British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where this should be posted...

NIIGATA - About 7,000 fish died Friday in a water tank at an aquarium in Niigata after workers mistakenly poured in an antiseptic substance with too great a density. Workers at the Niigata City Aquarium noticed the fish, including sardines, damselfish and rays, were dying around 10 a.m. in the aquarium's largest water tank, about 30 minutes after the substance was added.

The workers added the antiseptic as the water had looked dirty. The density was believed to be greater than the correct level. The aquarium keeps more than 20,000 fish, penguins, dolphins and other sea animals.
http://www.japantoday.com/category/...d-by-antiseptic-substance-at-niigata-aquarium

What a disaster!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
that is a real shame.....but wow...what an aquarium....just think how many discus could go into that tank.....lol
Always look on the bright side :p

A definate loss for sure. Its sad to see such an aquarium fail to such a stupid mistake

·
Registered
752 Posts
the trouble is they dont train anyone properly just toss them in and way dont kill anything

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Where's the fish? o_O there's absolutely nothing left! sigh... sux... now they're just gonna rob our ocean again!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Where's the fish? o_O there's absolutely nothing left! sigh... sux... now they're just gonna rob our ocean again!
well...its pretty unfortunate for your incident...now imagine the japanese aquarium...hope your tank is all good now...and hope the japanese aquarium recover too

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
That is an interesting point. I wonder how they are going to replace all those fish.

I hate to think they are just going to go into the oceans and disturb the ecosystem, but after watching the cove I wouldn't be entirely surprised. Hopefully they have a breeding program behind the scenes that they restock from or trade with other aquariums.

·
Registered
65 Posts
=( fishies..........

the Vancouer Aquarium breed some of their stock, and sell them to other aquariums around the world. But there are many species that I'm sure can't be bred inside, or hasn't been tried yet. So yes, they will be taken from the ocean.

It's the price for education though....if we didn't have aquariums, most inner city kids will never see fish unless they're dead in the market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts