British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did a water change 2 days ago on the 32 gal. Everything was normal. Yesterday, normal. This morning, normal. This evening.... Heater broken in 2. Literally half the glass on the substrate and the other half still attached. Wires were exposed. I unplugged everything. The water was FREEZING! I cleaned it all up and put in a new heater. Not really new but its what I had from a previous tank. OMG. Now we wait to see what plants and inhabitants die from the sudden temperature changes. :(

On a side note. I picked up some pool filter sand for the 55 gallon aquarium. Activ-Flora substrate is also on order for the 55 as well :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The contractor came by today to work on the plaster, painting and cleaning up the trim and base boards before painting those again tomorrow. While the renos are taking place, I was watching some nature vids on youtube for inspiration. Here are some I really enjoyed:

And this documentary was really cool. I enjoyed this one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So far nothing has died or suffered from the heater failure, YAY! I put in my Ebo Jagger that I was saving for the 55. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
My ludwigia is perking up. It was near death from the neglect in the 32. It is looking a lot cleaner in there now that I can get into the room to access the tank properly. Everything is perking up. I am dosing Flourish Excel daily. No ferts yet. I am trying to get the algae under control. I cut out every leaf that had bba on it, and there was lots. Cut out any leaf that was dying or damaged in any way. There is a lot of mulm and detritus around the tank that I am trying to clean up as well. The filter is being cleaned out every other day with all the crud its collecting. I feel so bad for my little aquarium. But I need to take care of the plants now and make everything look good before I add them to my 55.

There are so many plant sales right now and it is so tempting! I must resist!
The wood is still soaking and I am changing out the water every day. Its now a light yellow colour instead of black tea. There is still one piece of wood that refuses to sink!

I am going to pick up some super glue so I can glue some plants onto wood when its aqua scaping time.

I am aiming for a triangle or U-shaped scape. The open area will be on the left hand side because that is in towards the living room.

I am drawing up a potential scape because I'm bored and want to get things going.

Java fern
Java fern trident
Bolbitus
Crypto Crispula
Crypto windetti
Anubias nana
Anubias nana petit
Bucephalandra
Hygro 53B

Any other suggestions for interesting contrasting leaf shapes? I do not want carpeting foreground plants. That area will stay open. I wonder about green amazon sword in the background... hmmm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Went to the lfs today to see if my stand was in. Nope, and boy it was empty. They are having trouble getting anything in because there are so few workers at the warehouses due to covid. They are waiting on so many orders. In any case they did have some gorgeous tiger barbs in. Albino, platinum, green, yellow and regular. I got all the regular that were left. 5 . But they are the best I have seen in a long time. I could not pass them up. They are in my 32 gal for now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The 32 is coming along now that I can get to it.

20210103_205743.jpg

20210103_205637.jpg

20210103_205614.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Jan 10, 2021 update: Yesterday 50%-ish WC. Added Tropical liquid ferts and Flourish Excel. Excel is dosed daily.
Purchased 6 Black Ruby Barbs and 3 bundles of "mystery plants" for 1.99 each. They were 12 plants of cryptocoryne windetii 'tropica', another tall crypt, not sure what it is AND a baby hitchhiker of some sort. Its either a hygro or another crypt, but its teeny weeny.

Today: Added my old Hydor Koriala 2 for more flow. The barbs are LOVING IT! Algae is decreasing as is normal now that I can get to the tank and care for it properly. Tank looks better and better every day. Shame its all going to get pulled apart for the 55... but I am okay with that.
Stand has not arrived yet. House renovations took a step back. Our brand new ceiling had water dripping from it all over the place (kitchen, living and dining room) :( Called someone to take a look. Its a new roof and there are no pipes up there. It ended up being from the electricians when they were working up there. They pulled the insulation back and never put it back to its spot. The water was all from condensation. We cranked the heat, insulation was replaced and the water is now drying up. I called the electricians and I was pretty upset. Once things dry we will see what the damage is.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts