British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
January 8, 2019

Haven't posted an update in awhile, so thought it was time. First update of 2019!

Left side of the tank, with the Anubias, Buce and Java Moss slowly growing in, Rotala Vietnam looking OK, and the Staurogyne carpet thickening up:

I'm pretty happy with how the AR red mini is growing in as well. Have at least 10 solid stems, with another 10 or so bases that i had trimmed from regrowing some fresh shoots:

The Marsilea took awhile to get acclimated, but its finally starting to grow fresh shoots and spread, and I spent some time trimming off most of the dead tissue and algae-covered leaves. The hair grass is still plugging slowly along. Wish it would spread a little quicker, but can't complain with low tech.

Shot of the right side, pretty happy with how it's looking after giving the R walichii a trim and hacking the star grass down a ton. Just have to wait for it to grow back in again.

And finally, an updated FTS. Thanks for reading. :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Very nice carpet. Pretty impressive for low tech. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tredford8

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very nice carpet. Pretty impressive for low tech. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! The carpet is coming along slowly, but overall I'm happy with how everything has turned out in comparison to the relatively minimal amount of work I've put in.

Also, I figured I'd post what I do for ferts in case anyone is interested. I do a weekly water change of approximately 25%, and then add a capful of the Flourish Trace right after, and then one capful again mid-way-ish between water changes. I also add a capful of Excel every morning on weekdays, but don't add any on weekends, as the tank is at work and I'm too lazy to go into the office when I'm not working. :) If I'm away for a conference or away on vacation, I have a buddy at work that adds pre-measured and labeled cups in, but only a couple times a week, so it gets less Excel during those periods, but that is only a couple times a year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
February 4, 2019

Tank has now been running for 6 months! A few changes along the way, so thought I would add a little more to the update this time.

Fish are still doing relatively well, have lost 2 otos and 4 C sterna over the past 2 months or so, but the rest look healthy and happy. The female GBR's have occasional showdowns with each other, but they don't last long and they are able to retreat and hide as necessary. A couple of the bossier ones actually spar with the male A cacatuoides on occasion, which is entertaining, but he seems to hold his own.

Plants have steadily growing and I have shifted a few around while adding a couple more species. I was going to chuck the Rotala vietnam, but it started to look a little better after I moved it to a higher light area. I have added a Lagenandra meeboldi and some Hygrophila araguaia over the past couple weeks and they are both starting to get new leaves. I also have cleared a spot in the back left corner for some Hydrocotyle tripartita but am still on the lookout for that at any of the LFS's in the Fraser Valley.

Now on to some pictures!! :)

I was messing around with a couple of pics from above the tank angle as I really like when people post those, but I don't think mine hold up all that well, hahaha:

I'm pretty stoked about how well my AR red mini is doing:

Here's a shot of the Buce/Anubias driftwood, with the new H araguaia behind it, and the empty spot of substrate where the H tripartita is going to go. :)

End-on shot of the tank:

Right Side of tank:

Left Side:

and FTS:

Thanks for looking. Happy 6 months for this tank. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
looks good. I especially like that you have taken care to try and hide equipment - I've switched to exclusively using hydor inline heaters with any tank that uses a cannister filter... I got too lazy trying to hide my heaters!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
looks good. I especially like that you have taken care to try and hide equipment - I've switched to exclusively using hydor inline heaters with any tank that uses a cannister filter... I got too lazy trying to hide my heaters!
Thanks! Yes, I do my best, but sometimes not that inconspicuous, hahaha. The heater came with the tank and is a bit overkill so I thought of getting a slightly smaller one, but it's probably better in the long run. Also thought about the inline heaters....how do you like yours? Easy to setup and effective?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
February 14, 2018

New plants! I had been looking for somewhere to get Cryptocoryne Flamingo within Canada for at least a couple of months, and happened to spot some while browsing Theplantguy's site, so had to order it. I also wanted some Hydrocotyle tripartita, so threw some of that in the cart too, and then had to sit and wait. Both looked in excellent shape when I received them despite the recent weather, and I got them into the tank.

Both are in the back left corner:

I couldn't bring myself to let all of my Staurogyne cuttings go to waste on my first major trim, so I put some in a "Dixie cup planter" haha:

And, an updated schematic of my plant layout:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Enjoyed reading your tank journal, especially with all the updated pics. Thanks for sharing with our community. Love your choice of fish.

Anthony
Thanks, I was hoping to stir up a few others to put tank journals together. Looks like there's a few that have been active over past couple of months. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
March 28, 2019

Quick update. Started dosing Equilibrium about a week ago. Boosted the GH up to 8. So far plants seem to be doing well, but not sure if there's a noticeable difference. Probably will take at least another week or two. Gave a trim to a few things, including the Rotala Vietnam and R wallichii. Hairgrass and Marsilea continue to fill in nicely, but slowly. I'm also very happy with the Buce and Anubias growth on the driftwood.

Also, considering a few scape changes and looking for input if anybody has any. I may have a few too many red plants, but who's counting. :) Considering removing the Heteranthera from the tank, but wondering if the right side will have too many red/dark green species, and not enough bright. Also thinking about switching the Hydrocotyle and Hygrophila araguaia in the back left corner around, so don't have the Hygrophila right beside the red R Vietnam. Thoughts?

And some updated pics:

FTS

Right Side

Left Side

Marsilea and Hairgrass

Back Corner, with Driftwood

Hydrocotyle and Hygrophila

·
Registered
49 Posts
please let there be an update. This is so great.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts