very nice work I use to fx6 in my 210 plus 3x power heads I got some stingrays for that awesome tank lol!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Now THAT is a proper stand. Beautiful work. What are you keeping or planning to keep for livestock?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. Im happy with the way it turned out too. Not sure in live stock yet. Still trying to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts