British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody!

Thanks to certain individuals that pushed me to get one (cough cough Seahorse_Fanatic and O.C.D Fishies!!!!!), I have decided to start a saltwater. It has a Current USA 150 Watt metal halide, Euro-Reef Nano Solana, and a Hydor Koralia 2. Slowly but surely, the system will get set up. I will try and take photos and make updates throughout the process.

I would like to say many thanks to Seahorse_Fanatic for all the helpful information, time, and of course all the stuff to get me started!!!

This is going to be quite a journey.

George.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks awesome especially in my house. lol By the way I see Mr. Nico Pico trying to sleep through that bright light.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looks like you are starting off on the right foot, Welcome to BCAquaria.
LOL I figured that was O.C.D.'s Ferret

Steve

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Looks awesome especially in my house. lol By the way I see Mr. Nico Pico trying to sleep through that bright light.
And i think i c babys butt on the couch lol Finally the tank is home wooohhhoooo for Jorge lol

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
You're welcome (cough, cough).

If you remember correctly, she contacted me about going salty first;) I just happened to have a system that I picked up for my friend who then changed his mind.

With this system, you should be able to get your feet "wet" on the dark side of the addiction. Just remember, set aside a monthly budget and try to stick with it. I've never been able to, but I know you can;)

Anthony

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey guys thought I would up-date this thread. Tank is finished cycling, just trying to decide on what to put in it first. I want Corals but George wants a creature of some sort. Maybe we better just get 2 Nemos first lol. Have a few algae issues right now the one on the sand and some green bubble algae, anyone know what works to get rid of this stuff? Here is the tank

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
A small clean up crew will do the job.

A couple of different types of snails, couple of blue legged or red legged hermits will help, maybe a conch for the sandbed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
GRRRRRRRRRR This skimmer drives us crazy getting it to the right hight, but then with 2 or 3 liters evaporation a day it is messed again. Almost flooded the dining area today. Will an auto top off help with keeping the water level and keep the skimmer going good, so it doesn't need to be adjusted every few hours?

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Yes, an auto-topoff would. I'm surprised you have this much evaporation with a full glass lid on. My wife's cube evaporates very, very little.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well thanks to the guys at J & L we have put in a clean up crew. 3 blue legged hermits, they are so teny tiny. 2 margarita snails, they do an awesome job on the glass. 2 Cerith Snail, they seem to hang on the rocks. George also bough a new light bulb, hopefully this is going to help with the algae problem. Still having troubles with the stupid skimmer. I may throw the stupid thing out the window but we will see. Sorry guys no pics as they are eny tiny and my camera sucks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That's a pretty cool little tank. Maybe some day I can turn my 100 gallon cube into a mini-reef.
Ummmm Gary I am not so sure that 100 gallons is considered a mini reef. lol. It has been fun and nothing like seeing all the creatures come out of the live rock, as well as all the million bristle worms we have lol.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well thought it is about time for an update since it has been over a year. Just pics for now though as I am lazy ;P

·
Registered
773 Posts
Since I have not been on here for a long time, I thought I would update this thread
The salty has been giving us a lot of grief for about 6 months. Since then we have lost
all the bristle worms, brittle stars, hermit crabs, snails, blue clove corals, waving hand
corals, and other soft corals. The phosphates are on the high side and the tank is covered
in algae. Tried weekly water changes, nothing. Then tried phosphate remover, nothing. Bought
a new light bulb (Giesman cause Stu swears by them), then a new light, nothing. Got 2 new
power-heads to have on each side of the tank, still nothing. About 2 weeks ago we manually removed most of the green algae and now its back. Just about ready
to get rid of it. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
wow! sorry to hear that !!

how are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Have you tested your water for phosphate as well? the problem with nano tanks are that a lot of people don't keep up with their water changes and over feeding leading to lots of waste in the tank and phosphates. Also because nano tanks are too small for algae eating fishes such as angels or tangs.

as for your green hair algae. I would make sure you water paramaters are all 0. Then buy a bunch of hermits and snails. Turn off the lights for a few weeks, keep on running phosphate reactor/remover. Let the clean up crew do its job, and absolute zero lights to starve the algae. Even put a blanket/cloak over the tank from any unwanted light.

It looks like you got a bad case of Cyano as well. Try using this Boyd Chemi-Clean - 2 Gram (Treats 300 Gallons) my friend used it with great results. Its reef safe.

I know your mushrooms might die through out this process, maybe re locate them to a LFS or a friend's tank.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad news! That sucks!

I love nano tanks but after 6 years of fish keeping, I still don't have the guts to set up one (FW or SW). Due to the small volumn of water, even little changes can make a big impact on water parameters. It's extremely challenging n should only be attempted by experienced hobbyists... so you shouldn't feel so bad about it.

You have done well keeping it alive for so long!

·
Registered
773 Posts
So I am thinking we might just have to splurge and get an RO/DI unit as we have had high phosphates for the entirety of the tank. They maybe in the tap water, even though Dave says no. This would explain why when we were doing weekly water changes for 2 months it did nothing to correct the problem. I am hesitant to add a clean up crew as they just seem to die on me and I'm not a fan of killing them even if it is only a crab or snail.
How often do you guys/gals feed your fish? All we have is 2 clowns in there right now. I have read that feeding frozen food is less likely to cause phosphates and nitrates in the tank as well.
I didn't realize that the red stuff is actually cyano, we have had that the whole time we've had the tank. I forgot the name of the stuff we are using to get rid of the phosphates but it is a red grainy stuff that dies the water.
The quest for a beautiful tank continues, to bad I love Marley and Skittles to much to give up on it.
Thanks for your guys help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts