British Columbia Aquariums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Very nice blue tang! Wish I can keep tangs lol.
Thanks m_class2g. Why not? At least it will give you an excuse to get a bigger tank in the near future :bigsmile:

·
Registered
397 Posts
looking good mylon. and no its not time for me to switch yet. i will wait until my wife and kids see ur tanks in person and say dad can we have that and i will say talk to your mom. thats the plan.

Reactions: crimper

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update time...

Nothing much going on, here's a quick video of my anemone hosting my 2 black clowns... did I say 2? Yes it is :lol:

Enjoying the company of Willie my blue tang. And yes will post some close up pics :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Update finally...

Got sick during the Holidays and was not able to attend to all my tanks, too bad I lost Willie my blue tang :(

My anemone gets bigger and bigger, the 2 black clowns are lovin it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I like following this tank. I want to do a small 29-36g reef tank in my home office but I want to do it as cheap as possible. I want to try to avoid using a sump, skimmer, etc. to keep costs down but I've been wondering about the long term success in a tank like that. Looks like yours is doing great!!

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
I like following this tank. I want to do a small 29-36g reef tank in my home office but I want to do it as cheap as possible. I want to try to avoid using a sump, skimmer, etc. to keep costs down but I've been wondering about the long term success in a tank like that. Looks like yours is doing great!!
The three main things with doing it KISS like this is low bioload, frequent regular water changes, and don't overfeed or over dose anything cause you don't have the volume to dilute nor the skimmer to remove the excess.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Nice what light do you have might need to move them higher
Hi Scott, it is a Sunlight TEK T5HO. I'm still acclamating them and will be moved on top of the rocks soon :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The three main things with doing it KISS like this is low bioload, frequent regular water changes, and don't overfeed or over dose anything cause you don't have the volume to dilute nor the skimmer to remove the excess.
Anthony is right, I find doing frequent WC only cost effective on small tanks maybe 50G to 60G max. In my case the saltmix cost per week @ 4G is only about $1.50, that's less than $7 a month. I kept my feedings at minimum as not to have nitrate/nitrite/phosphate problem.

With the current setup, I have proven that anybody can have a simple reef setup without breaking the bank. And maybe after I have accumulated all the hardware needed, I will be able to do a full blown reef setup with all the bells and whistles, who knows. :bigsmile:

Ok how many baulbs 4 or 6 ?
I'm running 4 right now and will add 2 more if needed, I'm just testing the waters right now and have my feet wet on those SPS corals :D

41 - 60 of 93 Posts