British Columbia Aquariums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
There haven't been too many changes except the addition of a clump of java fern and an Anubias on the wood in the middle, but today, courtesy of J&L's sale, I got some new toys:

With the new flow pattern, everything got stirred up, so I'll wait a while for new pics. However, the tank looks much cleaner without all the clutter. I just have to get a background sorted out for it so I don't see the stuff in the back now.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nice new toys Gary. Those inline heaters are the best heaters invented. Love the feeling of getting new toys ;)
Didn't know you had a tiny L201 in there??
Hahaha...that's actually an L368, but hard to tell at that size. In about 10 years that guy will be 12". :D

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Look forward to seeing more pics ;).
Ask and you shall receive. :D

FTS - repositioned the tubing and the UV and haven't figured out how to hide the hose yet. It is now driven by the cranked down Fluval 3+.

All plecos disappeared, so got a shot of the school of jumbo cardinals that I got last month from Charles:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Liking the revised scape alot Gary! Put in a few plants as well, its got a more natural feel to it.New toys as well,it that a new cansister i see:)? Always a fan of cardinals and i still want some, but you know what happened to my school :eek: and now only one lives! Hows the pleco faternity doing in this setup?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Liking the revised scape alot Gary! Put in a few plants as well, its got a more natural feel to it.New toys as well,it that a new cansister i see:)? Always a fan of cardinals and i still want some, but you know what happened to my school :eek: and now only one lives! Hows the pleco faternity doing in this setup?
Yes, you probably missed that post, but on post #43 there are pics of the Hydor ETH 300 and the Eheim 2075 from J&L. I love how quiet it is now, and you can see the surface movement from the spraybar.

Nice new layout. Nice new blue and red birds. Those catfish, I tell you...for a new set of eyes, you'd think the tank is only housing tetras. It's nice to see another new setup evolve. I'm keeping my eyes out on the plant growth...i see 4 leaf blades of anubias....haha
Hahaha...yeah, I bleached the Anubias before putting it in there, so it's just recovering now. Cleaned out the Rena Smartfilter 20 as I'm contemplating being a seller at the BCA auction, and boy....yuuuuuuck! Got a spare Ebo Jager 205w heater now too. All kinds of spare equipment.

I can actually see the plecos, but they are totally in the shade and difficult to photograph properly.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
It's been a while since I posted on my threads, so I thought I would give a minor update. Life's been happening lately, so I have been barely able to keep up with my tanks and my work.

Anyway, I forgot to update that a wee L273 got added to this tank. I've been trying to get a pic, but so far, I've only seen the little guy once since he went in. I'm hoping to find him some pseuda friends. The Scobi's and Peckoltia have been growing very rapidly in this tank, so I'm hoping the L134's will be breeding in it next year. Over the winter, I plan to pull out the L75's to prevent them from bullying the L134's.

Also, the cherry shrimp population has exploded, so now it looks like there are shrimp everywhere. They do make very good cleanup crews though.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just one update. Fish are growing up, but with all the rocks and wood it's difficult to photograph. But the Scobiancistrus seem to be the most bold. This guy has just about doubled in size since I got him in the summer.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Just one update. Fish are growing up, but with all the rocks and wood it's difficult to photograph. But the Scobiancistrus seem to be the most bold. This guy has just about doubled in size since I got him in the summer.

Nice looking pleco. I missed out on this one, didn't even know you had this in this tank.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
beauty pics! what's that reefkeeper do?
This is the unit:
Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite Aquarium Controller (L1)

Controls my hydor heater to 0.1 F if I wanted it to (but I set it to a tolerance of 0.2 C), turns the lights on and off (and moonlights if I had them in a module) and puts my filter, UV, and pump on standby when I feed so the food is not blown all over the tank. I have one with an extra PC4 (powerbar) that controls 2 banks of lights 6 moonlights, 3 pumps and my 2078. You can also get pH modules and other stuff which isn't really needed for fw setups. But the most useful is controller the heater. Much more accurate and reliable than the flimsy things in most of in tank heaters.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
What an amazing and beautiful setup! Artistically done and brilliantly engineered, too.

How do you find the white sand for maintenance? Do you think it would work in a nano betta tank?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
What an amazing and beautiful setup! Artistically done and brilliantly engineered, too.

How do you find the white sand for maintenance? Do you think it would work in a nano betta tank?
Thank you. Some elements are a bit ugly (no background and the hose running across to drive the UV), but this started out as a quarantine and a grow out tank and I got it going at the last minute, so I'll have to fix those things on the fly.

The white Estes sand is great, but I have pretty high flow in all my tanks so the debris is swept towards the filters. I don't know how it would work in a smaller betta tank where the flow would be much lower. But of course a betta wouldn't put out nearly as much waste as my plecos, so it should be straight forward. I keep the lighting fairly low in my sand substrate tanks and when I need to vac the bottom I just stir it up with my hand first and then wave the gravel vac above the debris, and a little sand gets sucked up, but really not a big problem.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
This is the unit:
Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite Aquarium Controller (L1)

Controls my hydor heater to 0.1 F if I wanted it to (but I set it to a tolerance of 0.2 C), turns the lights on and off (and moonlights if I had them in a module) and puts my filter, UV, and pump on standby when I feed so the food is not blown all over the tank. I have one with an extra PC4 (powerbar) that controls 2 banks of lights 6 moonlights, 3 pumps and my 2078. You can also get pH modules and other stuff which isn't really needed for fw setups. But the most useful is controller the heater. Much more accurate and reliable than the flimsy things in most of in tank heaters.
very cool... the one thing i didn't see on the sight was for the temp control, does it have it's own heater or do you just set your heater on high and it controls when power goes to the heater?

That standby function would be real handy when doing a water change so you dont have to go and unplug the filters

41 - 60 of 85 Posts