British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, figured I might as well start one of these, seeing as I'm upgrading the current community tank :)

Purchased a 33G tank & stand, 200w heater, 36" T5HO Light, and a Koralia circulation pump, all from members of this site (Thank You:))
Tweaked the stand a little after I got it (was blue with no shelves), added a shelf with some backing, painted it black.
Modified the legs for the light so it sits 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" above the rim of the tank (angled forward)
33g tank&stand.jpg
1748resized.jpg

A brief history of the current tank (15G);
Originally set up as a dwarf shrimp, cpo, guppy breeding tank. That quickly changed as I decided to change it to a community tank (something I haven't done before, didn't think I would either), after seeing some Sewellia Lineolata Hillstream Loaches at my lfs. Over the past 6 months it has transformed into a vibrant, active, peaceful community of fish and shrimp (and plants), that I couldn't be happier with. Now the tank is too small as everyone has grown up, so, upgrade time :)
Stock List;
3 Gold-Lined Loach (Sewellia Lineolata)
3 Lampeye Killi (Unsure)
3 Flower Shrimp (Atyopsis Moluccensis)
4 Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata)
5 Anchor Catfish (Hara Jerdoni)
8 Orange Sunkist Shrimp (Caridina Propinqua)
9 Marble Hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata)
30+- Dwarf Blue Shrimp (Neocaridina?)
Plants I only know half the names;
1 Anubias Coffeefolia
4 Ludwigia Ovalus
1 Moss Ball
2 Types plants unknown names
And Short Hair Algae

I will update with photos as I move everything over :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like the light cleaned up nicely
It did, just a little vinegar, and flipped the bulbs around. Brightened up a little bit after :)
Also checked the wiring - nothing leached past the seals. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added 20 Gallons water yesterday (7G Cycled Tank Water, 13G Fresh, Buffered Water), 2 cycled sponge filters, temporary heater, airstones. Ran electrical to stand, ran some airline tubing, fitted the glass top, added light and set timer. Added one piece of floating driftwood (also from a site member).
Coming along nicely :)
Will be adding 5 Gallons from the 15G tank over the next couple days (will use wc water), then test parameters. If the 15G & 33G are very similar, if not the same, then I will start moving fish over.

33G tank&standwwater.jpg
33G top.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think that is my old tank and stand. You must have got it off Jasonator, I traded it to him a couple years ago. I built the stand around 1998, basic 2x4 construction, but it sure has got alot of use! I really like what you did with it. Looks great!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, Tank & Stand from Jasonator, said it was from you :) I figured the stand was old - didn't think 14 years though :p
The reason I wanted that stand was because of the 2x4 construction - easily adaptable :)
Thanks, I really like how it turned out.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
looking good already, cant wait for more pictures. Love how you are using tank water and cycled sponge to syle the tank. Did nto know the sponge filter can go sideway liek that.
Like the drift wood, too. Awesome!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks! The sideways sponge filter is actually wrapped around the Koralia circulation pump :p (don't want any dwarf shrimps getting shredded) Doesn't filter as well as being air driven though.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got new bulbs today - Light comparison pics :)
Both photos taken with no ambient room light or flash, same setting on camera.

2x 6500k sunblaster t5ho bulbs
2x 6500k bulbs.jpg

1x 6700k (front) 1x 18000k hagen glo t5ho bulbs
1x 6700k 1x 18000k bulb.jpg

Also added 5 Gallons (2.5G from 15G, 2.5G Fresh, Buffered) water.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Noticed yesterday the larger internal filter in the 15G quit.....
Stepped up the timetable on moving everyone over.
Added another 2.5G tank water from the 15G, switched out one airstone, replaced the temp heater with the 200w.
Tested water parameters on the 33G;
pH 7.0
GH 7.8d/140mg/L
KH 2.8d/50mg/L
NH3 0mg/L
No2 0mg/L
No3 5mg/L
Temp at 78Deg F

Moved the 9 Marble Hatchets and 3 Lampeye Killies over (only 2 hatchets were brave enough to jump out of the container as I was moving them - they both landed in the tank though:)), and another 1.5G tank water.

I will be moving some gravel over next, then deciding on which order to move over the rest of the species.

18Dec2012-450pm.jpg

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
I have never thought of or seen a spinge filter wrapped around a wave maker, I really think it is a good idea as it offers a more gentle and spread out current with filtration. Good idea!
I like how you have systematically moved things over to speed up the cycling process. This also helps the fish to feel less stress without having to move everything at the same time and risk a high bio load in a new tank. Great job!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! I got the idea right after I got the pump - similar diameter to the sponge filter frame.
I am trying to make it less stressful on them (and me:)) by spreading out the move over several days. It also gives me some time to decide on the scape of the new tank. I am also modifying an internal filter and building a slanted slate "cave" for the tank - will need to wait for the silicone to cure.
I just need to be patient :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Vacuumed a section of gravel in the 15G, sifted for trumpet snails, then added 3, half litre cups to the 33G. Then moved some small plants, one rock, and the moss ball over.
I put the gravel in a small "island" for now, just so the plants have something to sit in. The fish are definitely happier with ground under them :)
Transferred the 5 Anchor Catfish from the 15G to the 33G (one was moved over on my fingers:)). The 3 Gold-Lined Loaches were about as difficult as I though they would be. Caught the male after trying for five minutes. The 2 females took over ten minutes each to catch. (spent ten minutes chasing them, took a fifteen minute break, caught both in under one minute each)
That's all the fish out of the 15G, just shrimps left to move over.

Turned the light on,
just to get a picture :eek:
33G-19Dec2012-939pm.jpg

Hatchets & Killies on "the island" :)
19Dec2012-923pm.jpg 19Dec2012-924pm.jpg

2 Anchor Cats under an airstone
19Dec2012-940pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Larger female Loach "Lily"
Lily-19Dec2012-924pm.jpg
Smaller female Loach "Maya"
Maya-19Dec2012-940pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Added some more vacuumed, sifted gravel today (10 - 1/2 Litre cups)
Moved the Anubias over, started to scape the left side of the tank, solidified my ideas as to the entire tank scape (for now....)
Added some Flourish to the tank (4mL)
Decided to move over the healthy Orange Shrimps, was only able to catch 2 (largest berried females:)) Grabbed my favourite female Blue Shrimp (recently berried), and one fry while I was chasing oranges :)
Started sticking large rocks together with silicone. Once done my slanted slate "cave" will measure overall; 8" wide, 13" deep, 10" tall, slate "cave" section is 8" deep (will upload photos when done), definitely going to be the centerpiece to the tank :)
Assembled my modified internal filter, looks good, :), just need to finish the rock sculpture before I put it in.

As of 4:29pm
33G-20Dec2012-429pm.jpg

Female Blue
BerriedF-20Dec2012-422pm.jpg

Female Orange
BerriedF-20Dec2012-428pm.jpg

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hillstream loaches! I haven't seen those in a while, I applaud your taste in fish. Your tank is looking pretty good, too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Looking good =)
Keep up the good work.
Hillstream loaches! I haven't seen those in a while, I applaud your taste in fish. Your tank is looking pretty good, too.
----Thanks!:)

Tested water parameters;
pH 7.0
NH3 0mg/L
No2 0.1mg/L
No3 10mg/L
Temp 78F

Small water change tomorrow, also lowering water level.
Decided not to add any more gravel today, will wait for a few days.
Caught the 2 Male Orange Shrimp and moved them over.
Seems I am missing one female, down to 4 Orange Shrimp altogether.
Moved the 3 Flower Shrimp over as well.
Added another airstone (the Loaches were giving me "the look")
Looks pretty much the same, uploaded another photo anyways :)

4:35pm
33G-21Dec2012-435pm.jpg

Orange Shrimp acclimating
Males-21Dec2012-1125am.jpg

Flower Shrimp acclimating
All3-21Dec2012-1051am.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done moving shrimps over I think.
Decided on not moving over the amano shrimp, I think they've been eating the killi eggs in the tank :mad: They are also too aggressive for the tank (noticing now that everyone except the amano's have been moved over).
Everyone seems more active and sociable now (could just be the larger tank space though :)).

Current stock list;

2 Blue Shrimp (Neocaridina?)
3 Lampeye Killi (Unsure)
3 Gold Lined Loach (Sewellia Lineolata)
3 Flower Shrimp (Atyopsis Moluccensis)
4 Orange Sunkist Shrimp (Caridina Propinqua)
5 Anchor Catfish (Hara Jerdoni)
9 Marble Hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata)
Plants so far;
1 Anubias Coffeefolia
1 Moss Ball
2 Types Unknown Plants

1 - 20 of 162 Posts