British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately ive been trying to get my hands on a huge tank for my Mbu Puffer. Of course I knew there would be some speed bumps in my search. My questions is who here has a tank over 250 gallons in their home. My landlord tells me that a 300G would be a disaster waiting to happen in my place. What are your living situations, basement suites? garages?? how about house insurance, i hear it becomes void with something like this in your home.I think it may be time for me to move..??:(

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I don't think your house insurance would be void. What about people with indoor swimming pools? Your landlord just doesn't want you to get a big tank. Time to buy a place. But what you would have to do is investigate flood insurance. I mean a water bed would have 200+ gallons of water in it and people used to have those all the time.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
acutally my landlord is sorta for it. i have one of those "nice landlords". i know its not common in this city haha. hes actually going to get me someone to come take a look at our rancher. i did some math & found out a 300G is about 2500lbs of water, now add the tank weight which i dont know yet. what does most tanks this size weigh?? keep in mind it is glass.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I looked into it when I had my 150 reef and the insurance cover the damage to ur house but not the fish or fish tank itself.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A tank that big should be kept on the main floor of a house. When we move I'll be setting up my 250g in a media room that is in the basement. Good place b/c it's not on a second story and not a lot of natural light so less algae. As far as insurance goes I don't know anything about that.
whats your current set-up right now??

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm...thats not bad..i have my 120 & my 90 in the same room. Im just worried that my floor wont support 3000+lbs..

·
Registered
348 Posts
A tank that big should be on a slab floor. Both my 300G and 250G are in the basement so I have no worries. You also have to look into the heating, if it is radiant floor heating then you shouldn't put that much weight on it. The thickness of your slab and the ground under it is also a consideration.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
I have 650g in my main room but I'm on the ground floor with a fairly flat concrete floor so no worries. Biggest tank is a 210g with 75g sump. With all the live rock, glass, water, etc. looking at about 3500 to 4000 lbs I would imagine on a 6' x 2' area. Good thing I over-engineer all my stands to withstand the load.

Anthony

·
Registered
251 Posts
acutally my landlord is sorta for it. i have one of those "nice landlords". i know its not common in this city haha. hes actually going to get me someone to come take a look at our rancher. i did some math & found out a 300G is about 2500lbs of water, now add the tank weight which i dont know yet. what does most tanks this size weigh?? keep in mind it is glass.
A 300 gallon glass tank would probabely weigh around 600-700 lbs dry weight. With water your looking at over 3000 lbs so if u don't live in a basement or in a apartment suite on the mainfloor which is concrete base then I wouldn't recommend it. Myself I have 3 fish tanks which equals to 725 gallons in my apartment but I'm on the mainfloor which has a concrete base and no problems here. My biggest tank is a 450 gallon glass tank which weighs close to a 1000 lbs dry and with water would be close to 5000 lbs. If you live on the second or higher floor in a apartment I wouldn't even attempt to go any bigger then a 135 gallon unless your apartment has a concrete structure.

·
Registered
743 Posts
take a look at a catch basin for under the tank. Kind of like a box with a pond liner to hold spills. I am trying to design one for my 180 gallon before I set it up.
In regards to the weight. as long as it is spread over the joists at a perpendicular angle it should be fine. when you go parallel with the joists the weight is not as well distributed and the joists flex easier.
I work in trades and have talked to several builders (though have not talked to an engineer)
I doubled up on several of my joists while renovating in anticipation of adding a monster tank but most people have told me this is overkill.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I work in trades and have talked to several builders (though have not talked to an engineer)
A builder/contractor/framer/carpenter really isn't qualified to make a call like that. They build to code (many have problems doing that even) and that is it.

4000 lbs ish spread over maybe 6 to 8 floor joists, I would be concerned.

You could consider going into the crawlspace and build a reinforced area around the tank and put some mini posts in and transfer the weight directly down onto a mini slab or something to that effect.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
depending on the material used for your floor joist.
a floor framed at 16" with 2x10 joist with 5/8s T&G plywood could hold up an elaphant or 2.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your landlord's right... 300 gallons of water flooding a house would be a DISASTER!! Thankfully total tank failures are extremely rare. Although they do happen enough that insurance companies take note of them. More likely are aggravating, slow seeping leaks.

Here's a little info on tanks of the size you are talking about:
Length-72.00 in.
Width-24.00 in.
Height-36.00 in.
Wall-thickness-0.79 in.
Volume-269.30 gal (US)
Tank Material Weight-661.02 lb
Water Volume-259.81 gal (US)
Water Weight-2161.96 lb
Substrate-Small Diameter Rocks
Average Substrate Depth 2 in.
Substrate Weight-184.06 lb
Approximate Total Weight-3007.04 lb

Check the structure of the floor you are going to put the tank on. You may need to take that into account.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks everyone for all this info. Im going to give this some more thought. Because I live in rancher with only a crawlspace, i think im going to take a look under the house over the weekend to see what im dealing with. Ill keep you all posted!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts