·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just set this up last night!

Equipment:

Tank:
48x18x24" standard footprint tank
Placed on an iron stand covered in wood w/ homemade hood [I didn't make this myself]

Filtration:
Aquaclear 70
Fusion 700 w/ size 4 hydro pro sponge
Hopefully getting an FX5 when the wallet can afford it

Power heads:
2x Koralia 4

Heater:
250W Jager ebo

Decor:
46x16" eggcrate
aragonite sugar sand with crushed coral (about 1" bed)
~400 lbs of Basalt
Java fern wedged into the rock

Stocking: [edited as of 28-DEC-2013]
4x Pseudotropheus Acei "Yellow Tail"
10x Synodontis Petricola
10x Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga
4x Metriaclima Estherae "Cherry Red"
3x Pseudotropheus Flavus Chinyankwazi
6x Metriaclima sp. "Elongatus Chewere"
1x Long-fin Silvertip Bristlenose Pleco
?x Acei fry

P1010653.jpg

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Looking good Steve. That's a ton of rock in there. The Mbunas should feel right at home :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a lot of flow and I've only had fish in there for a day but the idea behind it is they expend their energy swimming instead of attacking each other. There's also a few slower spots to sleep in due to all the rockwork. Honestly no idea how itll work out over time though.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
very nice!!! maybe I should consider switching from apistos tank to african tank :) it is so hard to find good/rare apistos :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to find good africans in BC too =P but there's a group order going on in the group order classified section if you're seriously interested!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
yes i like it too. i worry about the one small rock on top bridging the others. there isnt much area holding it on to the left and although your sand looks all spiffy now, when u get it stocked more the males will dig and spit it out from under the rock work and it may fall and crack the glass or fall on a fish. looks great tho.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rocks are actually lying on eggcrate and not sand so they shouldn't shift from digging. The bottom 4 rocks that most of the rockwork is sitting on are actually cut pieces of rock so they lie flat on the eggcrate and when buried by a bit of sand look like they are deeply burried. I do worry about that one piece on the top though so I may move it soon!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The piece that you are worried about doesn't fit IMO anyways. Try removing it or placing it somewhere else. Its going to fall for sure.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
lol Hmm I have been thinking about African cichlids as my wife wants to see some nice african cichlids in my 90G instead of tons of SA dwarf cichlids :D. For now, I gotta stick with my SA dwarf cichlids.. I LOVE them.. Maybe I should convince my wife to have ANOTHER tank for African lol.

It's hard to find good africans in BC too =P but there's a group order going on in the group order classified section if you're seriously interested!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some pic updates!

...as you can see I am not a photographer LOL

P1010691.jpg
P1010674.jpg
P1010686.jpg
P1010687.jpg
P1010690.jpg

Reactions: jhj0112

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Looking good Steve. There's going to be lots of color in your tank when those fish grow. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW! very nice fishes! are they the fishes that you got from the group buy?? really nice! good work!
Yeah I put in 34 new fish from the group buy into this tank

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking good Steve. There's going to be lots of color in your tank when those fish grow. :)
I hope so! Already a few of the bigger guys are starting to build their territories :D Probably going to take quite a few months before most of my guys colour up properly though.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a video and another picture.. both terrible but it's the best I could do. These fish HATE the camera!

P1010727.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts