British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wondering. Right now I have a 90 Gallon - going with peaceful fish.

I have 2 uarus (spike and Ike)
2 Tin foils (Jay and Silent Bob)
1 Bristlenose

Looking to add 2 more or 4 more pending.

Thinking 2 gold severums or 3 Clown Loaches. Or go with both and see who fits the tank better.

Or I could drop the Tin foils, and go with the severums, uarus and clown loaches.

Any imput would be good imput.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so go with a couple severums and the loaches and drop the tinfoils? Figured that none of the species are hostile to just add some more filtration, running xp3 a the moment.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
That's what I think. The tinfoils will be eventually way too big for a 90 so why not just start with manageable fish now. Not sure if you want to go with just 3 loaches, but that's a personal choice I guess. I find them more attractive in bigger groups.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I love tinfoil barbs!
When I get home I'll show you Smiladon's video's =) He inspired me!
And so did 12 Volt man on MFK =) he's got the biggest tinfoils~

Oh, btw... I agree with Gary... check out the link and watch the growth rate!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tinfoils are 6" already and I sold 2 that were 7", the uarus are at least 6-7". The tinfoils remind me of the sea gulls off of Finding Nemo and look great but ugh are they jack russells on speed.

So maybe drop the tinfoils, don't do the severums and get 5 loaches? Do you think the tank is big enough? I have tons of hiding spots and caves.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I think you'd have fewer conflicts if you only had the Uarus. But people told me I should do EBJD's, and Oscar and 2 Chocolates in my 125 and I did and it worked ok. Too much fighting though. Now I have one JD 2 EBJD's and one chocolate and it's pretty peaceful.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But Uarus, clowns and severums are some of the most peacful fish out there yes/no?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm. True that so maybe two uarus and a bunch of clown loaches could be fun.

·
Registered
722 Posts
reminder about how big Uaru's get (10 - 12"). You did not say how big "Spike" & "Ike" are right now, nor what filtration you have. They get messy

I have 3 X 6" Uaru's, 1 Angel and 2 BN pleco's and the tank (90G) is always in need of water change - twice a week. (that's with 2 Fluval 404's and 2 x AC70's which equates to about 12X filtration per hour)

I would hold back with more stock - they like good quality water

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
reminder about how big Uaru's get (10 - 12"). You did not say how big "Spike" & "Ike" are right now, nor what filtration you have. They get messy

I have 3 X 6" Uaru's, 1 Angel and 2 BN pleco's and the tank (90G) is always in need of water change - twice a week. (that's with 2 Fluval 404's and 2 x AC70's which equates to about 12X filtration per hour)

I would hold back with more stock - they like good quality water
Both Uarus are about 6", I had 4 tinfoils closer to 7" and the two uarus, the bristlenose, a bumble bee catfish and a jeweled cichlid in there for almost a year with one xp3 and a fluval u4 and a strong powerhead, 25% water changes every week and I never had any problems. Test my water bi-weekly.

Three large pieces of drift wood, slate rock, no plants and standard gravel. Feed zucchini once every 2 weeks and mix between vegi chiclid food and pellets and blood worms/shrimp every 2 weeks alternating with the zucchini/any plants such as duck weed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been to Smiladons place already, it was a nice set up, but again i only have 2 tinfoils and I bought the power head because they swim in the current of it because I read up on the tinfoils before I bought them :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Humm.. i really really want them =) But honestly... after what Gary just said... that sounds very odd to even house em...
Even if i had an 8ft tank.. and lets say they're 12" each.. they're actually swimming a few steps and they'd hafta turn around again...
really, what size should these be housed under?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before I bought them because they like to continuously swim, I was told to buy a powerful power head and when they want exercise it's kinda like a hamster on a wheel, My fish swim against the power head all the time and non stop, but I would say six - eight foot tank it awesome.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Gary... after what you said... any size tank just seem so wrong now... I'd like a whole bunch in a tank... but that's not much room i guess...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts