British Columbia Aquariums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Time for an update, it's been a while.

This tank got a rough summer, temperature swing caused so much problems and lost almost all my sps. Also got Red Slime algae outbreak in the middle of summer but was lucky enough to save my red planet from RTN.

I also lost my copperband butterfly after she ripped off all the aiptasia in my tank. She was starved to death as she wouldn't eat anything.

However on the positive, my Magnificent Anemone keeps on growing, she is now around 18" in diameter when fully opened and needed to be transferred. My black clown also needs privacy as they are up for a dance. I immediately setup a 40G frag/quarantine tank, that was a nice excuse for setting another salty tank. ;)

With this, I took the chance to re-scape the tank. I removed the shallow sand bed to make my tank maintenance easier and added more home made reef rocks to make it more pleasing to the eyes. I don't like the looks of Bare Bottom. ;)

I then drilled the tank and install a sump underneath and transfer some of the equipments for a cleaner look. I also added an Evergrow D2120 Led fixture and run it parallel to the existing T5 fixture. This made the corals' color popped.

I also made several addition to the tank's tenants, a yellow tang a pair of Black Ice Clowns and a Clown was added. I must admit, this setup exceeded my low cost budget :lol:

Here is the FTS taken today (on Actinic):

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
My Yellow Tang, she's almost 2 moths now. Got it as a Birthday present from my Buddy.

She is eating well and the Boss of the tank.

Brown (Diatom) Algae took over my home made reef rocks, but they are now under control. Lesson learned, "Rocks should be fully cured before adding it to your reef." The magic word is "Time and Patience." Thanks to my CUC and Yellow tang for munching those stubborn nuisance algae.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
No more guessing game on my Tanks PAR, I borrowed a PAR meter from a fellow reefer. Thanks a lot Bill.

Here are the PAR readings with CH1 (Full Spectrum) is @ 15% and CH2 (Blues) is @ 50%. I'm using this settings to acclimate my newly acquired acros.

The par readings are a little bit skewed to the front as I'm running it parallel with a 3 bulb T5 fixture.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
PAR readings with CH1 (Full Spectrum) is @ 45% and CH2 (Blues) is @ 90%. This will be the ideal settings and will be set on this after the Acro acclimation, 700 on top of the water and 200 at the tank's floor.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts