British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, as many of you have seen I had some Angels breeding in my community tank. Unfortunately that tank also houses other Angels as well as barbs and the fry quickly became food for the rest of the community. I have just purchased a bowfront tank that I have set up as a breeder tank for the two paired angels.

I have decided to go with eco-complete for the substrate because I had a tub full of it just sitting here un-used. Plus I will be planting the tank eventually so that's a good place to start.

The tank came with an AC30 HOB and a 50w heater that i have replaced with a 250 w from another tank (not to make it hotter, but the 250 has better temp control) It also came with a standard 15w single bulb (8000k) which will have to be upgraded before i try to plant it.

First think i did was find a place for the tank... now it did not come with a stand, but I had my old tool box sitting around which seems to make not a perfect stand, but a pretty cool looking one!

I needed to do a water change on the 77 tank so i just siphoned the water directly into the 26 to try to keep the water parameters as close as possible so that the pair continue to breed in their new home.

On the advice of Rick at IPU i boiled the old media from the filter before cycling the tank. I then added 2 capfuls of stability and will continue to add 1 capful a day for the next week as per the bottles instructions. The tank is very basic and plain right now, but i wanted to make sure the Angels were in there before they decided to lay eggs again.

I have already gotten a package of first bites in preparation for the fry.
Now previously the Angels have laid their eggs on a leaf from my aponogeton plant. Will they lay on any flat surface like the walls of the tank or will i have to provide a place for them???

Thank you for looking.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I'd transfer some substrate or media from the original tank to accelerate the cycle. I am not entirely sold on the Stability thing. I'd check the ammonia levels regularly and do water changes as necessary. Otherwise, it's looking good.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
I'd transfer some substrate or media from the original tank to accelerate the cycle. I am not entirely sold on the Stability thing. I'd check the ammonia levels regularly and do water changes as necessary. Otherwise, it's looking good.
Hello Mike.

I'd have to agree with Gary on this one (although I have used Stability before with good results). It is especially helpful in re-setting the good bacteria load when experiencing a rogue bacteria outbreak). I would suggest getting a plastic amazon swordplant and or a piece of slate so the angels don't decided to lay eggs on the heater (a very common occurence).

Good luck on the rearing project!

Best regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the advice... i will be checking my ammonia levels, (i guess i actually have to get a tester now!)
And i will find something suitable for them to lay eggs on. I don't think a plant will work due to the low lighting on the tank right now... guess i'll have to keep my eyes open for yet another glo fixture and plant this tank properly

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally i've got some eggs

So i came home from work today and fed my tanks like I always do when i noticed a very welcome sight... The Angle pair that I moved to the breeding tank has just spawned another batch of eggs, this time almost covering two Java Fern Leaves (thank you 2wheelsx2 for suggesting Java Fern). Now it's time to find out if i can keep these guys healthy right up to maturity! From the looks of the eggs they are fresh today, I'll look again in the morning to see how many get fertilized. This pairs last batch only missed 4 eggs.

Here's the early pics.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Hey Mike congrats on the spawn, now that there in there own tank they will be very attentive to the eggs. Don't be surprized if they move them around. Cheers Laurie

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Mike congrats on the spawn, now that there in there own tank they will be very attentive to the eggs. Don't be surprized if they move them around. Cheers Laurie
Thanks bud, i have noticed in my other tank the Angels moving their eggs from place to place... thought it was pretty neat how they would rearrange everything like that

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the fry have now released their egg sacks and are swimming free! I gave them their first feeding of "First Bites" today. There was definitely some loss as there aren't nearly as many fry as there were eggs, but that is to be expected. Both parents are still nurturing their fry and actively "herding" them all together. Very need to see the male collect all the babies in his mouth and spit them out where he chooses.
Here are a few shots from this morning. Sorry about the horrible quality of the shots...it is very difficult to get a clear shot of fry with an iPhone.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Aaaaawww they are so cute, reminds me of my angels :keep those pics coming :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.