British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering setting up my 33G long (48x12x12). I'll have it lightly planted (mostly anubias) but I'd like enough flow across the whole length. I'm looking at Eheim filters. Maybe the 2026 or 2028. Any strong opinions between the 2? Other suggestions welcome.

I read complaints about the tubing not being very flexible with Eheims. Especially for shallow tanks. Anyone ran into trouble with that?

By the way, someone posted a link to a nice canister filter chart with flow rates and other data some time ago. Can't find it any more. Anyone knows where that is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a 33g long and the 2028 has WAY too much flow. It blows all my substrate and makes it all uneven. With my 2026 flow is less but I still find that my substrate goes everywhere. If you can mod it to have two outflows you'd have much more success than me.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you are using a sponge on the intake side and the filter itself have a controller on how much ever you want flow wise. I have a 2026 running on my 22g rimless and it works fine, also i have ecco 2234 which is rated to 60g in my 10g tank LOL.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll go with the 2026 then.

So no bad experiences with the tubing? Does the stock kit provide enough flexibility? Although I guess I can always figure that out once it's up and buy extension kits later if necessary...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Just make sure that you get the grey spray bar/intake tube installation kits 1 & 2 with your package. The standard green intake one will be too long.

The tubing are stiff and the ball valves connecting to the canister are fixed, not like the old classics or eccos that can swivel, so you will lose some flexibility as to hose placement.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You can always use your tub, fill it with hot/warm water enough to submerge your tubing and shape it or straighten it the way you want.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can always use your tub, fill it with hot/warm water enough to submerge your tubing and shape it or straighten it the way you want.
Oh really? You've done that with Eheim tubing specifically? No risk of cracking them?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Oh really? You've done that with Eheim tubing specifically? No risk of cracking them?
I think he's talking about just the regular flex tubing. Not the hard pipe. The heat does a good job of making the tubing pliable...otherwise sometimes the tubing is very uncooperative.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think he's talking about just the regular flex tubing. Not the hard pipe. The heat does a good job of making the tubing pliable...otherwise sometimes the tubing is very uncooperative.
Ok, yes that would make sense. So how about the hard tubing, is it a bad idea to try and cut it with a saw if it's too long, or would that crack it? The good deals I see on the 2026 have the media pack but not the extension kits 1 & 2 with them...

·
Registered
70 Posts
By the way, someone posted a link to a nice canister filter chart with flow rates and other data some time ago. Can't find it any more. Anyone knows where that is?

Thanks.
I believe this is the one from the old site:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=59

I am trying to make the exact same decision as you for my 33 gallon long! I have been trying to decide between the 2234 vs 2236 vs 2026 vs 2028. So many to choose from and I am not very familiar with the Eheim line of filters. I like the idea of the swivelling intake/output hose attachments on the Ecco line but I want to make sure that the rigid tubing will fit in the tank...it sounds like the spray bar attachment is a must. Let me know what you decide and how it works out for you!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great, thanks for the link. Yes, that was the one.

Good to know I'm not alone! One thing is I can't find the Eheim packages with install kits anywhere. Both J&L and Big Al's have good prices on the 2026 (although J&L has in on back order), but it's "only" the media pack - no install kits. And they are out of stock for the intake kit.

But you know, I'm not so sure it's a must. I'm wondering whether we can't cut the hard-plastic tubing. I asked the question higher up in this thread but no answer. If it's doable then that would work for me. So let's ask the question again: anyone has done that? :D

Or maybe get the spray bar kit and just put the intake sideways. Would that work?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did see it, yes, and it's not that much more expensive actually. I read quite a few comments saying that the Pro 3 series is not as quiet as the Pro 2 though. And the 2075 has more flow, so I thought it would be overkill. But maybe not, especially if it has a flow control valve, which I'm guessing it has...

There you go. One more candidate on the list. :D

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reason I'm suggesting that, is I'm hoping for an improvement over the Pro II's. In 5 years of use, I've already had 2 failures: main gasket leaked last year and the inlet/outlet adapter cracked last month. Both known problems.
Hummm.. yes, good point. Nobody has had a Pro 3 for a few years though so who knows. But I see what you mean, yes.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm looking at the chart on the link above, and it appears that the Pro 3 are much more efficient in terms of power consumption. The 2075 would be overkill for me, but both the 2071 and the 2073 are rated at 12 Watts, which is half of the 2026! I'm a bit of a green freak and I already feel uncomfortable with the power my tanks consume, so that might do it for me.

Anyone knows if the Pro 3 come with the same stock tubing as the Pro 2? In other words, would I still need the install kits with a Pro 3?

Thanks.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
2026 was almost too much for my 55 gallon lol. Just buy tons of extra tubing, then you can make the pressure up or down depending on how you find it :0

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correction from my previous post here. The petsolutions chart is actually wrong on the power consumption for the Pro III series. According to Eheim (http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?id=32947) the 2071 is indeed 12W, but the 2073 is in fact 16W, and so is the 2075.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts