British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a terrarium hobbyist. I decided to try a water terrarium which is basically a 5G extra large vase under grow lights. Best referred to as a water feature. It has a dwarf water lily, which hasn't bloomed yet but still thriving and a few other dwarf pond-like plants. Plant-wise I'm satisfied. There is quite a bit of plant die-off from natural regeneration so my boyfriend thought we should add some shrimp. He has owned many freshwater and saltwater aquariums in the past. He purchased blue shrimp (Neocaridina Davidi), acclimated them correctly and then put them in. They all died within 3-4 days. The best thing that came out of this is that freeloader snails are still alive and happily eating up algae. I believe these are ramshorn, but they are brown and about 1cm each (2 snails). My opinion is the shrimp died because the water quality wasn't perfect. My boyfriend believes it was water quality and possibly temperature. We live in Houston, Texas and our home temperature is always set between 70-74 so I just don't think it would have killed shrimp.

I would love the idea of adding shrimp, but I need survivors. Anyone have any recommendations? If a cool patterned snail or two can be considered, I'm interested in that too. Here are the parameters:
Water has been changed out a few times since so we have it more regulated
5-6gallon total capacity
no circulation
no filter
70-74 degrees Fahrenheit
plenty of dead plant matter
plenty of algae growing among the rocks

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am no shrimp/snail expert, but I would think that water changes would not really be enough. Some ongoing filtration/filter would probably improve the survival rate. Maybe something like the one currently for sale in this site's classifieds (i.e. SunFun)?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Freshwater Shrimps in general live insteady moving water so plenty of oxygen is in the water. I personally caught some near the water falls ( red cherry shrimps ). The temperature doesn't really matter much I don't think since the ones I caught were in almost freezing temperature. Also small tank means less space so not a lot of inhabitant or else meaning only strong survive and eat each other. Yes.. even shrimp eat the dead shrimp

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you're going to keep shrimp, I'd suggest adding a small sponge filter. I also wouldn't start out with expensive shrimp like blue shrimp. I'd probably start out with red cherry shrimp and see how they do or ghost shrimp (even cheaper, but harder to see)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd also recommend to start with cherry shrimp. Had them in 5 gal with lots of plants and without filter - no problem.
You do dechlorinate water, right?
Welcome to bcaquaria!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using a water filtration system that was originally setup for my boyfriend's saltwater fish tank. It does dechlorinate the water. If you were successful with the same setup, then I think it is because we hadn't completed enough water switchouts and started with more difficult shrimp. Those two little leftover snails sure are happy so the water quality can't be terrible. I"m going to try some cherry shrimp and will report back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts