British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey BCAQUARIA!

After much consideration, I decided to do a bare-bottom LPS dominated reef tank. Skimmer-less, and sump-less.
Why? Because I noticed an intense growth of my frogspawn corals, torch, zoathids (etc) when I placed it inside a 10 gallon holding tank. Did some research and decided that this was the best way to do it. I love how they move with the wave, I just can’t seem to really love sps yet.
I will be housing limited livestock to make room for soft corals.
Specs:
95 x 45 x 45 cm starphire tank (roughly 47 gallons)
Custom ada stand with fireproof/waterproof black matte film
Pharos 90W led lighting
Vortech MP40W Gen 2 with new SKF Bearings
Fluval 300w digital heater
Livestock:
2 clownfish
1 yasha ray goby
Might add an angelfish and a wrasse later on.
Corals:
Acans, acans and more acans!

Here are some pictures!
The stand doors are not done yet :redface:

There are kicks for the bottom portion, so if I ever change my mind on adding a sump, then I can. You can also tell that the back is open because I originally wanted a sump

I hope you guys enjoyed the pictures! I'll keep the thread updated with what not.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Wow love those high end equipments! It's gonna be a great looking setup!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Very nice. Is that the tank from AQ and did you make the stand yourself? I really like the clean look of the setup.
For a light stand, how about just take a conduit pipe and bend it over the tank to hang the light from? I made mind from plastic ones because I didn't have the necessary equipment to bend and cut the metal pipe, but the downside is that the plastic pipe bends just slightly from the weight of the light. I'm sure switching to metal would solve that problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a conduit bender you could borrow. I think I also have an unpainted conduit stand downstairs. It came with the last tank I bought but I made a different one. I can try to find a picture of it if you are interested. It's really easy to make a stand though. Here is the guide I used.

Planted Aquarium Tank Articles - How to Make a Light Stand with Electrical Conduit - Project Aquarium
Sweet! I am definitely interested. Could you send me some pictures of the one you have? We'll keep in touch for the conduit, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
515 Posts
cool, do you need gloves to handle them? are the dangerous to people?

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
cool, do you need gloves to handle them? are the dangerous to people?
It is usually recommend to use glove to handle any coral or live stock, but I don't think most of us follow that rule. Anemone would not sting u unless they think you are "food". Especially BTA are not as aggressive as some others like carpets etc, you should be fine touching it, all you will feel is that they are very sticky.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts