British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got an extra 5gallon tank. Just wondering if I could maybe make a small colony of shrimps in there? and ofcourse it will be planted too :).

Any shrimp people out there that can answer this question for me? :D

Thanks in advance,
Clint.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
I don't see why not, if you cycle the tank properly. The key is be patience and make sure the tank is really stable. Of course pick the species wisely :) ;0

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see why not, if you cycle the tank properly. The key is be patience and make sure the tank is really stable. Of course pick the species wisely :) ;0
Ok cool. Thanks shaobo. I'll be patient on letting it cycle and stable :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can definitely use a stable five gallon. Roger's has a bunch of cherries in theirs.
Oh ok. Thanks. Do they have lots in the 5 gallon?
Is there such thing as over stocking on shrimps? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
At times I host at least 300 CRS in my 20 gallon long, it will have to depends on your filtration and tank size. Just start with a small colony of cherries with both males and females(maybe 10-20), in a few months you should have a good number of them. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 5 gallon I use for my shrimp (Red Cherry Shrimp) breeding. When they get big enough I transfer them to my 70 gallon. I must have at least 60 in there now (started with 20 about two months ago). Most of them are less than 2mm long so it's not a problem. I have java moss in there, which I think they like because a lot of them hide in there (and I have a feeling the moss absorbs a lot of the excess nutrients.) Its been 2 months since i started the setup (with a properly cycled tank), and I have yet to change my water...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At times I host at least 300 CRS in my 20 gallon long, it will have to depends on your filtration and tank size. Just start with a small colony of cherries with both males and females(maybe 10-20), in a few months you should have a good number of them. :)
I'm planning on having a sponge filter and hob filter. Ok thanks shaobo. I will start with 10-20 :).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 5 gallon I use for my shrimp (Red Cherry Shrimp) breeding. When they get big enough I transfer them to my 70 gallon. I must have at least 60 in there now (started with 20 about two months ago). Most of them are less than 2mm long so it's not a problem. I have java moss in there, which I think they like because a lot of them hide in there (and I have a feeling the moss absorbs a lot of the excess nutrients.) Its been 2 months since i started the setup (with a properly cycled tank), and I have yet to change my water...
Very nice :). Just wonder, what kind of filters for you have for it? Hob filter and sponge filter?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks. So hob filter and sponge filter it is :D

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Ok thanks. So hob filter and sponge filter it is :D
Hey Clint,not sure if you understood what InInfraredDream meant, thats a HOB filter with a pre filter sponge over the intake (mainly so they don't get sucked in , but they also feed off of it. I use the Fluval Edge Aquarium Pre-Filter Sponge on my intakes, they are only $2.99 most places, petsmart and Petcetera carries them and they fit perfectly over most intakes. Here's what they are Hagen Fluval Edge Aquarium Pre-Filter Sponge at PETCO

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Clint,not sure if you understood what InInfraredDream meant, thats a HOB filter with a pre filter sponge over the intake (mainly so they don't get sucked in , but they also feed off of it. I use the Fluval Edge Aquarium Pre-Filter Sponge on my intakes, they are only $2.99 most places, petsmart and Petcetera carries them and they fit perfectly over most intakes. Here's what they are Hagen Fluval Edge Aquarium Pre-Filter Sponge at PETCO
Yep I understood it :). Was just saying that I was gonna use an HOB and sponge filter ^^.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
ok lol just making sure.... looked like you were gonna buy a sponge filter and a HOB....also if you were in need of some java moss , I seen IPU had a betta bowl full for like 3 or 4 bucks

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok lol just making sure.... looked like you were gonna buy a sponge filter and a HOB....also if you were in need of some java moss , I seen IPU had a betta bowl full for like 3 or 4 bucks
Ok thanks :).

·
Registered
382 Posts
hey not to steal the thunder from the thread here, but whats the easiest shrimps to start with? i have a 5G i was planning for shrimps, i tried wo ghost shrimp for a dry run and after two weeks one is dead and other is mia ;P

1 - 20 of 26 Posts