British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January 2016

February 2016, with Mexican Bowl Rock. They're really happy and I like the look.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of big fish for that size tank. I know you're supposed to overcrowd African cichlid tanks to disperse aggression by not allowing them to become territorial, but that still looks like a very heavy bioload. I really like the red one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks good. What are you running for filters?

Looks like its stocked to the max, but not horribly over crowded if you have good filtration and w/c.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm running an XP3 (350 gph), Fluval 404 (340 gph), and an AC 70 (~275 gph), for a total of 965 gph of filtration. I also run a powerhead attached to a large sponge filter which is hidden behind the rock/facade on the left. I test regularly, and do a 30-40% water change every 5-7 days, with smaller "gravel vac" changes every 2-3 days. So far so good!

The bowl rock is quite porous, I do have a pleco in there but the cichlids seem to do a good job keeping the pockets empty. They're constantly spreading sand to the tops of the rocks, removing said sand, looking for food...

All that said, a bigger tank is very likely in the near future :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts