British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
found this interesting video ...

"Roland Giroux and his family have such a fish tank, in which they have their beautiful favorite orange fish, that they say is the most special fish they have ever owned. When they come home from work, this Blood Parrot Cichlid creates a big splash to say hello and get Roland's attention. What does he want?
He wants Roland's hand in the tank so that he can be petted! It was amazing to watch this fish mesmerized by the soothing massage. They have this lovely routine every day. Who knew that a fish needs tactile comfort too? "

http://www.sun-gazing.com/knew-fish-crave-tactile-comfort/

·
Registered
413 Posts
That is pretty cool

·
Registered
617 Posts
Petting his parrot cichlid is not going to harm its slime coat.. Handling a fish with dry hands will; but the way he pets that one is not damaging... When I was in my teens , I had a pair of Discus that both loved to be petted. Some Oscars and other cichlids will also rub up against your hand when you go to work in the tank and learn to seek out a petting. Wet hands in the tank and gentle stroking, no attempt to hold onto them and their coat is fine....... but make sure your hands are clean of any soaps or chemicals. Wash your hands and rinse well so there is no residue on them before petting the fish.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Funny just netting a fish removes slime coat but not petting it? I think all that stroking he's doing to that fish must be removing slime coat, He'll figure it out when it gets a infection!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts