Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Today, during and after wc;
33G-6April-955pm.jpg 33G-6April-1045pm.jpg

Female Orange shrimp
5April2013-944am.jpg

Male Clown Killi
(Camera didn't focus on him, I still like how it turned out though :))
5April2013-914am.jpg

"Tiger" (banded dwarf loach)
She finally let me take her picture :D
5April2013-915am.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
15G;
Decided to release Munchkin and the largest female into the tank on sunday, the smaller two are big enough now, and Munchkin was looking kinda weak anyway. Today he's looking much better. There has been some displaying and claw snipping between the males, nothing severe.
Monday tested pH: 7.5+/8.0-, did a 45%ish wc (5G out - 6.5G in pH7.0), cleaned filters, added 6mL Flourish.
Thinned out the floating plants, put the "trimmings" in the breeder net for now.
Finally got a pic of the male guppy with the metallic "x"
8April2013-1004am.jpg
8April2013-937am.jpg

33G;
Monday tested;
pH 7.0
No3 20-mg/L
Temp 78F
Added 2mL Flourish, spotted a killi egg on the filter foam :)

Tuesday did a 20%ish wc (5.5G out/in pH6.5), added 8mL Flourish. Replaced the heater (200w ThermalCompact PreSet) with the new 150w Eheim Jager I recently got. Left it overnight in the wc bucket to make sure it was set to 76F. Tank temp was at 78F before the wc, after it went down to 77F on the right side, 76.5F on the left side, now its at 76F(rs) 75.5F(ls).
The killi egg has turned white :(
Trimmed the single stem Hygro, removed 8 leaves, all curly. The Riccia rock is going bald where the leaves were blocking the light :( some of it is growing though :) I am now going to add Flourish daily, at 2-3mL, rather than 4mL every 2 days. I am still learning this tanks needs, I feel that I'm close, though still a ways away. (need to save up for the external filter, electrical and plumbing...)
I am considering adding a second dual t5ho fixture, and using two different kinds of bulbs, to give me a more complete spectrum, though that may be too much light...

The Vampires are colouring up very nicely, the former blue one now has some very neat marbled patterning going on, with some gold-flake accents :p the former white one is less colourful, though very similar patterning.

One of the OEBT's is now mostly red striped with an orange tail, body colour has lightened up quite a bit. Queenie is still a dark blue, I think all four are just saddled and waiting... all I need is a couple male OEBT's...

Haven't seen any Blue Pearl fry since they were hatching, didn't spot any on the filter foam while cleaning either. Another couple weeks will tell me if any survived...

Lots of Pics :);

Killi egg
9April2013-924am.jpg

OEBT
7April2013-1248pm.jpg 9April2013-1012am.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
15G;
Blue Shrimp
8April2013-918am.jpg 8April2013-919am.jpg

33G;
Queenie
Queenie-9April2013-256pm.jpg

Vampire
9April2013-1010am.jpg 9April2013-1011am.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Anchor Cats
8April2013-1143am.jpg 9April2013-922am.jpg

Lily
9April2013-923am.jpg

School in session :p
8April2013-932am.jpg 8April2013-934am.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
New Heater
9April2013-211pm.jpg 9April2013-212pm.jpg 9April2013-213pm.jpg

Airline/Electrical entry on tank back
9April2013-122pm.jpg 9April2013-123pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Tank;
Sunday
33G-7April2013-1023am.jpg
Tuesday
33G-9April2013-217pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
15G;
This morning, shortly after I woke up, I found Munchkin in the cave on his side, eyes clouded over :( RIP little buddy, had an awesome 10-1/2 months with you... He was the first aquatic creature I have had from birth till death, I was just hoping he would live longer, though he went through alot in his lifetime.
I also found a molt for the larger female in the cave aswell.
Did a 32%ish wc today (5G out/in pH8.0-), vacuumed gravel, cleaned filters, thinned out more floating plants, added 5mL Flourish.
Temp went up to 82F in the afternoon... Back down to 78F after the wc.

33G;
The riccia rock now has a much larger bald patch on it, the shrimps seem to be doing a good job of dislodging the riccia from the netting, also the hygro is casting a decent amount of shade over it. I think I will redo it with a smaller rock, and reposition it in a better lit spot.
Got a good photo of one of the OEBT's, looks like she is well ready for a male, I still haven't found any yet... :( Photos will be posted later.
I also split the two lights onto their own timers, and upped the photo period to 9 hours. I will leave it for two days, and up it to 10 hours if the plants are doing better. I am also looking into getting a different light fixture for the tank.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Can I say that you have the most mix bagged stocking I have probably ever seen, must be fun seeing the diverse population!
Yes you can ;) That was the idea when I decided to do a community vs a species tank, if I'm gonna put a bunch of species together, I might as well make it diverse. And rather than doing a biotope of species from a certain area, I just went with species that were similar sizing, and hopefully all get along, which they have been :)
It is very fun, and interesting, watching the different species interact. Anytime I added a new species was the time to watch, as they staked out their "spot", and did the round of hello's.
I have no set "feeding time", as some species are nocturnal eaters, others are daytime eaters, so I have a nice weekly cycle of several different types of foods, they eat better than I do :p
I am actually thinking of adding one more species, though I haven't seen any around since last year....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sorry to hear about munchkin... I love the anchor cats they look so cool. I did the same thing with my 120... I was going to do a biotope but then I just started finding deals and adding fish lol.

What other species are you looking for?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Sorry to hear about munchkin...
I love the anchor cats they look so cool.
I did the same thing with my 120... I was going to do a biotope but then I just started finding deals and adding fish lol.
What other species are you looking for?
Thank you, I was hoping he would live for 12 months, he got close though. He did live longer than his parents...

The anchor cats were one of the first additions to the original tank, very interesting behaviour from them. They are nocturnal, though if I feed frozen bloodworms during the day, they will wake up to eat... I've also seen them playing in the current from the powerheads, and swimming against the front glass, going side-to-side, top-to-bottom. Quite funny to watch, especially when all five of them are doing it, bumping into each other :lol:

My original "idea" for the first tank was going to be one or two species of fish, two species of shrimp, and plants. That changed as soon as I saw the hillstream loaches, I then played around with the idea of a hillstream tank setup. I eventually settled on what the "new" tank is now, a "swampwater" mix of different species/environments. Unfortunately I didn't go for the deals, I just went for dwarf species that interested me. My wallet hates me for it :rolleyes: I just have to remind myself, I am already past the stock limit for the tank....

The one other species I am considering adding, is a species I had in my invert only tank last year. They didn't survive more than two months, after months of trying to figure out what I may have done wrong, I came to the conclusion that the tank was not the correct parameter setup for them. It was a hard-water (pH 8.0, 15-20 GH/KH, 74F) 5G newly setup tank with only two plants. The 33G is much more suited to their needs for parameters (pH 7.0, 5.6/2.8 GH/KH, 76F) mature setup (kind-of) and somewhat "heavily" planted (compared to my own previous tanks), as they do prefer softer water and heavy plant cover. The only possible issue is the current in the tank, they do prefer low to no current setups.
They are; "Thai Micro Crab (Limnopilos Naiyanetri)", very very interesting inverts, I even managed to get a pair that bred, unfortunately no zoas survived due to the tank crashing at the time :( Although I do know how to sex them now, when I find some that is...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
(Pic heavy/Text light update)

15G;
Do not want to "jinx" anything, though I saw the male cray mating with the largest female the other day, she has been in a cave since... I can't see if she has berried yet... The smaller female is in the larger cave, no berries yet, I think she still has one more molt to go before she can.

Added one more female guppy to breed with the metallic male, starting to get overrun with fry in the other tanks... :rolleyes:

Cray photos;
14April2013-934am.jpg 14April2013-355pm.jpg 14April2013-356pm.jpg 14April2013-357pm.jpg 14April2013-359pm.jpg

33G;
I have been adding 2-3mL Flourish daily, also changed to 9 hours of light, not much improvement with the plants. I'm sure they will take off once I upgrade the light fixture though...
Did a 25% wc monday (6G out/in pH6.5), added 8mL Flourish.
Spotted a Blue Pearl fry on the filter foam :) a very nice deep blue colour, and orangey eyes, had me thinking it was an OEBT fry for a couple seconds :p
The OEBT's are looking mighty fine, so are the rest of the inhabitants actually :bigsmile:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
OEBT's
14April2013-401pm.jpg 14April2013-402pm.jpg
15April2013-1112am.jpg 15April2013-1113am.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Blue Pearl Fry
15April2013-515pm.jpg
15April2013-516pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
15G;
Yesterday morning, shortly after the last post, the smaller female cray molted :) The larger female moved into the cave the smaller one was in, she is definitely berried :bigsmile: Counting 2 weeks +/- 4 days from now until little crays are running around, I will have to remove the guppies before then... don't want them picking on the babies...
I am very excited, it's been about 8 months since I've had a berried female cpo.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
A much overdue update, been busy switching parameters on the 10G in preparation for some new arrivals...

15G;
Did a 32%ish wc just after midnight monday morning (5G out/in pH7.0), vacuumed left side, added 8mL Flourish.
Added two pieces of Echinodorus Aflame to the tank, very nice looking plant.
Got an ok pic of the berried cray :) Looks like the other one may be berried aswell...
Should probably be writing more...

Picture time :)
Berried female
21April2013-1235pm.jpg 21April2013-1236pm.jpg
Echinodorus Aflame
22April2013-303am.jpg 22April2013-349am.jpg 22April2013-350am.jpg

33G;
Got a couple things for the tank on saturday, from Charles & Pat @ Canadian Aquatics (Thanks Again :))
New light (Odyssea 3x39w T5HO), New Plant (Echinodorus AFlame), and a Daphnia culture (to split between four tanks)
Left the plant in the sealed container it came in overnight, floating in the tank. It is only the second red-leaf plant I will have tried recently, hopefully it doesn't melt away like the tiger lotus did in the 15G.

Did a 25% wc saturday night (6G out/in pH6.5), added 12.5mL Flourish (New Bottle). The new bottle of Flourish has a different colour to it than the old one, not sure if they changed or diluted their mix :confused:

Mucked around with the stand legs for a bit (I couldn't open the top when it was directly on the glass), had to install them backwards so I could open the top for feeding/testing, without removing the light. It is quite a bit larger than the previous one :rolleyes: I still need to remove it to do water changes though. Set it for 10 hours total (single bulb for 10 hours, all three for 5 hours). It is very bright compared to the old dual t5 fixture, lots of light getting down to the substrate. The plants should have an easier time growing in this tank now.
I had it setup with one LifeGlo 6700k, and two PowerGlo 18000k bulbs, though I thought there was too much purpley colour when all three were on. I was able to find a Coralife 10000k t5ho, I switched out one of the powerglo bulbs for it. The three types together have a nice mix of colour.

Didn't see any daphnia sunday morning...

Opened the plant container on sunday, WOW, there was a lot of plant in that little container. After delicately seperating the roots, there was ten pieces total (five were small offshoots, four were small plants, one was a mid-size plant) much more than I thought I would be getting :) I decided to split the pieces between three tanks, acclimated to each tanks water first of course.

Replaced the riccia rock with a smaller one, in order to make space for the new plant. It was also getting picked apart too much by the shrimps. Next step is to chop the top off the giant hygro, since it has now reached the surface, and is blocking too much light from the ground plants.

Lots of pics...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Echinodorus Aflame
20April2013-446pm.jpg
21April2013-322pm.jpg 21April2013-323pm.jpg
21April2013-454pm.jpg 21April2013-519pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
21April2013-521pm.jpg
Riccia Rock
21April2013-337pm.jpg
Vampire
21April2013-1103am.jpg 21April2013-1104am.jpg
OEBT
23April2013-324pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Metallic "x" male guppy, not much of an x anymore...
23April2013-242pm.jpg
Daphnia close-ups :) They kinda look like cycloptic reindeer :rolleyes:
20April2013-702pm.jpg 20April2013-744pm.jpg
20April2013-1122pm.jpg 20April2013-1123pm.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
20April2013-1128pm.jpg 20April2013-1129pm.jpg 20April2013-1130pm.jpg
Blue Pearl Fry
23April2013-309pm.jpg

141 - 160 of 162 Posts