·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a craigslist deal for this 46 bow-front

Starting off with my first canister filter
Marineland C-220
Flourite Black substrate

So i put in the substrate... filled it with water... and then my buddy told me that you should put a plate down and pour the water on the plate to avoid stirring up the substrate so much... TOO LATE

Thanks for looking... i'll be updating this as soon as it clears up and i get another pay check

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will definately be planted, I don't have a CO2 system but i have a big jug of excel that i use on my 55 gal tank. Until i can invest in the injection i'm just going to stick with excel. It's doing a great job in the other tank

The light will eventually be a Hagen GLO T5 high output with probably a 10,000k and a colourmax bulb

this will be next pay check

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hmm. Now I`m thinking of getting a bow front tank :D. Liking the style of it :D

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 2wheelsx2,

and clintgv, it looks so much better than my 55, it's deeper and wider than my other tank and the bow just adds a little more to the area. apparently it also magnifies everything inside, i guess i'll find out if that's just a myth or what pretty soon

More pics to come soon!

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
just a suggestion....next time you use Flourite, rinse it out before putting it in the tank, it hardly gets rinsed before it goes into the bag & as you found out the hard way it has alot of unnecessary residual dust in it, more so than the other substrates. Very nice start tho and look forward to seeing it as it comes along.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Thanks 2wheelsx2,

and clintgv, it looks so much better than my 55, it's deeper and wider than my other tank and the bow just adds a little more to the area. apparently it also magnifies everything inside, i guess i'll find out if that's just a myth or what pretty soon

More pics to come soon!
My tanks don't seem to magnify anything noticable. Maybe there is a small amount of magnification, but it is minor. It is a nice size tank to work with.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
46 Gal Bow-Front Update

After my substrate decided to settle, i've gone to PJ's in richmond and picked up a couple pieces of Malaysia wood. I've trimmed a few of the plants in my 55 gal. and transfered them over to the new tank.

Then my buddy Neoh gave me some trimmings from his tank and...

I also transfered my big Bala shark into the new tank to give him a bit more open water

These pictures were taken minutes after planting the tank so most of the plants looked bunched up or hunched over, they haven't got a chance to take root and begin growing again, i'm just getting excited to see my second tank take shape. More pictures to come!

What do you guys think so far?

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
go to your original post in the thread , click edit on the lower right, then click go advanced. You can change it from there. Make sure you save changes and your done.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after a lengthy visit with the good guys at IPU in Richmond I've decided to go with Angels for this tank. I've also picked up a Hagen GLO high output fixture for the plants. I'm using a Coral Life Colourmax bulb and a GLO PowerGLO bulb. Anyone have experience with this combination?
The Angels are looking great so far and I've also added a few Killifish who seem to be right at home in the tank already, though as it turns out, they are jumpers and i had to pick one of them off the carpet already :( The Bala has been sold to IPU so if your in the market for a large one then go pick him up!
Here's some pics so far

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Looking good so far.I also have the Hagen Glo T5 fixture and it hasnt dissapointed me at tall.Good results with it so far , and iam sure the same will be for you as well.Nice looking angels as well , growing them out should be interesting.If i may , a couple stones or rocks and another piece of driftwood could round out this setup.Just a thought.A dark background too will hide all the wires you're using.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Luke! I'm very happy with the GLO fixture as i've got a 48" on my 55 gallon tank and the plants are doing great in there.
I've been trying to figure out what to do with the background. Originally i was just going to use a blank black sheet but I really want to do one of those 3D background panels. The problem is that the tank has to be empty to install one of those, so unless i can figure a way to get it into the tank while it's full (or at least half full during a water change) i don't know if it's going to happen

1 - 20 of 35 Posts