485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of last week of April..

Pics all been moved around, bit more info and some more pics at
www.tankspiration.com

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I saw this tank in person today. It has filled in nicely with a great assortment of plants. Beautiful tank indeed :)!

Stuart

·
Registered
807 Posts
OMG WOW!!!
This has grown in really nicely!!
From the 1st day you got it, to now, who would've thought it would've blossomed into such a beautiful tank.

Impressive job Lisa, you have to keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Damn Lisa - I didn't think it was possible but the tank looks even nicer then when I saw it in person. I know that you have put a lot of time and effort into this tank so I'm glad that you are getting the results that you wanted. Don't forget about me the next time you need to prune all these plants. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looking good Lisa. Major improvement since the last time l saw it with the angels, plants are really starting to fill out...:cool:

·
Registered
572 Posts
That is a very impressive tank Lisa, good job... The contrast of reds and greens are amazing, thank you for sharing this beauty to us.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Nice update. What is the plant you are trying to grow in the foreground? E. tenellus? Are you going to leave it open a bit (ie, showing some substrate)? Lately, I've been opening up the front of my tanks to give it less of that "jungle" look. Seems to make the fish come to the front more. I like the discus in the tank too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to update as Im going to rescape and didn't want to loose where I had gotten to.
Gary, I really love the pink micro tenallus but and chaining plant is too invasive I find, worked so hard to get the 4leaf going and now I dont know, the fish have an easier time when its right from the substrate getting food. Discus seem to give up and leave food to corries if its too much effort, but I guess they re well fed if they can give up that easy.

Going for more color variation this time, reds throughout.Now that I know what will have some reds in the low tech range. CRS fan got to see two plants I bought from aquariums west, one red one green, once in my tank the red is reverting to green and the green is showing some pink.... CO2 one day... I suspect that and iron is the difference.. the 2700K lights did get me some fall colours but still no red reds yet:)

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Yeah, the E. tenellus is a lot of work in my 20 gallon. I ripped most of it out. But in my low tech (read Excel) 15 gallon it's very pink and very small and slower growing, so I love it. I'm about to try glosso in my 20 I think, depending on whether I keep the tank when I add the cube.

You have the right idea though. I got the same advice from Tom Barr a while back because I was having trouble with red plants. He said start with redder plants. :D I also started dosing with TA Amazon Iron and it's made quite a big difference. In a tank of your size, you probably want to go with bulk DPTA iron chelate though, from Aquaflora (?). I think I'll try that next when I run out of TA Amazon Iron, so if you want, I can get a bunch and we can split it if you want. I'll probably just get it mailed to me rather than driving all the way out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I'm about to try glosso in my 20 I think, depending on whether I keep the tank when I add the cube.
Hello Gary.

I found Glosso extremely invasive and pulled it all up within a month. It grew to 10 times its orinal size in 1 month :eek:. HC, Dwarf Hairgrass, and 4 leaf clover might be better choices. I decided to plant all 3 in a my 15 and they all took off. They are starting to blend together. It is an interesting mix.

Lisa.

The bristlenoses are doing well and snacking on my algae :)! I hope they decide tofancy the staghorn though.

Best Regards,

Stuart

PS: Sorry for highjacking your thread Lisa.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Hello Gary.

I found Glosso extremely invasive and pulled it all up within a month. It grew to 10 times its orinal size in 1 month :eek:. HC, Dwarf Hairgrass, and 4 leaf clover might be better choices. I decided to plant all 3 in a my 15 and they all took off. They are starting to blend together. It is an interesting mix.
It's funny you should say that. Different folks for different folks. I pulled out all my dwarf hairgrass and E. tenellus because I found them to be both very invasive. :D. The dwarf hairgrass never looked very neat for me and was growing in tufts and all too long while the E. tenellus sent runners everywhere. I was hoping glosso would be easier to keep neat. I tried HC without much success and I'm not sure the plecos in that tank will allow it to stay rooted. Anyway, I don't want to jack Lisa's thread too much, but those are my personal experiences. But based on what you say, maybe Glosso is not my answer either.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
wowwww...that is a very nice display tank, and did you say your not running any co2 yet in this tank...thanks for shariing

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive decided if It chains I will change my inevitably change my mind and remove it all:

Blyxa japonica actually loves my tank, tall and nice bright green! Got more and will see if I love it where I put it.. Pics from today, Im experimenting with making rotalla banks, and working on my P stellatus archway, with Broadleaf Stellatus (thanks bien via CRSfan for the starter stem, I love propagating) Bien, Id love you to come over, master scaper, its hard for me with this size and lack of scaping experience...

Pics later dog on lap....

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
on the old bca to the new i look at this tank every day and think to my self that this is a whoop ass tank WOW

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hard to see I have rescaped but the fill in will really show

Group shot LOL They are now very use to me being downstairs and if I get close to the tank there they are:)

What will the above turn out to look like? anyone know?

Happy heckel (I think its a heckel) anyone know what the grassy pom thing is? Its chaining but I like it anyway, its a slow chainer..way bigger than my blyxa leaf wise

Dirty faced funny guy:) and one of two lemonish babies..and freshly planted blyxa
Archway Im working on..

More to came as things fill in ,

·
Registered
413 Posts
WOW!!!
Gorgeous...

I vote for that full tank shot to be our next banner, or or the 2nd to be on part of it.
Trust me - the pictures are nice but you have to see this tank in person to fully appreciate just how nice it is. I told Lisa before that she should charge $ 5 for a 15 minute viewing period. :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looking real good Lisa ...water is super clear :). The plants look great ...:D.

This is such a beautifull tank and you have made it even nicer with all your hard work and dedication .....kinda like my planted tank :p only with out the hard work and dedication :D..(.at least not by me )
Thank you soooo much for setting up my 125 as a planted tank !! YOU ROCK!!!
bill

1 - 20 of 56 Posts