British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some input on what to keep in my 75G tank. I've always been interested in cichlid but have tended towards the larger species in the past. As such I usually eventually end up with one very large fish in my 75G tank(Oscars, Jags, FHs etc). I'd like to have more of a "community" type setup while still keeping cichlids. All I have in the tank now is 4 synodontis cats and a pleco.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Maybe you will be interested in a Yellow lab,Yellow tail Acei, and demasoni set up?

I currently have Yellow labs and Yellow Tail Acei's and they look wonderful schooling together and such. Right now just looking for cheap demasoni's to add to the group :).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Really depends on what type you are looking for.

Mbunas are small and require caves and most are very aggressive, Haps are big, require open waters and usually more mellow.

Both have good colors and have pros and cons. Which type are you looking at? Big fish or small fish?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I was thinking something on the larger side. Don't Haps require a higher pH than we have in N.W.?
All African Cichlids require a higher pH and you will either need to use pH salt, coral sand/aragonite substrate or limestones etc. There are cheap alternatives to solve that problem :)

If you want to go Hap, I would suggest to go male only tank as females are just plain grey.

·
Registered
197 Posts
there are a few medium sized SA cichlids that might fit the bill. Keyhole, blue acara, smaller geophagus, angelfish, etc. Then you have awhole host of dwarf cihclids. Charles has some apistograma inca that look pretty neat.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
there are a few medium sized SA cichlids that might fit the bill. Keyhole, blue acara, smaller geophagus, angelfish, etc. Then you have awhole host of dwarf cihclids. Charles has some apistograma inca that look pretty neat.
This is also a good idea.

If you dont mind small ones, some of the above will fit perfectly. You can also add Rams (lots of varieties) to the list.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Really depends on what type you are looking for.

Mbunas are small and require caves and most are very aggressive, Haps are big, require open waters and usually more mellow.

Both have good colors and have pros and cons. Which type are you looking at? Big fish or small fish?
Two options with mbunas actually. Have no decorations, so no territories, and then (if you get the smaller mbunas) get at least 15 mbunas to minimize the aggression... preferably the more peaceful in this type, the better :D

Or the other way, what Smiladon said. Both can look very nice, but the lots of caves is better in the end;).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts